The Student Room Group

Which Science A-Level is best for me?

I'm in the middle of choosing my A-levels and I have decided on Maths, Economics and History. I'm stuck on the 4th option, but I think I want a science. I want to leave my options open as I still have many ideas what to do (mainly economics/law career) so I want to have a science in case I decide I want a different career (and it's always useful).

So, I am equally good at biology, chemistry and physics and enjoy them all the same. So basically, which one would be best on opening doors for different careers and is best regarded by universities. Thank you :biggrin: (Or an alternative subject which may be good as a 4th option)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chemistry and Physics are probably more highly regarded, I know its cliché, but I'd say just go for the one you enjoy the most, It will really make negligible difference for those two career paths :smile:
Reply 2
It's hard to say which I'd enjoy most, because they are quite different from GCSE.
Physics fits in better with your other subjects and I, personally, would go for it.
Reply 4
chemistry 'cos it be cooooool :biggrin:
Reply 5
Anyone else?
Thanks everyone so far.
Reply 6
I'd say Physics...some of my friends who do both Chemistry and Physics say Chemistry is way harder and time-consuming. Plus, I do Physics and it's pretty fun.
Reply 7
Original post by laurie:)
chemistry 'cos it be cooooool :biggrin:

This. One of the most enjoyed subjects (in my year anyway) and very well respected. :tongue:
Reply 8
Physics :smile: Especially if you take maths with mechanics modules.
Reply 9
Why not Biology, keeps your options open for Medicine, this idea that Physics and Chemistry are more respected sounds a bit crazy I am studying all 3 and I prefer Biology at the moment.
I'd say Physics. If you have a good grasp of numbers (which I assume you do because you want to take maths and economics) then you should be OK with it.
Although I definitely agree that you should do what you enjoy the most, and are most interested in.
Reply 11
Original post by lauryn93
Why not Biology, keeps your options open for Medicine, this idea that Physics and Chemistry are more respected sounds a bit crazy I am studying all 3 and I prefer Biology at the moment.

Chemistry is required as well to A2 (perhaps just AS for 1 or 2) for medicine.

I'd say Physics will be best. But chemistry/biology are just as fine really.
Original post by Ears
I'm in the middle of choosing my A-levels and I have decided on Maths, Economics and History. I'm stuck on the 4th option, but I think I want a science. I want to leave my options open as I still have many ideas what to do (mainly economics/law career) so I want to have a science in case I decide I want a different career (and it's always useful).

So, I am equally good at biology, chemistry and physics and enjoy them all the same. So basically, which one would be best on opening doors for different careers and is best regarded by universities. Thank you :biggrin: (Or an alternative subject which may be good as a 4th option)

I'm doing AS at the moment and my subjects are Maths, Economics, History and Chemistry. Personally, if I could choose my subjects again I would change History either Physics or Biology. This is because by doing only one science (Chemistry), I feel that my uni choices will be limited as many other people chose either (physics and chemistry or biology and chemistry) and also because I don't want to do anything related to History in the future.
Reply 13
Original post by Ears
Anyone else?
Thanks everyone so far.

What ever you do, don't pick Biology.

Go for either Chemistry or Physics.

Personally I would take F.Maths because it is the most interesting and keeps you studying (like a good book keeps you reading). But that is subjective because it depends on YOU. Not to mention F.Maths is probably highly regarded for an economics candidate, so you would stick out because not many people take F.Maths.

Overall nice subject choices and smart of you to be taking a science :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by SeismicImpact
I'm doing AS at the moment and my subjects are Maths, Economics, History and Chemistry. Personally, if I could choose my subjects again I would change History either Physics or Biology. This is because by doing only one science (Chemistry), I feel that my uni choices will be limited as many other people chose either (physics and chemistry or biology and chemistry) and also because I don't want to do anything related to History in the future.

Well I've put Chemistry as the fourth on my application, so my options are the exact same as yours :biggrin: I can't really drop history, in case I decide to enter law, that would probably be helpful.

Do you think it is a good mix then? Are they all interesting, but different from each other so I don't get bored :P
Reply 15
Original post by ilyking
What ever you do, don't pick Biology.

Go for either Chemistry or Physics.

Personally I would take F.Maths because it is the most interesting and keeps you studying (like a good book keeps you reading). But that is subjective because it depends on YOU. Not to mention F.Maths is probably highly regarded for an economics candidate, so you would stick out because not many people take F.Maths.

Overall nice subject choices and smart of you to be taking a science :biggrin:

I thought further maths would be tiresome and just like normal maths really. I dont want to lose interest in maths and I'm not sure if around two lessons of maths everyday would bore me :colondollar:

But thankyou for the advice, and I wont pick biology :smile:
Original post by Ears
I thought further maths would be tiresome and just like normal maths really. I dont want to lose interest in maths and I'm not sure if around two lessons of maths everyday would bore me :colondollar:

But thankyou for the advice, and I wont pick biology :smile:

If 2 lessons of maths a day bores you then you will not enjoy Economics as it involves A LOT of maths at university. Also, if you choose not to take Further Maths, you will severely hamper your chances of getting into the better universities for Economics. If you go for Law, you may want to take a Language somewhere along the line. If not, take Physics. I don't suggest that you take Biology or possibly even Chem because they won't be as relevant as Physics.
hello there,
yeah, like the others before me, id advise u not to pick biology. i do maths, chem, bio, and phys. personally, i prefer chemistry, but it is definetly harder than physics.
i'd say do physics, as it seems to go better with ur subjects, and a lot of physics and maths stuff overlap :smile:
anyway, good luck on ur choices!
Reply 18
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
If 2 lessons of maths a day bores you then you will not enjoy Economics as it involves A LOT of maths at university. Also, if you choose not to take Further Maths, you will severely hamper your chances of getting into the better universities for Economics. If you go for Law, you may want to take a Language somewhere along the line. If not, take Physics. I don't suggest that you take Biology or possibly even Chem because they won't be as relevant as Physics.

Maybe I should think about further maths as an option then.
It's hard to say because it's not very exciting at GCSE and I don't know what it's going to be like. Is further maths much different from normal maths then?
Reply 19
well i think chemistry and physics are regarded better coz they're a bit harder than biology but considering what you're doing, i'd suggest physics but physics is not easy, u gotta do a lot of work for it as well as your other subjects

good options btw

Quick Reply

Latest