The Student Room Group

£70k starting salary!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
The thing with Oxbridge etc people going into these jobs is that they are target unis, and thus oxbridge etc candidates are more likely to get past initial screening during the recruitment process.

As they say, once you are through the door, it's anyone's game.
Original post by miiiiil
The thing with Oxbridge etc people going into these jobs is that they are target unis, and thus oxbridge etc candidates are more likely to get past initial screening during the recruitment process.

As they say, once you are through the door, it's anyone's game.

Yeah, in the eyes of a lot of human resources people, Oxbridge = Must be potentially excellent at any job. It's wrong a large amount of the time, as many students at other top universities are just as capable, and in some cases more capable.
Original post by Vice Analyst
I still can't get my head around why anyone in the City earning £70k at 22/23 (read long hours and obligatory social life) would have the time or inclination to:

- Be on here to affirm their own self-worth;
- To boast about earnings when we all know how highly paid the industry is;
- And finally argue on internet forums.

Is 10 hours a day really long hours?

Do you think all 10 hours is spent absolutely 'eyeballing the screen'?

Is a statement of fact a boast? Or is that just your eyes and envy?

How are you sure you know the complete set of motives?
Reply 123
My brother made £50k in his first year, and that was 1999...
A few years ago, I think it would ave been entirely possible. Now...it would be very, very difficult. But Im sure it is 'possible'...
Reply 124
Original post by james212
My brother made £50k in his first year, and that was 1999...
A few years ago, I think it would ave been entirely possible. Now...it would be very, very difficult. But Im sure it is 'possible'...

The better question is, 11 years on, how much does your brother make now?
Reply 125
Original post by CokeCoke
The better question is, 11 years on, how much does your brother make now?

I don't know, he doesn't tell me and I don't ask. I know he made £100k in his 2nd year - but things weren't so great from then on. He's made £100k every year since, but then he did work 100 hour weeks for 5 years, was one of the best in the city etc.

After which he worked 80-90hour weeks for a while, before returning to the former now (he's left the UK, as a result of the 50% tax they've moved most of the main employees abroad)...

I don't think he'd do it again. Until the last administration f--ked it all up, there were far easier ways to make good money in the UK.

But if you want to make great money, Im not sure there's much you can do job wise right now, outside of consulting and banking...
I wouldn't tell my brother either if I thought he was going to go post it on an internet forum. Retard.

Anyway, he makes way more than £100k if his progression and hours imply the role I think it would imply.

Though it's far more likely that you're full of **** because the 100 hour a week roles haven't been moved out of London.
Original post by james212
I don't know, he doesn't tell me and I don't ask. I know he made £100k in his 2nd year - but things weren't so great from then on. He's made £100k every year since, but then he did work 100 hour weeks for 5 years, was one of the best in the city etc.

After which he worked 80-90hour weeks for a while, before returning to the former now (he's left the UK, as a result of the 50% tax they've moved most of the main employees abroad)...

I don't think he'd do it again. Until the last administration f--ked it all up, there were far easier ways to make good money in the UK.

But if you want to make great money, Im not sure there's much you can do job wise right now, outside of consulting and banking...

you talk so much ####

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending