The Student Room Group

How to stop being arrogant.

Hey tsr,

I know i'll get some very hostile responses to this but meh. Well my problem is that I can come across as overly confident and many people think i'm arrogant. Although I admit that I am quite excessively confident, i just can't stop making comments which i make in humour. I might make a comment about how I am better at someone at a subject etc etc. I know this sounds really arrogant, and trust me I know. Even though my teachers said it to my parents on parents evening, and it is really becoming a problem. How do i become quieter and much more calmed down without making idiotic comments which can be perceived as arrogant. I speak without thinking, and i regret what i say when i say it. :frown:

please help me, and i know there will be the inevitable hate comments, which i dont blame because i know im a dik :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Your a **** with no friends, also your a stupid f***. Tell yourself that everyday, it works trust.
Reply 2
Stop speaking to the plebs OP.
Reply 3
by being more humble
Take a step back and take in what people say. Listen!
Most people like a good boast, you have just got to control yourself and resist the temptation.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hey tsr,

I know i'll get some very hostile responses to this but meh. Well my problem is that I can come across as overly confident and many people think i'm arrogant. Although I admit that I am quite excessively confident, i just can't stop making comments which i make in humour. I might make a comment about how I am better at someone at a subject etc etc. I know this sounds really arrogant, and trust me I know. Even though my teachers said it to my parents on parents evening, and it is really becoming a problem. How do i become quieter and much more calmed down without making idiotic comments which can be perceived as arrogant. I speak without thinking, and i regret what i say when i say it. :frown:

please help me, and i know there will be the inevitable hate comments, which i dont blame because i know im a dik :frown:

So confident that you posted this as 'anonymous'.
Do some volunteering work with disadvantaged folk.
Your problem isn't that you are arrogant. An arrogant person would know what you think, but they wouldn't need to say it.

I think you;'re insecure and need to reaffirm your beliefs by telling lots of people, to make them seem more true to you.
Reply 9
Original post by Sternumator
Most people like a good boast, you have just got to control yourself and resist the temptation.

I think a lot of people who come across as arrogant have an alternate sense of humour most people don't really comprehend(why it manifested idk).
I think that they start off by self-proclaiming that they possess attributes they quite evidently don't, so that it's almost self-depriciative(but not enough to warrant reassurance), and hence is humourous. It's easy laughs so they continue and eventually it gets boring so they either continue and people just find it more irritating than anything, or they start to make claims which are harder to detect the sarcasm in and at times come across as arrogant.
It's all quite anecdotal but this is the impression I've gotten from people I consider arrogant at times, and I know I've been guilty in the past of coming across as arrogant.
I genuinely don't think, for a lot, it's actually about boasting. Esp. when it's supposed to be self-depreciating.
@OP: Don't feel so bad about your self, there's no need to.
EMZ=]
Reply 10
Original post by Emor
I think a lot of people who come across as arrogant have an alternate sense of humour most people don't really comprehend(why it manifested idk).
I think that they start off by self-proclaiming that they possess attributes they quite evidently don't, so that it's almost self-depriciative(but not enough to warrant reassurance), and hence is humourous. It's easy laughs so they continue and eventually it gets boring so they either continue and people just find it more irritating than anything, or they start to make claims which are harder to detect the sarcasm in and at times come across as arrogant. [EMZ]

omg soooo f-cking true
it depends why you are being arrogant.

if you are being arrogant because you think you are amazing and 'up your own arse', then try and find something to give you perspective. find someone who does charity work, or someone you aspire to be. compare them with yourself and that should give a reality check. it might hurt though, if the person you are comparing yourself to is really amazing in your eyes :P

however, if you are arrogant because you need to affirm something to yourself then try setting yourself a challenge. maybe an exercise related challenge, sport related challenge, whatever. really push yourself and then you will get a good grade/trophy/lap time as proof of improvement. then mount the certificate/trophy on a wall, or look at yourself in a mirror if the challenge was weight loss/gym work. YOU will know you have improved and that is more important that others being told it. hopefully this will reduce what people think is arrogance as you are happier with yourself.
Original post by Emor
I think that they start off by self-proclaiming that they possess attributes they quite evidently don't, so that it's almost self-depriciative(but not enough to warrant reassurance), and hence is humourous. It's easy laughs so they continue and eventually it gets boring so they either continue and people just find it more irritating than anything, or they start to make claims which are harder to detect the sarcasm in and at times come across as arrogant.
It's all quite anecdotal but this is the impression I've gotten from people I consider arrogant at times, and I know I've been guilty in the past of coming across as arrogant.
I genuinely don't think, for a lot, it's actually about boasting. Esp. when it's supposed to be self-depreciating.
@OP: Don't feel so bad about your self, there's no need to.
EMZ=]

I know a few people like this but none of them are real arrogant people. Mostly you can just feel the arrogance from the way an arrogant person speaks to people, even when they are not boasting.

OP: there is really no problem at all. The entire problem is working out what makes people think you are arrogant and now you have worked that out just stop acting like it.
Reply 13
Original post by Sternumator
I know a few people like this but none of them are real arrogant people. Mostly you can just feel the arrogance from the way an arrogant person speaks to people, even when they are not boasting.

OP: there is really no problem at all. The entire problem is working out what makes people think you are arrogant and now you have worked that out just stop acting like it.

Indeed, I think we're on the same page really ^^.
I do think arrogant people do exist, though I don't think they're the stereotype of being extroverted, load and stuff.
EMZ=]
Reply 14
Original post by Sean3000
So confident that you posted this as 'anonymous'.

Huh? Why are you egging him/her on?
Nocontrol, is that you?!
Reply 16
Only be arrogant about what you know, let that become a facet of your character. There's no point trying to change yourself.

Just make sure your arrogance/confidence doesn't spill over in to other areas.

BAsically, if you're good at Chemistry, don't be afrai to let people know you're good at Chemistry, but don't then think you're good at English aswell.

And that was a crap analogy, I shall not be arrogant about my analogies :P:
Reply 17
Listen to other people?
Try to understand how things look from their point of view?
Original post by Broderss
by being more humble

Wow

Somewhere in the UK, a house is lying in shards, around the man behind 'Broderss'...
Reply 19
Original post by Barden
Wow

Somewhere in the UK, a house is lying in shards, around the man behind 'Broderss'...

what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending