The Student Room Group

Royals?

I've always wondered what brits really thought about the royal family. Do you even like them or care?
I'd be pissed if my tax money became pocket money for someone I didn't vote for.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
I wouldn't say I like them but it's good to know we aren't at the total mercy of the government.
Reply 2
They promote our countries image, which is good I suppose.
I like them.
Reply 4
Original post by MovingOn
I wouldn't say I like them but it's good to know we aren't at the total mercy of the government.

I don't get this. The royals don't have actual powers, only some pretend prerogatives...
Reply 5
They save this country from being a complete and utter laughing stock (Although you might argue otherwise, and quite justifiably)

They characterise what it is to be British, imo.
Reply 6
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
I don't get this. The royals don't have actual powers, only some pretend prerogatives...

Well, she's the head of the Armed Forces, so if someone attacked us but the Govt didn't want to retaliate but Her Majesty did, then she could declare war. If the Govt stopped her from doing so, then they would be discarding laws and bypassing democracy, just like if HM discarded what the Govt said and did her own thing. It works both ways.
Reply 7
I don't like the monarch, bunch of people scrounging off the government is what they are!
Reply 8
Original post by Cura
I don't like the monarch, bunch of people scrounging off the government is what they are!

People will think I'm some die-hard royal the amount I'm posting on this, but that's not really true. I think Buckingham Palace get roughly £60m a year (one for each subject in the land) in fact, I'm not sure it's even that much, and HM has to budget that and it's used for playing host to foreign ambassadors/heads of state and playing the role of Head of State - necessary. They have their own personal wealth that they 'live off'. For instance, lately there was a story about HM earning £30m a year through offshore wind farms.
Reply 9
Original post by rylit91
Well, she's the head of the Armed Forces, so if someone attacked us but the Govt didn't want to retaliate but Her Majesty did, then she could declare war. If the Govt stopped her from doing so, then they would be discarding laws and bypassing democracy, just like if HM discarded what the Govt said and did her own thing. It works both ways.

If the queen went against the Govt they would pass a reform in Parliament. The very presence of a queen makes it undemocratic, not the Govt's refusal to obey the monarch. I can't imagine a ruler noone has voted for send me to die in combat in a democracy.
Reply 10
Original post by rylit91
People will think I'm some die-hard royal the amount I'm posting on this, but that's not really true. I think Buckingham Palace get roughly £60m a year (one for each subject in the land) in fact, I'm not sure it's even that much, and HM has to budget that and it's used for playing host to foreign ambassadors/heads of state and playing the role of Head of State - necessary. They have their own personal wealth that they 'live off'. For instance, lately there was a story about HM earning £30m a year through offshore wind farms.

I heard that prince charles got EU subsidies for his farm. :frown: kinda sad if you ask me
Reply 11
If the queen went against the Govt they would pass a reform in Parliament. The very presence of a queen makes it undemocratic, not the Govt's refusal to obey the monarch. I can't imagine a ruler noone has voted for send me to die in combat in a democracy.

Well, no, you wouldn't be unless you were in the armed forces and then you have agreed to serve Her Majesty and the Crown...
Reply 12
Original post by rylit91

that is what they want you to believe! its not true
Reply 13
I heard that prince charles got EU subsidies for his farm. :frown: kinda sad if you ask me

He probably does. They are entitled to things others are. Technically speaking, they are entitled to NHS treatment. They pay tax, too.
I've always wondered what brits really thought about the royal family. Do you even like them or care?
I'd be pissed if my tax money became pocket money for someone I didn't vote for.

Thoughts?

Tradition. Symbol of the country. Attract tourists from around the world (boosting the tourism industry).
Reply 15
Original post by Summergirl.x
Tradition. Symbol of the country. Attract tourists from around the world (boosting the tourism industry).

The tourism argument is the most compelling I can think of.
Reply 16
Original post by Summergirl.x

Not to mention that they strengthen ties with other countries who have Royals; in particular Saudi Arabia with their absolute monarchy. Boosting trade and strengthening 'bonds'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending