The Student Room Group

I used to think there weren't that many stupid people until...

...I started reading youtube comments. I mean about 99% of the space for video comments is taken up by either random people saying stupid things, or two or more morons arguing with each other. The top rated comments for things like Family Guy videos usually just quote parts of that video, and they get a load of morons thumbing them up, probably thinking "duuuuhhh, that was in the video and it was funny LOL."

Also I know my grammar isn't perfect but it's unusual to see a youtube comment that doesn't have at least one major spelling or grammatical error in.

If you want examples just go on any youtube video with a lot of comments.

Are these people an accurate representation of the general public? Or are they mainly children or morons who spend most of their lives on youtube?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the content of the video. If you watch some videos on experimental physics for example, some of the comments are really quite intelligent.
Reply 2
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
...I started reading youtube comments. I mean about 99% of the space for video comments is taken up by either random people saying stupid things, or two or more morons arguing with each other. The top rated comments for things like Family Guy videos usually just quote parts of that video, and they get a load of morons thumbing them up, probably thinking "duuuuhhh, that was in the video and it was funny LOL."

Also I know my grammar isn't perfect but it's unusual to see a youtube comment that doesn't have at least one major spelling or grammatical error in.

Are these people an accurate representation of the general public? Or are they mainly children or morons who spend most of their lives on youtube?

There are a lot of dumb people but youtube comments are not representative of how people think and act most of the time, a forum for example would give a more accurate impression...
True dat. Another annoying thing is 'FIRST!!!!111!!1!'.
Reply 4
No the top rated youtube comments always follow this pattern:

"25 missed the like button"
"The 25 people who pressed the dislike button are [insert group of people opposing the video]"
"25 people are Justin Bieber fans"
"The dislike bar is as big as Justin Bieber's penis"
"The best bit of the video was from 00:00 - end"
"009 Sound System ****ing sucks"

Etc.
SIXTH POST!!!1! loooooooooolz
Reply 6
The YouTube community are just complete morons. That's all there is to it. So easy to Troll though :borat:
It goes back a while.

Reply 8
Original post by iainthegreat
SIXTH POST!!!1! loooooooooolz

sieze of dislike bar is size of justin biebers dick thums me up if u agree lol
Yep.
On my video channel I have a short video of the SAS in the killhouse.
In the two or three years it's been up there it has generated a whole load of "THE SAS ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!11" as well as "THE SAS ARE AMAZING, I HOPE TO JOIN ONE DAY" as well as the usual American Bashing (to which they often respond).

Not to mention the fact that there is also a whole load of false information being spouted there, like what it takes to join and so on.

Most of them if not all are silly spotty kids who play too much "Call of Duty."
But hey, that's the internet for you.
Original post by mikeyd85
It depends on the content of the video. If you watch some videos on experimental physics for example, some of the comments are really quite intelligent.

Clever comments on experimental physics videos fall into the 1% of not stupid comments.

Original post by n1r4v
No the top rated youtube comments always follow this pattern:

"25 missed the like button"
"The 25 people who pressed the dislike button are [insert group of people opposing the video]"
"25 people are Justin Bieber fans"
"The dislike bar is as big as Justin Bieber's penis"
"The best bit of the video was from 00:00 - end"
"009 Sound System ****ing sucks"

Etc.

Yes! This is true. It was mildly amusing the first time I saw one of these comments, not funny the 703rd time. :banana2:
Original post by dnumberwang
It goes back a while.

LOL! I wish I hadn't run out of rep because those cartoons are hilarious!
Except the internet isn't serious DERP
Reply 13
I used to think there weren't many stupid people until I started reading youtube comments.

how naive
Reply 14
Was just watching this yesterday; the comments about Fricke :rofl2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHZwq3de7fg
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Every youtube comments section ends up as an argument over Justin Beiber. Its hilarious
I didn't think normal people commented on Youtube videos. My bad.
Original post by Pheylan
how naive

Whose the girl in your sig? She's gorgeous
Reply 18

Not as bad as:

Hi, I am Teddy. Once you read this you cannot get out. Finish reading this
until it is done! As I said, I am Teddy. I am 7 years old. I have no eyes
and blood all over my face. I am dead. If you don't send this to at least 12... See More
peopl...See more See more See more See more
Reply 19
This was by far the best - two people arguing and the inability to spell 'Bible' was magnificent.

I always thought the 'dislike' button was put there for chavs and chavettes and meant ' dis I like'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending