The Student Room Group

How does UBS compare?

How does UBS compare to other banks at the moment? I know a few yrs ago they were in the top 5. What about now? And their potential to get back into the top 5 in the future?

How would you rank? Id say GS,MS,JPM,CS/DB/BNP/Citi/Barcap and would you say UBS comes after all of these? but it is still a "tier 1" bank?

anyone heard ANYTHING from UBS at all?
Reply 1
specify the product/division/team and you might get a more specific answer than the ones likely to come following that rather generic and to be honest pointless question.
Reply 2
Original post by ArtOfWar
How does UBS compare to other banks at the moment? I know a few yrs ago they were in the top 5. What about now? And their potential to get back into the top 5 in the future?

How would you rank? Id say GS,MS,JPM,CS/DB/BNP/Citi/Barcap and would you say UBS comes after all of these? but it is still a "tier 1" bank?

http://markets.ft.com/investmentBanking/tablesAndTrends.asp

Have a look, that is how it ranks compared to other banks in fees and deals worldwide as of the first 3 quarters. Is that what you want to know? Or do you want in the UK, in Europe, in the US, EM?
It has its strengths, but including perception I would probably put it alongside CS, above BNPP, below the others. Just my opinion though.
Reply 3
Original post by ArtOfWar

No longer Tier One IMO. Might come back, but will struggle to compete with Goldman/JP/Barcap/Deutsche/CS in the future.
Reply 4
Original post by JakeF
specify the product/division/team and you might get a more specific answer than the ones likely to come following that rather generic and to be honest pointless question.

Thanks for the above two answers. Im more interested in perceptions. Like university leage tables. ie you might like to think Cambridge and Oxford as GS and JMP. So where do people consider UBS now compared to other banks. ie 5 yrs ago they were def in the top 5 as they were a true trading giant.

Im applying for a quant position so does how the bank rankings affect your compensation. Does anyone know how much a quant gets paid base salary? This is with PhD. My guess is that the base rate for a quant is high but the bonus is less?
Reply 5
Depends completely on division/desk as to the ranking of the banks, however you would be foolish to describe one of the 1st/2nd ranked banks in terms of equity trading and FX trading, along with the largest assets under management in the world as a Tier 2 bank.

In any tier 1 bank you will get significant exposure to serious trades/deals, along with excellent training: UBS has one of the highest ranked graduate training programmes out of all the banks.

Similarly, you will get significant compensation. The exact amount will vary only slightly bank to bank in your first few years. This is the least of your worries. Getting a good team and you being good is what you have to worry about if compensation is your goal. This will ultimately lead to you being desired and being able to shoot up in terms of career and comp. Almost everyone moves bank anyway.

You currently need to ask yourself why you are concerned about the perception of a bunch of kids on TSR. This is completely irrelevant and won't make an iota of different to your career and compensation. The only thing it is good for is swinging your dick to other TSR kids.
Reply 6
I'm actually writing a cover letter for UBS right this very minute, and struggling with the task. It's done nothing but f*ck up for the past 3 years...$50bn is a HELL of a lot of money.
Reply 7
Original post by Zweihander
I'm actually writing a cover letter for UBS right this very minute, and struggling with the task. It's done nothing but f*ck up for the past 3 years...$50bn is a HELL of a lot of money.

Zweihander always makes me chuckle.
Reply 8
Perception-wise:

Hong Kong: UBS is above MS or JPM, up there with Goldman.
London: UBS is alongside CS or Barcap.
New York: UBS is below them all.
Reply 9
Original post by anfitrion
Perception-wise:

Hong Kong: UBS is above MS or JPM, up there with Goldman.
London: UBS is alongside CS or Barcap.
New York: UBS is below them all.

ditto

their U.S. business is really still hurting, but EMEA and Asia are doing fine in general

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending