The Student Room Group

Is it worth it? Career wise?

I'm really confused about this and I'm hoping someone could shade some light into my current situation.

I'm doing BSc Games Development at a really poor ranked university(programming course). Even though I will finish my degree with a first, i want to move away from the 'gaming' side and seek a career in software engineering/it consultant/project manager. I believe that I have no chance with my current degree (would i be right to assume this?).

Now to 'fix' the fact that my university is pathetic and that my course is worthless, I'm thinking of doing a Masters Degree in Computer Science or System Software Engineering at either imperial or ucl. Would masters overshadow my BSc? Would having a Masters in SE or CS make me a potential candidate for a broader range of jobs?
Congrats on the first! I'm not an expert here but it may be difficult to get onto a masters at imperial/ucl as computer science is highly quantitative. Best to email any unis you are interested in who'll be able to shed light on your situation.
Reply 2
Original post by kbountra
Congrats on the first! I'm not an expert here but it may be difficult to get onto a masters at imperial/ucl as computer science is highly quantitative. Best to email any unis you are interested in who'll be able to shed light on your situation.

Thank you but thats not quite what i've asked, and regarding the courses i've shown them a transcript and they said I would be eligible. Anyone else can advise me if its a smart career move?
Original post by Bountie
Thank you but thats not quite what i've asked, and regarding the courses i've shown them a transcript and they said I would be eligible. Anyone else can advise me if its a smart career move?

Fair enough- if that's what you want to know then yes it is a smart career move. Your undergraduate degree would seem quite 'mickey mouse' to employers so if you can get a masters in a respected subject like computer sci, then that would to an extent override your undergrad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending