The Student Room Group

GCSE Media or Literature

I'm in year 11. I have done all the coursework for literature, however I have the choice between media and literature. I don't think I want to take english at a level; and media looks easy and fun. But do universities and employers care which of these you take at gcse?
Thanks in advance
I'd take lit.
No a level is fun and easy, don't pick your a levels on what looks easy or you'll fall in the trap of not revising because you think you'll ace it and failing spectacularly.

Depends what job or university course you go for. Obviously many people think media is a wishy washy subject may discriminate against it.
Reply 2
I do both and I personally prefer Lit, but it really depends from person to person...
Reply 3
Original post by Sonny_J_D
I do both and I personally prefer Lit, but it really depends from person to person...

I would but I only have 5 months left, and can only do one. I think I'd opt for media as I'm better at coursework, and 60% of the course is coursework.
Reply 4
If you prefer coursework then media is probably better :smile:
Reply 5
MEDIA is blacklisted by most univesites but English Literature is seen as a top subject, so if you're planning on university then i would not go with media
Reply 6
Original post by bexter:)
MEDIA is blacklisted by most univesites but English Literature is seen as a top subject, so if you're planning on university then i would not go with media

This isn't for a lvel, just as a second gcse in my english lessons.
Reply 7
Definitely Lit :smile: I adore it and the cw is most of the work as it is! The poems are easy and straightfoward to learn and I haven't started on the novel yet but my school offers some really nice books. Lit is also FAR more respected! If you've done all the lit cw why change now?
Do Lit, so much more respected. I did Lit in year 10, now I have to do media in year 11, if you're not interested in working in the media it's insanely boring, and for nothing cause it's not respected at all.

On a side note, my media teacher said "Media A-Level is more relevant than English A-Level and I'd advise you to take Media." and I laughed.
Reply 9
I thought lit was compulsory at GCSE?
Reply 10

Untrue, I took media and was accepted by all the unis I applied to.
Reply 11
Original post by Mm_Minty
I thought lit was compulsory at GCSE?

It varies from school to school
If i was you I would deffo do Lit. I do media as a seperate subject and I have to say that since I have no interest in working in the media it is torture for me. The coursework is also pretty difficult so I don't think you will have time in the 5 months, obv i dont know what its like as part of english but we have to do lots of research and planning before creating your media peice and you have to write lots of evaluations, you have to learn all the media vocab etc. And as people have said lit is a lot more respectable! hope this helps :smile:
Reply 13
Untrue, I took media and was accepted by all the unis I applied to.

i didnt say you wouldnt get accepted, just that they prefer traditional subjects, their opinion, not mine:curious: !!!!!!!!!!
Reply 14
i didnt say you wouldnt get accepted, just that they prefer traditional subjects, their opinion, not mine:curious: !!!!!!!!!!

Blacklisted seems to suggest that they wouldn't accept.... :wink:
Reply 15
Blacklisted seems to suggest that they wouldn't accept.... :wink:

Thats exactly my point, THEY they seem to suggest it:coma:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Thats exactly my point, THEY they seem to suggest it:coma:

Do they?
Most seem fine, I even emailed Durham about my subjects and their main concern was the possibility of me dropping history in favour of a science subject, they didn't have any issues with media :dontknow:

and why is there a jizz face in your post????
Reply 17
fine, everyones entitled to an opinion and i've given mine and you've given yours....and its a bored face btw....im bored now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest