The Student Room Group

C4 Differentiation - 2 questions

Okay, the book says that if y=ax,then dydx=axlnay=a^x, \text{then }\frac{dy}{dx}=a^xlna. Then, in one of the questions I need to differentiate 2x2^{-x}. So I use the general rule above and get dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx}=2^{-x}ln2, however they got dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx}=2^{-x}ln2. Am I missing something here?

Second question:

The book explains how to differentiate the general power function:
Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{array}{lcr}[br]y=a^x\\[br]lny=xlna\\[br]\therefore \frac{1}{y}\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}=lna[br]\end{array}

Ok.. stopping there, surely that's not correct? They differentiated lny, and by using the chain rule got 1ydydx\frac{1}{y}\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}. Then, by definition, shouldn't you get lna+x1adadxlna+x\cdot \frac{1}{a}\cdot \frac{da}{dx} for the RHS? How did they just get lna?
Original post by ViralRiver
Okay, the book says that if y=ax,then dydx=axlnay=a^x, \text{then }\frac{dy}{dx}=a^xlna. Then, in one of the questions I need to differentiate 2x2^{-x}. So I use the general rule above and get dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx}=2^{-x}ln2, however they got dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx}=2^{-x}ln2. Am I missing something here?

The book is wrong and so are you.
Note that 2x=(12)x2^{-x} = (\frac{1}{2})^x. Apply your rule to this and you will get dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx} = -2^{-x}\ln 2.

Second question:

The book explains how to differentiate the general power function:
Unparseable latex formula:

\begin{array}{lcr}[br]y=a^x\\[br]lny=xlna\\[br]\therefore \frac{1}{y}\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}=lna[br]\end{array}

Ok.. stopping there, surely that's not correct? They differentiated lny, and by using the chain rule got 1ydydx\frac{1}{y}\cdot \frac{dy}{dx}. Then, by definition, shouldn't you get lna+x1adadxlna+x\cdot \frac{1}{a}\cdot \frac{da}{dx} for the RHS? How did they just get lna?

That's correct. When you differentiate nxnx w.r.t. x, you get nn. (lna)x(\ln a)x is of this form.
I'm guessing you mean dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx}= -2^{-x} ln 2. Remember to use the chain rule.

As for the second part, a is a constant, so its derivative is 0.
Reply 3
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
The book is wrong and so are you.
Note that 2x=(12)x2^{-x} = (\frac{1}{2})^x. Apply your rule to this and you will get dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx} = -2^{-x}\ln 2.

That's correct. When you differentiate nxnx w.r.t. x, you get nn. (lna)x(\ln a)x is of this form.

SOrry, I meant the book got -2^-xln2, which is what I don't understand. What do you mean by your response to the second question?
Reply 4
similarly, what's ex dx\displaystyle\int ex\ dx ?
Reply 5
Original post by Pheylan
similarly, what's ex dx\displaystyle\int ex\ dx ?

ex22+c\frac{ex^2}{2}+c
SOrry, I meant the book got -2^-xln2, which is what I don't understand.

ddx[2x]\frac{d}{dx}[2^{-x}]
=ddx[(12)x]= \frac{d}{dx}\left[(\frac{1}{2})^x\right]
=(12)xln(12)=(\frac{1}{2})^x \ln (\frac{1}{2})
=2xln(21)=2^{-x}\ln (2^{-1})
=2xln2=-2^{-x}\ln 2

What do you mean by your response to the second question?

a is not a variable, it's a constant. Therefore lna is a constant. When you differentiate nxnx for some constant coefficient, n, you get the derivative to be nn, right? C1 differentiation?
So ddx[xlna]=lna\frac{d}{dx}[x\ln a] = \ln a.
Reply 7
Original post by Pork and Beans
I'm guessing you mean dydx=2xln2\frac{dy}{dx}= -2^{-x} ln 2. Remember to use the chain rule.

As for the second part, a is a constant, so its derivative is 0.

Well, how do we know a is a constant? I'm still unsure of how to get -2 etc for the first part, even with the chain rule >< - this doesn't seem to make any sense.
Reply 8
ddx[2x]\frac{d}{dx}[2^{-x}]
=ddx[(12)x]= \frac{d}{dx}\left[(\frac{1}{2})^x\right]
=(12)xln(12)=(\frac{1}{2})^x \ln (\frac{1}{2})
=2xln(21)=2^{-x}\ln (2^{-1})
=2xln2=-2^{-x}\ln 2

a is not a variable, it's a constant. Therefore lna is a constant. When you differentiate nxnx for some constant coefficient, n, you get the derivative to be nn, right? C1 differentiation?
So ddx[xlna]=lna\frac{d}{dx}[x\ln a] = \ln a.

Okay, I understand it a bit more now, but I still have a few problems. If y=2xy = 2^{-x} then y=12xy = \frac{1}{2^x}, which doesn't make a difference in this question, but why did you raise the entire fraction (1/2) to the power of x?
Okay, I understand it a bit more now, but I still have a few problems. If y=2xy = 2^{-x} then y=12xy = \frac{1}{2^x}, which doesn't make a difference in this question, but why did you raise the entire fraction (1/2) to the power of x?

To apply the rule you stated. You can always do it the long way. To be in the form axa^x, which you want, you need the coefficient of x in the power to be 1. It's still equivalent because 1x=11^x = 1.
Reply 10
To apply the rule you stated. You can always do it the long way. To be in the form axa^x, which you want, you need the coefficient of x in the power to be 1. It's still equivalent because 1x=11^x = 1.

Perfect, thanks :smile: .

Is there a sort of general rule in a similar way to the following:?

d(sinf(x))dx=f(x)cos(f(x))\frac{d(sinf(x))}{dx}=f'(x)cos(f(x))
Perfect, thanks :smile: .

Is there a sort of general rule in a similar way to the following:?

d(sinf(x))dx=f(x)cos(f(x))\frac{d(sinf(x))}{dx}=f'(x)cos(f(x))

Yes, that is true.
Reply 12
Yes, that is true.

Hmm, soryr I should be more clear.

I can use the chain rule to differentiate sin, as follows:

f(x)=h(g(x))f(x)=h(g(x))
f(x)=g(x)h(g(x)f'(x)=g'(x)\cdot h'(g(x)

then, if

f(x)=sin(x2),f(x)=2xcos(x2)f(x) = sin(x^2), f'(x) = 2xcos(x^2)

but.. what if f(x)=axf(x) = a^x, how do you use the chain rule on that?

Quick Reply

Latest