The Student Room Group

US Army heroes? Think again!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aj12
Hate to be the one to defend those men but someone has to. They thought those were weapons which they culd we have been so from that point of view they felt they were defending themselves

As for the jokes and such. Well you trying going to war, everyone has to find a way to get through it or you will go insane.

That's the thing though, they don't have to go to war. I highly respect soldiers who were forced into going into war, they had no choice. But soldiers like these who chose to do it, and then act like that is sick.

Original post by Rooster523
well OP, if you're so unhappy, why not do something about it?

Or are you just going to sit in your little chair and pretend to care about what you just saw?

Okay I'll fly over to the US right now and protest, get arrested and then who knows what :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by pippa90
That's the thing though, they don't have to go to war. I highly respect soldiers who were forced into going into war, they had no choice. But soldiers like these who chose to do it, and then act like that is sick.

Okay I'll fly over to the US right now and protest, get arrested and then who knows what :smile:

Once your signed up you don't have a choice. Many of those men had nothing else they could do bar the army
Reply 22
How can you berate someone for 'not knowing what real combat is like' when I very much doubt *you* have seen combat...

Playing an all night CoD marathon doesn't count
Original post by pippa90
http://www.collateralmurder.com/

I cannot believe I hadn't heard about this before, so thought I would spread the word!

This angered me so much, these ****ing sick ***** better rot in hell. Sorry for swearing but when you watch the video you'll feel exactly the same way! :mad:

Unbelievable and unforgivable!!

Lets be honest, the two guys carrying cameras did look like they had a weapon slung over their shoulder.

I'm not saying that what they did was right, not at all, but surely if you lived in Iraq you would know that the Americans are going to be looking for anybody who even looks like a threat, and you should make an effort not to look in the slightest bit dangerous towards them.

HOWEVER, I do think that given the amount of time they spent observing them and with the cameras they were using they should have been able to identify that they were not carrying weapons and as such shouldn't have opened fire.

If the men were killed by foot soldiers then I personally wouldn't put any blame on the soldiers. I have a friend who is in the Royal Marines and he told me that serving in a warzone really does mess up your judgement, you see things as a threat that aren't in the least bit dangerous. He told me that at least a couple of times his section was a fraction of a second away from opening fire on civilians, and only stopped because one member of the section realised that they were not combatants.
What the hell is wrong with you people? Yes, this is what happens in combat... it hardly makes it ok though, and it certainly doesn't make them heroes. Heroes are the ones who fight for our country and our freedoms. How the they're doing that by blowing up Afghan and Iraqi kids, I don't know.
Original post by Ewan
It's a coping method. It may seem sick to you but killing people is inhuman and different people cope in different ways.

Also perhaps this will help you understand:

A mans wife is killed by someone on the street. The man is so filled with rage because his family has been taken from him that he wants to kill the murderer.

A soldiers family is his companions (other soldiers). The enemy (the iraqi insurgents) are killing his family. He's so filled with rage he kills anyone who he thinks may harm or have harmed his family.

I can kinda see your point of view but with the man's wife he would only kill the murderer. Not everyone that he comes across in case it is the murderer, such as what the soldiers did.
Original post by pippa90

well that's a resounding no then.

You're sickened by soldiers making jokes about death? Well if every single soldier welled up and cried over every single death they witnessed there would be no armies. Humour is the only thing that keeps their minds off what they are actually doing.
Reply 27
Original post by pippa90
Wow, I didn't realise how many inhumane people there are around these days.

Did you not hear them saying things like "Oh come on hurry up, I just want to shoot!" at the guy who was badly injured and "I think I just ran over a dead body", "hahahaha".

It's ****ing sick, and if you agree with or defend this kind of behaviour then you are ****ing sick too.

great story bro.

we all know americans are dumbarse trigger-happy lunatics.. :rolleyes:
Original post by mackemforever
Lets be honest, the two guys carrying cameras did look like they had a weapon slung over their shoulder.

I'm not saying that what they did was right, not at all, but surely if you lived in Iraq you would know that the Americans are going to be looking for anybody who even looks like a threat, and you should make an effort not to look in the slightest bit dangerous towards them.

HOWEVER, I do think that given the amount of time they spent observing them and with the cameras they were using they should have been able to identify that they were not carrying weapons and as such shouldn't have opened fire.

If the men were killed by foot soldiers then I personally wouldn't put any blame on the soldiers. I have a friend who is in the Royal Marines and he told me that serving in a warzone really does mess up your judgement, you see things as a threat that aren't in the least bit dangerous. He told me that at least a couple of times his section was a fraction of a second away from opening fire on civilians, and only stopped because one member of the section realised that they were not combatants.

I actually thought they were cameras but yeah, it's dumb to assume things when lives are involved. Yeah I can see that if you were on foot and thought they had a weapon you would shoot them before they shoot you. However they were apparently about a mile away in the air, absolutely no risk to the soldiers.

Original post by Guitarded
What the hell is wrong with you people? Yes, this is what happens in combat... it hardly makes it ok though, and it certainly doesn't make them heroes. Heroes are the ones who fight for our country and our freedoms. How the they're doing that by blowing up Afghan and Iraqi kids, I don't know.

I know!! I showed a few friends and they were outraged, I post on here and most people think it's acceptable! What is the world coming to? :confused:
Reply 29
Original post by pippa90
I can kinda see your point of view but with the man's wife he would only kill the murderer. Not everyone that he comes across in case it is the murderer, such as what the soldiers did.

Not really, the soldiers are only killing those they believe to be insurgents. They wouldn't knowingly kill civilians (the vast vast vast majority anyway, I'm sure there are some, as there are in all areas of society).
Original post by Rooster523
well that's a resounding no then.

You're sickened by soldiers making jokes about death? Well if every single soldier welled up and cried over every single death they witnessed there would be no armies. Humour is the only thing that keeps their minds off what they are actually doing.

Oh come on what do you expect me to do?? I've tried spreading this around (even though I do realise it is old news, but not everyone has seen it) so if this got even bigger people may protest in extremely large numbers against the war. Who knows if this would work, as it hasn't before but we may as well try.

I've already said that I wouldn't expect them to cry, but if they can't handle that kind of thing without making disgusting jokes about it then maybe they shouldn't be there in the first place - which they shouldn't be anyway!
Reply 31
Original post by Jackthevillain
Doesnt match up to 3000 in 9/11.

Are you naturally stupid of something??? This is not about comparing figures but about the indiscriminate killing done by USA.

Even then 3000 does come close to 100000.
Reply 32
The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them. George Orwell

1. Some people mentioned it is 'combat', 'mistakes happen'.
2. Wikileaks had to mention the 'atrocities'.
Original post by Ewan
Not really, the soldiers are only killing those they believe to be insurgents. They wouldn't knowingly kill civilians (the vast vast vast majority anyway, I'm sure there are some, as there are in all areas of society).

Well they didn't seem very sorry about the children. Some of the soldiers wanted to take them to the police first before the hospital even though they were badly injured.
Again you have part of the population who are deluded into not questioning the war. The reason they give is 'It's a war', 'It's part of the soldier's job' etc etc. If their job is to go around killing innocent civillians, why the hell are they there? To fight some phoney threat? It's provided no benefit to anyone. Heck today we have suicide bombings going all over the place and there were hardly any (if any, which I'm fairly sure was the case) before the US and co decided to invade to free those poor Iraqis, Afghanis, now Yemenis, Pakistanis, god knows who next.

Honestly ask yourself if on your streets there were soldiers who saw someone with a camera and shot them down. You would be livid. Just add some whatever exuses to make the soldiers presence legitimate. Just because the people are foreign and the chances of that happening to us is low doesn't mean it shouldn't be disgusting. War is the biggest delusion of all time.
Original post by pippa90
Oh come on what do you expect me to do?? I've tried spreading this around (even though I do realise it is old news, but not everyone has seen it) so if this got even bigger people may protest in extremely large numbers against the war. Who knows if this would work, as it hasn't before but we may as well try.

I've already said that I wouldn't expect them to cry, but if they can't handle that kind of thing without making disgusting jokes about it then maybe they shouldn't be there in the first place - which they shouldn't be anyway!

What is spreading it around going to do? I don't want you to do anything, I'm just saying if you really were outraged you'd try and do something about it.

Until you have been in a warzone you have no valid opinion on how a soldier should deal with death. Armed Forces humour is notoriously dark for a reason.
Original post by pippa90
Wow, I didn't realise how many inhumane people there are around these days.

Did you not hear them saying things like "Oh come on hurry up, I just want to shoot!" at the guy who was badly injured and "I think I just ran over a dead body", "hahahaha".

It's ****ing sick, and if you agree with or defend this kind of behaviour then you are ****ing sick too.

i wasn't talking about their behaviour, its their job to assess the situation and act upon it. they were trained for the situation.

I think their behaviour was appalling but it kinda suits the americans
Original post by pippa90
I actually thought they were cameras but yeah, it's dumb to assume things when lives are involved. Yeah I can see that if you were on foot and thought they had a weapon you would shoot them before they shoot you. However they were apparently about a mile away in the air, absolutely no risk to the soldiers.

The key word there is apparently.

Nobody knows how far away they were and if a helicopter is within the range of a rifle then it is extremely vulnerable. All it takes is for 1 round to hit the tail rotor, or the engines or near the base of the main rotor, and the helicopter goes down.

So, if they were a long distance away then they were perfectly safe, but if they were within the range of an ak-47 then in their minds, and from what their training will have taught them, then they were in danger.
Original post by Sonny_J_D
How can you berate someone for 'not knowing what real combat is like' when I very much doubt *you* have seen combat...

Playing an all night CoD marathon doesn't count

Thank you :smile:
Reply 39
You're a pilot. Enemy has objects which look like RPG which would kill you. You get the go ahead to kill. You don't sit there going "Hold on, I'm just going to triple-check they have a gun before they shoot me." are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending