The Student Room Group

Would you bring your parents to UCAS visit days..

Poll

Would you bring parents to your UCAS visit day?

Do most people do this? I have one at Leicester this weekend and I'll be making my own way there.... I'm just wondering if other people bring parents 'cause when I went to the open day with one of my friends, we were like the only ones without parents...hoping it won't be the same this time =S

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump..
Reply 2
Yeah i would. i went with mine on the last open day i had and id say if i didn't go with them i would have stuck out like a sore thumb .. its good to have their input even if in the end you don't take it. :smile: hope that helps
Reply 3
ive got one on thursday but my parents cant come :/
Reply 4
my mum came with me to all the ones i went to (3) and I didn't see anyone at any of them without a parent, in fact at least half of people brought both parents with them.
I took my mum with me to my first open day but I have two visit days coming up and I'm going alone. My dad's opinion on universities has nothing to do with prestige or reputation.:tongue: For every university I've applied to he says 'X? Oh that's good/bad because it's close/far away to/from London.' My mum doesn't want to go because 'once you've seen one, you've seen them all' (apparently). My sister's working so I'm on my own. I'd feel bad dragging a family member with me to catch a train at stupid o clock.

I'm the one who's going to be going to the university.
I'm quite shy though so it would have been nice to have moral support but aw well! I just hope I won't be the only one going solo...
(edited 13 years ago)
haha no way in hell man. It's too embarrassing I'm a big boy now and can find my way through the uni. I doubt she actually cared enough to go along anyway.
Reply 7
Ive done them with parents, with friends and with my boyfriend and it doesnt really make a difference to me although its a little stressful with my dad :rolleyes:
Reply 8
I'd be more likely to take my Granny. She gets really excited about uni stuff and since I'm the oldest grandchild, I'm the first to go.
Reply 9
Yeah, I took my mum, brother, sister, brothers wife, mums boyfriend (I'm not joking) to be honest, I like my family - I dont find them embaressing and I genuinely care about their opinion. Sure, I'm the only one going to the Uni but I respect their viewpoint and its good to get other peoples view on things - especially people that know you well. Plus, I want them to know where I am and stuff...my family are important to me and I want them to like the Uni I go to as well :smile:
Reply 10
It depends really. Mines been abit of a mix. Both my parents are graduates (Dad has a PHD and Mum has 2 MSc's) so I took my Mum. She came last year to the one in Plymouth (over 300 miles from home so felt better that she came with me), she also came to UEA, because she attended there herself so wanted to go. Then she came with me to Anglia Ruskin in Chelmsford, as I was born there. So we wanted to visit old friends too.

But my recent one in Gloucestershire she didn't attend because I was staying with a friend anyway in Gloucester. I was the only one without a parent! So it actually seems like most people bring parents along.
Reply 11
I probably couldn't even if I wanted to. They'd be halfway around the world when I apply to university.
Reply 12
No, my parents let me go on my own. I was one of few people there on my own, but don't understand how people who are about to leave home need to hold mummy and daddy's hand when they look at a 'big, scary' uni.
Original post by Livilah
No, my parents let me go on my own. I was one of few people there on my own, but don't understand how people who are about to leave home need to hold mummy and daddy's hand when they look at a 'big, scary' uni.

You shouldn't mock people who go with their parents. My mum cares about my future and therefore the place I will be living for three years. Do yours "let you go on your own" or not care enough to go with you? I've also lived away from home for 2 years sooo...you're wrong.
Reply 14
yes, no, maybe? I dont know, can you repeat the question?
Reply 15
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
You shouldn't mock people who go with their parents. My mum cares about my future and therefore the place I will be living for three years. Do yours "let you go on your own" or not care enough to go with you? I've also lived away from home for 2 years sooo...you're wrong.

My parents care greatly about me and my education, but they trust me to make my own decisions and travel around the country on my own. I've also lived away from home for 4 years which might have something to do with it. Although, my younger brother has been looking this year and he's never lived away and they said they'd go with him if he wanted, but he chose not to. Whilst it's important to parents, it's your future and they should not influence the decision.
Reply 16
Mine would have to drive me there :tongue:, so yes.

But I still value their input. I'm sure there would be things they'd notice that I wouldn't etc. so they can be a valuable tool and car-buddies, if nothing else.
Reply 17
haha no way would i even bother my parents.

My parents wouldnt want to interferr with my choice and they both work and its not worth them travelling half the day to waste time for them listening to chemistry lectures and looking a pointless molecules that they dont understand.

I go by myself to all of mine or i have a friend come with me :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Livilah

Thats extraordinarily patronising. You also seem happy that what appears to be for the first time, your parents had given you some responsibility.

My mother wanted to know where I was likely to end up, out of curiosity as she had never been to a uni before. I applied to universities that my friends hadnt, so I was happy to let her come up as I needed a lift, and I dont spend that much time with her so it was a good oppotunity to catch up. I for one, have travelled abroad without holding "mummy and daddys hand" and I am sure that many of those you scoffed at have also done similar things.
Reply 19
Original post by adam_zed
Thats extraordinarily patronising. You also seem happy that what appears to be for the first time, your parents had given you some responsibility.

My mother wanted to know where I was likely to end up, out of curiosity as she had never been to a uni before. I applied to universities that my friends hadnt, so I was happy to let her come up as I needed a lift, and I dont spend that much time with her so it was a good oppotunity to catch up. I for one, have travelled abroad without holding "mummy and daddys hand" and I am sure that many of those you scoffed at have also done similar things.

I am not being patronising, my parents have given me independence and responsibility from a young age, and I lived away from home most of the three years before uni. My parents came to see the uni once I'd decided and they drove me up here and helped me move in so they could see exactly where I was, but it was not their place to make the decision for me. Pretty much every university is within easy distance of a train station, so I was able to make my own way there and back for open days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending