The Student Room Group

Is it fair to pay millions in taxes to the Royal family?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Do you even pay tax?

Research the Crown Estate and maybe then you will be able to provide a factual, cohesive argument.

Oh, and you pay these taxes for expenses that come with the office of the Head of State - which you would continue to pay if we had a President.

No president gets paid all those millions,and he must be elected every 4 years
Reply 41
Original post by Pitch
Update it,students don't like Charles now

Oh, so you are saying that EVERY student doesn't like the Prince of Wales?

Oh dear, you are pathetic.
Reply 42
Original post by 4TSR
It is fair, I cannot imagine a britain without a queen/king. It would be so unbritish to get rid of them.

Why can't we pay them less?
Reply 43
Original post by Kiwiguy
Oh, so you are saying that EVERY student doesn't like the Prince of Wales?

Oh dear, you are pathetic.

You are pathetic if you think the majority of students like him now.We must pay much higher fees,but the government still gives him millions every year?
Reply 44
Yes it is.

Now stfu.
/thread
Reply 45
Original post by pitch
you are pathetic if you think the majority of students like him now.we must pay much higher fees,but the government still gives him millions every year?

the crown paid £183m back to the treasury last year!!!!!!!

learn some facts you stupid ignorant fool.
Reply 46
I don't know the assets and the income they early annually so I'm not going to judge unless facts are shown.
Reply 47
Original post by Pitch
No president gets paid all those millions,and he must be elected every 4 years

Presidents - universally, I expect - get paid a salary. No member of the Royal Family does for their Royal functions. They are expected to do them for free.

The Civil List payments are not made to members of the Royal Family, they are spend by the Royal Household on office costs, providing transport for official functions and so forth.

Original post by Pitch
You are pathetic if you think the majority of students like him now.We must pay much higher fees,but the government still gives him millions every year?

No. Unlike the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles's Household and office costs are not met by the taxpayer. He pays them out of his own earnings. Including having paid millions of pounds of his own money for administering the Prince's Trust, which has helped countless young people in Britain
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Kiwiguy

learn some facts you stupid ignorant fool.

lol so Charles pays us,where do you think he got the money from?From his "work"?
Reply 49
Original post by L i b
Presidents - universally, I expect - get paid a salary. No member of the Royal Family does for their Royal functions. They are expected to do them for free.

The Civil List payments are not made to members of the Royal Family, they are spend by the Royal Household on office costs, providing transport for official functions and so forth.

No. Unlike the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles's Household and office costs are not met by the taxpayer. He pays them out of his own earnings.

How about not paying them millions?So we'll see if they are rich for their own
It's like 62p per tax payer per year, hardly that much and I bet those complaining aren't against the day off work next year for the Royal Wedding. Besides, other than the fact that they promote tourists, they're part of our national identity, quintessentially British =p
Reply 51
Original post by Pitch
lol so Charles pays us,where do you think he got the money from?From his "work"?

Prince Charles has a substantial private income from his enterprises (such as the Duchy Originals range of products, or developing homes at Poundbury), from his investments and indeed from his estates.
Reply 52

Original post by T.I.
You just agreed with me?

Replace them with know one. We dont need a royal familly or anytihngl ike that. We have a government, thats all we need.

We would be millions better of without a royal familly as the money saved on keeping them spongers would far exceed that of a drop in revenue.

Your posts make me cringe.

Why don't you just run off and pretend like you know something elsewhere.
Reply 53
Original post by Pitch
How about not paying them millions?So we'll see if they are rich for their own

Did you read the post you're reply to?

You're not paying the Queen of Duke of Edinburgh anything. They have administrative costs for the Royal Household paid. That is a public authority.

The head of state's office used to be self-funding, before George III instructed that revenue from Crown Estates should be surrendered to Parliament each year in exchange for a guaranteed annual Civil List payment. If we returned to this arrangement, the UK Treasury would lose out by around £200 million each year nowadays.
L i b, the OP isn't worth your monarchy debating prowess - clearly a moron.
Reply 55
Original post by Pitch
It's more than 70 million every year to Charles.Tourists would still come and we could use the money for lower students' fees

I'm not sure this is true. Firstly, £70m isn't going to lower tuition fees by much. Its a very small amount of money in reality.

Secondly, my understanding is that its nothing like £70m. (Indeed, I'm 90% its no where near that).

Thirdly, the money doesn't come from the tax-payer. It comes from the Prince's own property, which is his, not the country's. Mainly from the Dutchy Estates. Indeed, a lot of the money generated by property owned by the Royal Family is paid to the Treasury anyway.

Fourthly, tourism would be a lot less with no Royal Family. I know Americans who come here solely to see the Queen and Buckingham Palace. It is one of the few things we have over France. They usually stay in 5 star London hotels, dine out etc etc, spending about £3-4k or so during a stay - supporting A LOT of British jobs.

Im no expert and I don't really care...but at least if your going to make such strong statements, find out the facts...
Reply 56
Original post by james212
I'm not sure this is true. Firstly, £70m isn't going to lower tuition fees by much. Its a very small amount of money in reality.

Secondly, my understanding is that its nothing like £70m. (Indeed, I'm 90% its no where near that).

Thirdly, the money doesn't come from the tax-payer. It comes from the Prince's own property, which is his, not the country's. Mainly from the Dutchy Estates. Indeed, a lot of the money generated by property owned by the Royal Family is paid to the Treasury anyway.

Fourthly, tourism would be a lot less with no Royal Family. I know Americans who come here solely to see the Queen and Buckingham Palace. It is one of the few things we have over France. They usually stay in 5 star London hotels, dine out etc etc, spending about £3-4k or so during a stay - supporting A LOT of British jobs.

Im no expert and I don't really care...but at least if your going to make such strong statements, find out the facts...

You don't know much if you think it isn't the taxpayers' money.
Reply 57
The Queen wants an extra £4m a year from the taxpayers to fill a looming £40m hole in Royal finances.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jun/29/royal-family-public-finances
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
There was an article in The Times or The Telegraph recently talking about exactly this...and showing how ignorant some people are on the issue...
Original post by toofaforu
because its like 50p per person or something dumb and the queen brings far more in for tourism. is it fair to pay millions in taxes to poor people?

Let's pay taxes for the "Queen" then not for the whole family. Now it's fair.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending