The Student Room Group

university students

every time i progress in education e.g. do my gcse's, a levels, and now im at uni i think "this time people will be serious about their work" but with alot of people i find its like some kind of pissing contest as to who can do the least amount of work. Im far from a perfect student and my grades range from **** to good but im not proud of it (not that i think these people are necessarily proud) i thought that raising student funds would make these people less likely to study but apparently anyone who earns under 21 grand wont have to pay back much per month? so it really wont prevent this? i guess i should have studied harder and went to a better uni
Reply 1
The only places where people genuinely have a strong desire to work are the top universities (Oxbridge for example). Everywhere else people have a tendency to avoid work, especially in first year where it usually doesn't count towards your degree.
Reply 2
Original post by James4d
The only places where people genuinely have a strong desire to work are the top universities (Oxbridge for example). Everywhere else people have a tendency to avoid work, especially in first year where it usually doesn't count towards your degree.

How do you know this?
Original post by James4d

I'm shocked and disgusted....:ninja:
Reply 4
Original post by James4d

I'd agree with this by and large. People are annoyingly serious about their studies at Cambridge, but from what my friends at other unis have told me the opposite about their uni.

People in the top unis should learn to chill out a bit though, yes it's good to be passionate about your studies but when it doesn't count there's no need to work so hard.
Original post by queenorivers
But then again you're a medical student and they work DAMNED hard even in first year! My flatmates are med students and I hardly see them!

Original post by James4d

I have a strong desire to work, and I'm not at a "top uni".. I dislike the way you catagorise "people" so generally..
Reply 7
Original post by queenorivers
But then again you're a medical student and they work DAMNED hard even in first year! My flatmates are med students and I hardly see them!

They're probably out getting wasted all the time...

OP: It's about striking a balance. Work hard play hard
Reply 8
Original post by Gemma :)!
I have a strong desire to work, and I'm not at a "top uni".. I dislike the way you catagorise "people" so generally..

Ah, I see you're one of those people that get horny over pointing out if a statement is a generalisation.

Yes. it is a generalisation. Because generally this is the case. You have a strong desire to work despite not being at a top uni? Good for you. Most people don't. Hence my comment. What would you say is the answer to OP's question?

Oh that's right, you don't have an answer, you just like to point out (and stupidly criticise) generalisations.
Reply 9
Original post by James4d
Ah, I see you're one of those people that get horny over pointing out if a statement is a generalisation.

Yes. it is a generalisation. Because generally this is the case. You have a strong desire to work despite not being at a top uni? Good for you. Most people don't. Hence my comment. What would you say is the answer to OP's question?

Oh that's right, you don't have an answer, you just like to point out (and stupidly criticise) generalisations.

i have to say this is probably the case. my uni accepts people who got C's and D's. Im only at this uni cause i was a **** A level student and this uni does the only police sciences course in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending