The Student Room Group

Fear for Pakistan's death row Christian woman

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Aj12
And this is why Pakistan should have its nukes taken from it

I dont think thats a fair point.

America/Britain SHOULD be allowed nukes after nuking japan, invading vietnam invading the middle east for resources?

Yet pakistan shouldn't, because one women is on death row?

Im not saying I believe this women should be on death row or anything....i just thought it being a reason for pakistan not having nukes in compairson to other countries was stupid.
Original post by Elipsis
Indeed Islam is so difficult to understand it split straight after Mohammed's death.

It splintered because of Arab tribalism. You only have to look at a traditional Bedouin name to see how highly they value their clan and heritage. There is no inference in the Qu'ran about leadership except that of meritocracy which, I believe, is the Sunni position. As if most people wouldn't lay claim to a burgeoning empire and riches beyond their dreams. :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by adam_zed
Christianity does not influence our legal system, rather that it is the predominant religion practised.

Doesn't having bishops in the Houses of Parliament count as an influence on our legal system?
Reply 43
Original post by Premachu
I dont think thats a fair point.

America/Britain SHOULD be allowed nukes after nuking japan, invading vietnam invading the middle east for resources? The middle east was not invaded for resources barely any oil contracts have gone to American companies

Yet pakistan shouldn't, because one women is on death row? Its not one women its what she represents and a whole host of other reasons.

Im not saying I believe this women should be on death row or anything....i just thought it being a reason for pakistan not having nukes in compairson to other countries was stupid.

What is happening to the women represents a corrupt unjust regime. My argument was not just based on this women but a whole load of other things that are wrong with Pakistan
Original post by Annoying-Mouse

Original post by Annoying-Mouse
He seems to have gotten about the old testament and how much it's downplayed in modern society.

Yes, also let's not forget before people used to get burned at the stake for translating the bible from Latin to English and the stance on issues such as homosexuality, the role of the OT, women etc. has changed significantly over the past few decades.
Reply 45
Original post by Aj12
What is happening to the women represents a corrupt unjust regime. My argument was not just based on this women but a whole load of other things that are wrong with Pakistan

and theres nothing corrupt going on in America, Britain and North Korea?
*cough* wikileaks*cough*

Oh wait, you dont need wikileaks. You just need to switch on the tv and look at the middle east.
I'm not going to say anything about the posts made previously because, frankly, I don't know enough about it to feel I can comment.
However, I want to straight out that I believe Islam is peaceful. The sentencing of this woman is not enough to judge the whole of Islam on as I know no Muslim that supports the decision in any way. But this is clearly a terrible thing to happen and , although I might be slightly biased in this as I am a committed Christian myself and my knowledge on this is mostly from the charity open doors (whose article on this story is here: http://www.opendoorsuk.org/news/asia_bibi.php ) this is unfortunately going to allow the minority who do allow this to happen to let this happen more often if the UN approves the defamation of religions resolution (again, open doors article here: http://www.opendoorsuk.org/campaign/RTB.php ). I'm not writing this to preach, to say that this sort of thing is widespread or to force anyone to change their views, only to alert people to the fact that this not the only time this has happened.

And in case anyone feels they ought to point out the violence of Christianity and/or Islam to me, I do acknowledge that both in the past and present there has been violence and persecution by both faiths, and Christians were perhaps the worst (Spanish inquisition, burning of heretics, crusades etc). I'm not denying that - humans are involved and we are naturally flawed (in my eyes anyway. People may be good people but I have never heard of anyone who was completely perfect. Feel free to prove me wrong). That doesn't make it right but it does unfortunately make it likely.
Reply 47
Original post by CombineHarvester
Actually if you listen to most Christians in the UK today, they will say exactly this so I'm shocked anyone would say otherwise. It's been used to justify the introduction of women bishops/priests and various other reforms. The justification for it is usually along the lines of "the bible was written thousands of years ago by men and so [insert controversial verse] doesn't apply now" etc.

Actually they introduced female bishops because there was no sound theological reason to stop them becoming bishops, especially once they had been aloud to get their first foot on the ladder. They didn't simply say 'o the bible was written by men, so we'll just disregard a direct teaching.'
Reply 48
Original post by CombineHarvester
Yes, also let's not forget before people used to get burned at the stake for translating the bible from Latin to English and the stance on issues such as homosexuality, the role of the OT, women etc. has changed significantly over the past few decades.

But these had no theological basis. It's not like the New Testament says 'burn people at the stake for translating this work into another language'. And today we say 'o but that was then and this is now.' Your examples are a complete joke.
Reply 49
Original post by Mujeriego
It splintered because of Arab tribalism. You only have to look at a traditional Bedouin name to see how highly they value their clan and heritage. There is no inference in the Qu'ran about leadership except that of meritocracy which, I believe, is the Sunni position. As if most people wouldn't lay claim to a burgeoning empire and riches beyond their dreams. :wink:

Exactly, Islam is about Empire and conquering rather than religion. It is an ideology created with the direct intention of allowing its rulers (i.e. Mohammed) do whatever they please... Whether that's rape slaves, have sex with children, take multiple wives, or behead young boys, it doesn't matter. This is why Islam only spreads by breading and force, rather than true conversions, and the majority of those who truly convert usually do so under duress and leave as soon as possible.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Elipsis

Original post by Elipsis
Actually they introduced female bishops because there was no sound theological reason to stop them becoming bishops, especially once they had been aloud to get their first foot on the ladder. They didn't simply say 'o the bible was written by men, so we'll just disregard a direct teaching.'

Are you sure about that? It's been prohibited by the Catholic church because it goes against the NT:

As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church. (NIV, 1 Corinthians 14:33-35)

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. (NIV, 1 Timothy 2:11-12)

As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church. (NIV, 1 Corinthians 14:33-35)

Unless you don't think this applies anymore?
Reply 51
Original post by Elipsis
Exactly, Islam is about Empire and conquering rather than religion. It is an ideology created with the direct intention of allowing its rulers (i.e. Mohammed) do whatever they please... Whether that's rape slaves, have sex with children, take multiple wives, or behead young boys, it doesn't matter. This is why Islam only spreads by breading and force, rather than true conversions, and the majority of those who truly convert usually do so under duress and leave as soon as possible.

You're so far wrong its unbelievable.... so many baseless assumptions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending