The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Finding private accommodation in March...

Hi,

I'm pretty likely to apply for the North American Exchange Program for next year I think, but I wouldn't find out if my application was successful until March, and if it wasn't successful then I'd obviously have to find somewhere to live in Aberystwyth for the second year.

So what would my chances be of finding somewhere if I leave it until March? It feels like if I apply to go to the US and fail then I'll be a bit screwed.
Reply 1
Original post by Hmminator
Hi,

I'm pretty likely to apply for the North American Exchange Program for next year I think, but I wouldn't find out if my application was successful until March, and if it wasn't successful then I'd obviously have to find somewhere to live in Aberystwyth for the second year.

So what would my chances be of finding somewhere if I leave it until March? It feels like if I apply to go to the US and fail then I'll be a bit screwed.

A great deal of houses/flats will be taken up in the next month or so, although I have known people to find somewhere later on in the year; it just may be that you'll have to ask around a bit more than usual.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Or apply to the university accommodation.
Reply 3

I wouldnt put too much hope in getting university accommodation for your second year of study. International students and those with a merit/scholarship awards are promised accommodation, but aside from those, very few second years manage to secure university accommodation.
Original post by AberInsider
I wouldnt put too much hope in getting university accommodation for your second year of study. International students and those with a merit/scholarship awards are promised accommodation, but aside from those, very few second years manage to secure university accommodation.

Just curious, are international students fully guaranteed university accomodations for their entire course? if so, thats cool.
Reply 5
The official guarantee is:

Full-time International Students are guaranteed accommodation in Residences throughout the duration of their taught courses provided an application is made at the appropriate time in each year of residence.

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/overseas/
Reply 6
Original post by HayThereMardyBum
Just curious, are international students fully guaranteed university accomodations for their entire course? if so, thats cool.

Yes they are, except those from EU countries which are not considered international students.
Reply 7
The accommodation guarantee also extends to disabled students/those with valid medical conditions and any student who has a bursary that includes guaranteed accommodation for the duration of their course (e.g. the sports bursary)

Be aware though, RHS (Residential & Hostility Services) are crap. Get anything they promise you in writing in case they chose to "forget" later on down the track that they said it to you. They're good at that.
Reply 8
Original post by Hmminator
Hi,

Currently doing this exchange program, it's amazing. Don't sacrifice it just because you don't think you'll be able to get a house.....students drop out etc etc - you won't be left homeless.

I'm not returning to Aberystwyth until EARLIEST of June this year to get accommodation for next year, and I'd not change a thing of it.

Just out of interest, what's your course & which university in the US you looking at?
Reply 9
I'm studying AI & Robotics at the moment, although I'm strongly considering switching to BEng Software Engineering.

Thanks for the advice about housing. I'm trying to figure out how the modules and everything work out in the USA at the moment. I mean, they have module codes like 121 and 317, and I'm assuming that the first digit would be the year of study in which that module should be taken but if that's the case then I'd have to be taking year four and five modules to have it match the second year of my degree scheme.

EDIT: I'm looking to go to Washington State by the way.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest