The Student Room Group

Is it fair to pay millions in taxes to the Royal family?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pitch
Dumb ass,you'll still have to pay it back.And there could be even more cuts,so are you against the monarchy only when you'll be without money?

You are such an idiot. Please stop.
Reply 21
Original post by Kiwiguy
is it fair that we are swamped with these threads like once a day? USE THE ****ING SEARCH FUNCTION YOU TWTS!!!!!!

And secondly, yes it is fair. The 57p that each person in this country donates to them is more than returned to the country in tourism, and the head of state works that they do.

Most of the republicians are just jealous tbh.

No they dont. Not them personally anyway. Tourists WOULD STILL COME IF THEY WERE ALL DEAD. Tourists come to see the buildings.
Reply 22
tbh its either that or trust the coalition government to spend it wisely........

after what happened on Thursday, i'm all for keeping the Royal family.
Reply 23
Original post by T.I.
No they dont. Not them personally anyway. Tourists WOULD STILL COME IF THEY WERE ALL DEAD. Tourists come to see the buildings.

No, they come to see the hertiage, and the history.

And what do you propose that we replace them with? Some slimey president like sarkozy? No thanks.
Reply 24
if you say yes you do not know the definition of fair
Reply 25
Original post by Kiwiguy

And what do you propose that we replace them with? Some slimey president like sarkozy? No thanks.

You just agreed with me?

Replace them with know one. We dont need a royal familly or anytihngl ike that. We have a government, thats all we need.

We would be millions better of without a royal familly as the money saved on keeping them spongers would far exceed that of a drop in revenue.
They pay millions more back to us through the same agreement, so I don't see why not.

Particularly when you consider that they provide the sort of diplomatic function you couldn't buy with ten times the amount of money.

And that doesn't even begin to consider the tourist income, historic worth and unpricable value of national heritage they offer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Kiwiguy

Do you agree to pay them the same as Sarkozy?
Reply 28
Original post by Pitch
Dumb ass,you'll still have to pay it back.And there could be even more cuts,so are you against the monarchy only when you'll be without money?

Dumbass, only when you're earning a certain amount... I will be paying it back for a long time, but I will always always have some sort of debt to pay back; this is how life works, get over it and stop being so jealous you dumb tit
Reply 29
Original post by T.I.
You just agreed with me?

Replace them with know one. We dont need a royal familly or anytihngl ike that. We have a government, thats all we need.

We would be millions better of without a royal familly as the money saved on keeping them spongers would far exceed that of a drop in revenue.

No, no i didnt. Re read.

No one? Is that what you are trying to say?

We do need a royal family. It makes up half our political system, with the government making the other half.

Original post by Pitch
Do you agree to pay them the same as Sarkozy?

No. We dont want a republic. If you want one, move to france.
Reply 30
Original post by 4TSR
Dumbass, only when you're earning a certain amount... I will be paying it back for a long time, but I will always always have some sort of debt to pay back; this is how life works, get over it and stop being so jealous you dumb tit

Dumb ass,the question was:is it fair?So you think it isn't fair
Reply 31
Original post by Shortarse1
They attract more than that through tourism. So yes.

This. The Royal family are such a huge attraction and the tourists that use this as the main reason for a visit will spend some money elsewhere just like those who came for another reason will spend some seeing the Royals, taking tours of the palace/crown jewels etc.

'Overseas tourists spent more than £500m visiting attractions associated with the history of the Royal family last year, a report by VisitBritain found.' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10794577

Cant dispute it really IMO
Reply 32
Original post by Kiwiguy
No, no i didnt. Re read.

No one? Is that what you are trying to say?

We do need a royal family. It makes up half our political system, with the government making the other half.

No. We dont want a republic. If you want one, move to france.

So if you don't agree with the Queen,you must leave
Reply 33
Original post by Pitch
Why should we give them millions every year?

Because we get millions in return. The government spends more on paper clips than it does on the royal family
Reply 34
Original post by Pitch
So if you don't agree with the Queen,you must leave

No, just you thanks.

A recent national survey found that over 65% of this country is still pro monarchy.
Reply 35
Original post by EggmanD
This. The Royal family are such a huge attraction and the tourists that use this as the main reason for a visit will spend some money elsewhere just like those who came for another reason will spend some seeing the Royals, taking tours of the palace/crown jewels etc.

'Overseas tourists spent more than £500m visiting attractions associated with the history of the Royal family last year, a report by VisitBritain found.' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10794577

History would still be here,and why can't we pay them less?
Reply 36
Original post by Pitch
Dumb ass,the question was:is it fair?So you think it isn't fair

It is fair, I cannot imagine a britain without a queen/king. It would be so unbritish to get rid of them.
Original post by Pitch
Why should we give them millions every year?

Do you even pay tax?

Research the Crown Estate and maybe then you will be able to provide a factual, cohesive argument.

Oh, and you pay these taxes for expenses that come with the office of the Head of State - which you would continue to pay if we had a President.
Reply 38
Original post by Kiwiguy
No, just you thanks.

A recent national survey found that over 65% of this country is still pro monarchy.

Update it,students don't like Charles now
Reply 39
Original post by EggmanD

That's assuming that tourists come solely to see those attractions, which is just untrue. And that they are only attractions because of the existence of a monarch, which is again untrue.

You cannot place the majority of that £500million on the Queen.

Either way, it's a null argument to debate whether it's fair to pay for the monarchy because their is no way that will change in the near future. And although people seem to have no idea of the true figure to each tax-payer of the Queen, it's certainly a pretty insignificant amount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending