The Student Room Group

single people - do you think you will still be single this time next year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Maybe I'm a miserable sod, but in my experience, the cons of a relationship vastly outway the pros. I know for a fact that being distracted and upset due to a relationship gone tits up this year cost me grades in my GCSEs. I'd quite like not to see a repeat of that doing my A-Levels.

In other words, I bloody hope so.
Original post by Hylean
I feel for you. Two years is a long time if you've had zero interest. My mate went four years without any offers either, it used to eat him up inside.

To the OP. I've no idea, but probably. I'm not really looking for various reasons. I wouldn't mind someone, but I'm not overly fussed on finding anyone right now either.

Oh ive had a guy who ive spent since March liking this particular guy from a uni society but he obviously could tell i liked him, can tell i was insecure and took advantage by playing hot and cold. Only talking to me when he sees fit and the rest of the time ignores me, never kept promises and when he said he liked me, thought i was awesome, gorgeous, etc he was just lying so that he could keep me interested just long enough to sleep with me. Obviously its my fault for being naive and insecure and i had that one coming. Still it was not a one off lets sleep together and he does not call back. There has been stuff going on since March, one day he'd be nice and the next he'll be cold.

I really am trying not to care but i wonder how and when i would meet a guy. It will not happen among my friendship group as i have done that before and believe me a breakup is bad enough but when its your first love and you have to no only lose him, but move out of your house as you lived together and lose an entire friendship group, its tough... (and since then nothing good guy related has happened)

How did your friend cope with four years may i ask....?
Hopefully not but really i don't know, I would say im picky but then I have a vast range of guys that I would go for. I would like to be in a relationship but who knows when the guy is going to come around.
Reply 163
Original post by i like tea
*snips*

That guy sounds like a ****. Kick him in the nuts next time you see him.

Well, he would always argue that it was cause of his work that he never met anyone. Which is sort of true. He worked long hours and a lot of shifts, it was always hard to get him to come out with us cause of that. Thing is, he worked in a bar, so that really doesn't stop him from having the chance to meet people and he knew it.

He just sort of carried on. It really got to him, like, and he felt really **** and stuff, but he just carried on doing what he was doing til he met a girl on myspace and they've been together ever since. Think that was around 3 years ago now. They still seem pretty strong.

I don't know how people really manage it when they want someone, cause that's just soul crushing when you want to find someone, but no one is making any signs. I think my mate just grew resigned to it, threw himself into his work to give himself an excuse and stopped hoping, so he stopped "wanting" so much on the surface.
Original post by Hylean
That guy sounds like a ****. Kick him in the nuts next time you see him.

Well, he would always argue that it was cause of his work that he never met anyone. Which is sort of true. He worked long hours and a lot of shifts, it was always hard to get him to come out with us cause of that. Thing is, he worked in a bar, so that really doesn't stop him from having the chance to meet people and he knew it.

He just sort of carried on. It really got to him, like, and he felt really **** and stuff, but he just carried on doing what he was doing til he met a girl on myspace and they've been together ever since. Think that was around 3 years ago now. They still seem pretty strong.

I don't know how people really manage it when they want someone, cause that's just soul crushing when you want to find someone, but no one is making any signs. I think my mate just grew resigned to it, threw himself into his work to give himself an excuse and stopped hoping, so he stopped "wanting" so much on the surface.

I'm just trying to throw myself in other areas of my life like uni and making the most of family and friendships. Tbh if i had a relationship i would probably have to cut back on the sports (as i am either doing uni work or at a society event...i really don't do nights in unless i am working). Plus i have quite a wide circle of friends and i would not want to compromise that if i got into a relationship so if i was to start seeing someone i'd only really want to meet up a few times a week, yet lots of relationships i see at uni people are seeing their partners ALL THE TIME, i.e all day every day pretty much, which seems like madness to me, do these people not have lives without partners or did they give up their lives for their partners?!.

I am sick of the casual sex, casual "seeing each other" culture uni has to offer. I am sick of guys wanting to **** me but not wanting anything more. I have spent too long thinking that all i was worth is a quickie before the obligatory disappearing act. I know they say you should enjoy the single life, but what can you do single that you cant do with a partner apart form sleep with or see other people? Plus unlike a lot of people i do not see a long term relationship as "loosing your freedom" (unless people go overboard and get too serious too quickly and end up spending 24/7 with their partner, which is just unhealthy) but of compromise when needed.

Quite depressing the way you put it, your friend gave up on the surface. Tbh i think both me and your friends problem is self confidence, he worked in a bar, very very social, lots of opportunities. I have a pretty wide social circle thanks to outdoor sports societies and such, so its not like either of us sat at home eating chocolate moaning all day. Either that or i must be ugly with a rubbish personality (which obviously cannot be true as i am awesome....obviously lol :P )

Nice to know it worked out for your friend in the end =) , though tbh i don't really want to do the whole online dating thing, never done it and i do not plan to start now.

I just over think things too much....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 165
Yep... maybe.... who knows :dontknow:

For all I know, my parents may decide to get me married off to some freshie next year :ninja:
Reply 166
you lot worry too much unis all well and good for a degree but half the stress is deciding who your going to pagger next anyway ! gotta love ze freshers
Probably.

This time next year, I'll be coming towards the end of my first semester at college here in the States, so I don't think that will be long enough to have dated around and become serious with someone.

If I do meet someone though, that'll be great.
Original post by failingatm
Oh yeah? What's another word to describe me? :sexface:

Ooh, I'd have to rack my brain to come up with a decent answer for that... and I'm far too knackered to bother doing anything of the sort at this time, so you're going to have to wait :awesome:
Reply 169
I'll be an optimist and say hopefully not.
Reply 170
Original post by Drunk Punx
Ooh, I'd have to rack my brain to come up with a decent answer for that... and I'm far too knackered to bother doing anything of the sort at this time, so you're going to have to wait :awesome:

Well you better not forget, because I certainly won't. :sexface:
Reply 171
Im not single but I think I will be this time next year
Original post by failingatm
Well you better not forget, because I certainly won't. :sexface:

I'm blazing later, so I will almost certainly forget :bong:

Soz lolz.

You'll have to remind me at a later date :h:
Original post by boba
Im not single but I think I will be this time next year

I'm so glad I'm not your partner :h:
No offence or nowt, but seriously... why do you think that?
Either you're anticipating him breaking up with you, or you're going to cut it off with him... :iiam:
Reply 174
I'm blazing later, so I will almost certainly forget :bong:

Soz lolz.

You'll have to remind me at a later date :h:

:colonhash:

Orly? Don't worry, I will be reminding you everytime I come across you on this site. :colondollar:

:colone::colone::colone::colone:
Reply 175
Yes.

For reasons expressed frequently over the course of the previous 179 posts.

Plus I write like this.
Reply 176
I'm so glad I'm not your partner :h:
No offence or nowt, but seriously... why do you think that?
Either you're anticipating him breaking up with you, or you're going to cut it off with him... :iiam:

because he's already at uni and all of the ones I've applied to are a lot further away from him than I am now so we will practically never see each other. I don't have any plan to leave him and it would be nice if it could work but I'm not to hopeful :frown:
Original post by boba
because he's already at uni and all of the ones I've applied to are a lot further away from him than I am now so we will practically never see each other. I don't have any plan to leave him and it would be nice if it could work but I'm not to hopeful :frown:

Bummers. Not to put bad thoughts in your head or anything, but LDR's have never worked out in my experience. Or if they have, it's only been for a short-term relationship due to paranoia (on my behalf :h: ). Trust issues for the win...

Still, there will be plenty of people on here he disagree with LDR's not working out.

A long distance relationship is kinda like a "try before you buy" chocolate... if you don't give it a shot, you may miss out on what could've been really good.
Reply 178
Bummers. Not to put bad thoughts in your head or anything, but LDR's have never worked out in my experience. Or if they have, it's only been for a short-term relationship due to paranoia (on my behalf :h: ). Trust issues for the win...

Still, there will be plenty of people on here he disagree with LDR's not working out.

A long distance relationship is kinda like a "try before you buy" chocolate... if you don't give it a shot, you may miss out on what could've been really good.

we'll see but its already pretty hard with just him at uni, yes there is trust issues .. on his part and its not nice to be on the other side of when you have done nothing wrong
Reply 179
I think i will be single next year,I don't really want to be in a relationship,well a serious one in the next year or even the next few years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending