The Student Room Group

It's more probable that God is black, so why is he depicted as Caucasian?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
god is an omnipotent dog
it's an anagram so it must be true
Original post by Antstien
You sir are a genius.

I do try... however, I'm not a sir :wink: I'm a girl haha
Original post by Kaykiie
You know, you'd think people wouldn't need to be told that :p:

You'd be surprised! :rolleyes:
Original post by Student#254
Why does God or Jesus have to be Caucasian?

We originated from Africa, so therefore, there's a greater probability that God is black. In fact if there were a God, i'd say 99% he black or of African decent since that's where humans evolved from.

It's down to European superiority and evangelism spreaded through imperialism that we depict God in such an arbitrary and ignorant way.

Though 'God' is just a human concept. The Universe has no place for God as we portray him; though there could be an ethereal force yest undiscovered. A force that bathes in the dark abyss of higher dimensions. The force is all around us. We are that force.

God is a paradox. Mathematics does not support paradoxes. If there were a God, who created him... and so on. Therefore, the chance that there was an original creator decreases. So the universe must have been created through chance events; not a creators vision.

Ok I admit that I have no idea what I'm talking about from about in the third paragraph, but my original point still stands - 'If there were a God, he is likely to be black.'

Actually, he might've been drunk and thought "I know, I'll shove at Atlas up, throw a dart, and wherever the dart lands is where all the little me's will spawn from".

Best thing about that theory is that you can't disprove it :smug:
Reply 104
Original post by MrCharmed
I comepltley agree with you on Jesus. But not at all on god. Your right that its wrong he's always depicted as white, but its not more likley that he'll be black. Because like he's not really human or connected with the phyrical world surley.

we were supposedly created ''in his image''. .
Reply 105
Original post by rajandkwameali
if God is black, then why did he let millions of his own kind get enslaved?

Or to suffer Jim Crow or apartheid? Does a loving God allow his own people to be oppressed? lmao....

Ah so a white God is why the world is as it is?
Don't be silly, God's a racist now?
Reply 106
Regardless of what is more probable, it's still a possibility, there were white poeple 2000 years ago no matter where you lived, and so even though its likely western culture has had a bias, who cares? you cant prove either way around.

and the ops knowlegde of human evolution is terrible. Even in the earliest of groups of homo sapiens in africa white skin would have emerged.
Reply 107
Original post by DanYom

If one more person says or implies that 'in his image' means we look like God, I might scream. Seriously, it's just getting stupid now.
Reply 108
Original post by d123
If one more person says or implies that 'in his image' means we look like God, I might scream. Seriously, it's just getting stupid now.

my apologies i didnt read the other posts lmao
Original post by lightburns
Ew liquorice. But equally, the devil might be made of chicken.

At that time, weren't the Jews looking like all the other Arabs - darker Arabic skin tone?

God is white, proved by Adam being white, which is proved by God being white. Hmm.
You have no reason to believe that either is white.

Composite = light skin tone? Wouldn't it be a medium (Arabic or Asian kind of colour) skin tone?

maybe but i mean arabs look really light skinned to me just look at the saudi arabian king

north african algerian arabs tend to be a little more tanned like italians, but i would think that back then they would be light tanned.

if adam was an arab and follows the rule that arabs are light then that would mean god was the same tone...

but if god made him composite then that says nothing about gods skin tone.

the composite idea would make more sense from a religious perspective
Reply 110
Has anyone pointed out yet that 2000 years is no where near the age of the human race? therefore there were probably more white europeans than black europeans in europe 2000 years ago.... white people havent developed in the last 2000 years.... :rolleyes:
Reply 111
Original post by robin22391
maybe but i mean arabs look really light skinned to me just look at the saudi arabian king

north african algerian arabs tend to be a little more tanned like italians, but i would think that back then they would be light tanned.

if adam was an arab and follows the rule that arabs are light then that would mean god was the same tone...

No it wouldn't!

Seriously, does no one on TSR understand what 'in his image' means? I despair, I really do.
Reply 112
Original post by Student#254
Why does God or Jesus have to be Caucasian?

We originated from Africa, so therefore, there's a greater probability that God is black. In fact if there were a God, i'd say 99% he black or of African decent since that's where humans evolved from.

It's down to European superiority and evangelism spreaded through imperialism that we depict God in such an arbitrary and ignorant way.

Though 'God' is just a human concept. The Universe has no place for God as we portray him; though there could be an ethereal force yest undiscovered. A force that bathes in the dark abyss of higher dimensions. The force is all around us. We are that force.

God is a paradox. Mathematics does not support paradoxes. If there were a God, who created him... and so on. Therefore, the chance that there was an original creator decreases. So the universe must have been created through chance events; not a creators vision.

Ok I admit that I have no idea what I'm talking about from about in the third paragraph, but my original point still stands - 'If there were a God, he is likely to be black.'

You talk about the ignorance of Europeans saying that God is white yet you assume he is black?
Reply 113
Okay, if you accept the evolution ''theory'' (can't believe that people think of it only as a theory, eventhough there is proof) and say we all came from Africa (which is obviously true) then there would be no god at all... which begs the question of the point of this thread.
Reply 114
And also, you can't say ''it's more probable that God is black'', what are you on about... if God was to exist I doubt it would look anything that resembles a human... then again he was supposed to make us into his image...
If you say why is he supposedly white, don't you ask yourself why is god supposedly a HE?

I'm agnostic, I was raised Catholic and at the age of 9 I questioned god. Anyone is, dare i say stupid to be 100% sure about anything to do with god, when there is no proof he exists.
But that's another thread i suppose
God is most likely an Arab since Jesus was his son and Jesus was an Arab as well. If god was black Jesus would've looked mixed race and the bible would have noted it.
Reply 116
Original post by DanYom

That's a good point actually. Can't believe something so obvious slipped my mind:colondollar:
Original post by robin22391

There seems to be a range of skin tones for Arabic people, so yes, the Saudi king is on the lighter end of this.. that is not the average skin tone though, most are a little darker.
"God" isn't even real, so I wouldn't let it bother you too much lol.
Original post by theths
what makes you think god would have made us in his image?

I would assume an interpretation of the verses in Gen 1:26-27

1:26- "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
1:27- "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them"

Remember though that image and likeness do not have been literally being physically similar, it could be talking about having similar personality traits or God's idealisation of the perfect species.

I'm not sure people like to depict exactly what YHWH looks like. However Jesus would be Asian I'd assume, probably on the lighter side of things considering the geographical location of his birth but I'd have thought his hair would be black and have reasonably brown skin.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending