The Student Room Group

Middle-class schoolboy, 12, hangs himself after 'bullies taunt he spoke too politely'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Student#254
Well I'm afraid that's not going to happen; though I'm well aware that my comments are harsh but so is society.

Only the strongest WILL survive.

I guess you expect me to say 'Oh what a shame... etc'. :rolleyes:

Shame on you then.

Gaga is not the strongest and people hate her, still she'll survive cause she has money. Your statement is useless then.
Reply 21
Why am I thick? :lolwut:

:smile:
It's Yorkshire. Enough said.

Oh and why are you posting this on here? No one really cares to be honest.

Natural selection at work...Only the strongest will survive and all that stuff!

Not one for compassion then ay?
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's terribly sad when a person kills themselves because of bullying.
I think both the bullies and the parents ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I would add the school also.In my experience,the school either ignore it or are complicit in it. There is still this false belief that bullying is character building among the general public ,which sometimes leads to tragic results.

Incidents like these are nothing new, they have happened for many years, despite the influx of anti bullying policies and political correctness into schools. I don't believe it will ever change until bullying is criminalised, and teacher are really held to loco parentis,.In that if a child walked into school with bruises or a cut lip on his/her face, the teachers would contact the police and they would have the parents taken in for questioning,where they may end up in court . Parents can also find themselves in trouble if there is evidence of emotional bullying to a child.

Why are teachers then allowed to get away with it,if the bullying happens on school property. ? This of course would not eliminate bullying outside school, but at least parents and children can be reassured that they are safe in school.

I believe there should be a multiple response by police to school bullying, the parents of the bully should be spoken too and threatened with social services involvement if they do not become better parents, the bully should be put in front of a youth court and punished, and the school should be investigated and if they are found lacking teachers should be charged with child neglect

I would also consider the idea of significant damages being paid out to victims of the most severe cases of bullying, where it can be proven that long term psychological damage has occured and it can be proven the school was negligent or the bully culpable. . The school, and the bully themselves ought to be able to be sued in theory.
Original post by thunder_chunky
100% of the population? All 500,000 of them>

We should pay attention to things like this, because stories like these are tragic and often avoidable.

It's called hyperbole... much more credible than Daily Mail fabrication.

So, you're saying we should pay attention to an isolated case simply because it appeals to our emotions?

Even when you realise there are far more tragic occurences happening... Somalia, Afghanistan etc. All of which don't get the necessary attention in a paper like the Mail.

I just can't get my head round your logic... I'm trying to figure it out, but there's no natural transgression from "tragic story" to having to pay attention to it.
Original post by Broderss
What a great loss this young white child will be to this country. The school minsters should be ashamed of themselves. Bullying is a real problem and needs to be put a stop to. Why do teachers allow bullying to take place?

Why did you feel the need to point out his race?
Reply 26
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
Why did you feel the need to point out his race?

It's a significant aspect of the case, do you not think?
People get bullied for all sorts of things, this is not unusual.
What a shame. I imagine there was more to it than 'speaking politely', but journalists always need a shocking angle. I can't imagine anything other than a sustained campaign of bullying would produce this result. Very sad.
Original post by callum9999
What's this got to do with the school ministers? Teachers "allow" it to happen usually because they are unaware of it. There's not a lot teachers can actually do to stop it (not that it's an excuse for them not to try).

Though I can't really tell if this is even a remotely serious comment, "this young white child"...

Rubbish, in my experience teachers ignore it but know full well it goes on ,they know who the bullies are, and sometimes they are best mates with them because they are nervous if they do anything the bullies will turn on them ,so they won't be able to teach the class.I saw several teachers get punched and one female teacher was held down by a few lads and busted.

Some of the teachers,not all were frightened of the people I was in class with. Some of the older lads and girls were as big as adults. Sometimes they ignore because they don't care as long as they get paid at the end of the month. And there were several occasions where I saw a teacher actually join in to curry favour.

That is my experience of British state school education, And at private school the teachers seemed to think it was character building.
i think everyone should have respect the family and friends of the victim at this sad time. they lost some-one they were very close to and in such a senseless way. do the teachers not notice anything to help out or are they in on it to? surely from what i gather the teachers must of known something was going on. i hope the bullies have learnt something from this and that they wont do it again.
Reply 31
Haha I saw you're from Eastern Europe... Is that the deep rooted communism talking there?

I'm from Eastern Europe as well. What that's got do to with communism? It's just that both Eastern Europeans and Western Europeans hate *****. Do you get it?
It's a significant aspect of the case, do you not think?

No, I don't. I read that you replied to someone else that it wouldn't have been reported if he was black, but it probably would have. I really don't see the need to bring race into it, it wasn't the reason he was bullied.
Original post by Ministerdonut
I would add the school also.In my experience,the school either ignore it or are complicit in it. There is still this false belief that bullying is character building among the general public ,which sometimes leads to tragic results.

Hmm, it really depends. I was bullied pretty consistently at school for about 3 and a half years. The school wasn't involved as such, but in some ways they didn't do nearly enough to stop it happerning again after the first time they punished those that were bullying me.
I agree, there are still some communities that see bulying as acceptable, thankfully these days they are in the minority.....I think (and hope) that they are anyway.

Incidents like these are nothing new, they have happened for many years, despite the influx of anti bullying policies and political correctness into schools. I don't believe it will ever change until bullying is criminalised, and teacher are really held to loco parentis,.In that if a child walked into school with bruises or a cut lip on his/her face, the teachers would contact the police and they would have the parents taken in for questioning,where they may end up in court . Parents can also find themselves in trouble if there is evidence of emotional bullying to a child.

Why are teachers then allowed to get away with it,if the bullying happens on school property. ? This of course would not eliminate bullying outside school, but at least parents and children can be reassured that they are safe in school.

This is true I guess, however I wouldn't put the blame on the teachers as such unless they were actually part of the problem, encouraging it or purposely turning a blind eye.
The thing I found (from personal experience) is that teachers often do help whether they want to or not, and they do tend to do something but only if you go to them first. That is a big problem because going to a teacher to tell him is very hard, almost impossible for fear that if you do you the bullying would increase.

Therefore that makes it very hard for teachers to be approached. I think they should be far more vigilant than it appears they are at the moment.

As for the blame side, I would leave that more down to the bully and perhaps the parents/guardians/family of the bully(s).

I believe there should be a multiple response by police to school bullying, the parents of the bully should be spoken too and threatened with social services involvement if they do not become better parents, the bully should be put in front of a youth court and punished, and the school should be investigated and if they are found lacking teachers should be charged with child neglect

I agree about the first part, the parents/family taking responsibility as well as the bully. Not sure about the teachers being charged with neglect, for reasons I stated above.

I would also consider the idea of significant damages being paid out to victims of the most severe cases of bullying, where it can be proven that long term psychological damage has occured and it can be proven the school was negligent or the bully culpable. . The school, and the bully themselves ought to be able to be sued in theory.

I agree with you here. There should be no question about it if a child commits suicide due to excessive buillying.

Original post by spazman21
It's called hyperbole... much more credible than Daily Mail fabrication.

So, you're saying we should pay attention to an isolated case simply because it appeals to our emotions?

Even when you realise there are far more tragic occurences happening... Somalia, Afghanistan etc. All of which don't get the necessary attention in a paper like the Mail.

I just can't get my head round your logic... I'm trying to figure it out, but there's no natural transgression from "tragic story" to having to pay attention to it.

I'm not saying we should pay attention to stories like these because it appeals to our emotions, and I don't agree with you saying we shouldn't pay too much attention to stories like these because they are too common.
Because they are too common is something we should be worried about. Because things like this happen at all is one reason we must always pay attention to stories like these.

If a child commits suicide because of intensive bullying, it's easy for you to shrug and say "so what" but what if that was someone close to you. You would want something to be done about it, and frankly I think bullying is disgraceful and cowardly anyway even when it doesn't end up in the victim commiting suicide.
Suicide makes it even more of a despicable act.

So I think brushing stories like this off is wrong, and I know the Daily Mail has somehwhat of a reputation but with stories like these they tend to be slightly less exagerrated and you tend to find almost the same information in other more reputable newspapers, so you can't always use the whole "LOL DAILY FAIL" line.
that's not 'playing the damn race card' i was merely stating an important fact about the case. if this lad was black i wouldn't have drawn attention to his ethnicity because it probably wouldn't even be in the news.

black kids don't get bullied..

.black kids are the cool kids in school, whilst it's the white and nerdy that get excremented on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09XQLmBNrCo

he wouldn't have spoken like a gay if he was black...another bi product of being white and nerdy....

EDIT: Im joking for the misinformed, im not racist like this white and nerdy fool! :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
I find it odd how Children or normal people in general actually do this sort of thing without being an emo or goth etc...
Reply 36
His teachers should have taught him how to say "f*&% off" to them.
Reply 37
I used to get that all the time when I worked in Notts. Some kids asked me for directions to the college entrance then actually took the piss because I pronounced the word foy-eh rather than foy-er.

I didn't hang myself though. It's only banter.
Reply 38
That's really sad. I hate bullies.
This shows that education should start to focus more on building up one's emotional strength and mental well-being. He should have been taught how to deal with bullying. It is tragedic to see how such an apparently happy child is suffering through so much internally.

And even worse, the bullies are also young children who are likely to be suffering from things of their own and in need of help themselves, and Bradley's death, like Shelly-Louise wrote, would likely to haunt them for the rest of their lives. I really don't think it was wise to remind them of their guilt, they are children with emotional weakness too, who might have never imagined things would end up this way.

Tragedy. May his soul rest in peace.

Quick Reply

Latest