The Student Room Group

My "new" £400 phone, is not so new- help?

Okay, so as part of my Birthday gifts, my Dad brought me a HTC Mozart, on Windows Phone 7, from Phones 4 you.

So I get it today, use it, charge it, sync my contacts and what not and then BAM.

THERE ARE VIDEOS AND PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE, IN THE STORE, PLAYING WITH THE PHONE :angry:.
There's also scratches and marks on the back of the phone too.

It was frigging £400, sold "new".

What can I do?
Like, where do I stand on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You are within every right to go to the shop and demand a new one or a refund. Of course, if it turns out your dad bought it knowing that it was a display model or whatever you haven't really got a leg to stand on.
Reply 2
Just phone them up, i'm sure they'll be happy to replace it. Probably just a mistake.
Reply 3
Phones 4 u do this a lot. It was a demonstrater phone. I think you could probably take it back a ask for a fresh phone that hasn't been opened. And i'm sure they'd be happy to change it.
Original post by Wookie42
You are within every right to go to the shop and demand a new one or a refund. Of course, if it turns out your dad bought it knowing that it was a display model or whatever you haven't really got a leg to stand on.

We have the receipt, he paid full price for it. He brought it two weeks ago,- which means he both remembers buying it and also would have had time to have one ordered in if there were none in stock.
He'd wouldn't have either paid full price for it or accepted a used one :'/
Original post by Law123mus
Phones 4 u do this a lot. It was a demonstrater phone. I think you could probably take it back a ask for a fresh phone that hasn't been opened. And i'm sure they'd be happy to change it.

That's really wrong, it's also really annoying.
It's my birthday tomorrow and i'm going to have to piss around with this. LMAO, bloody ****ers!
Original post by super.teve
We have the receipt, he paid full price for it. He brought it two weeks ago,- which means he both remembers buying it and also would have had time to have one ordered in if there were none in stock.
He'd wouldn't have either paid full price for it or accepted a used one :'/

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/know-your-rights/mobiles/

Know your rights as a consumer!:smile:
phones 4 u is rubbish really, the customer service is really quite shocking, i go in there to complain the phone i bought 3 weeks ago has crashed and gone wrong through no fault of my own and they try to get me to take out a contract with them?? (paid nearly £400 for an n97 mini sim free since i am on a contract already)
ii hate them with a passion and advise no one to go there, never had problems with carphone warhouse, mobiles.co.uk or o2 directly.
Sue them under The Sale of Goods Act 1979
Original post by super.teve
Okay, so as part of my Birthday gifts, my Dad brought me a HTC Mozart, on Windows Phone 7, from Phones 4 you.

So I get it today, use it, charge it, sync my contacts and what not and then BAM.

THERE ARE VIDEOS AND PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE, IN THE STORE, PLAYING WITH THE PHONE :angry:.
There's also scratches and marks on the back of the phone too.

It was frigging £400, sold "new".

What can I do?
Like, where do I stand on this?

Just return it? That's what receipts are for - you could return it even if there was nothing wrong with it at all, and in this case you certainly could.
Original post by Leighthesim
phones 4 u is rubbish really, the customer service is really quite shocking, i go in there to complain the phone i bought 3 weeks ago has crashed and gone wrong through no fault of my own and they try to get me to take out a contract with them?? (paid nearly £400 for an n97 mini sim free since i am on a contract already)
ii hate them with a passion and advise no one to go there, never had problems with carphone warhouse, mobiles.co.uk or o2 directly.

a couple of years ago i went to a phones 4 u and the guy tried to make me sign a contract. That was his only goal. I just asked him nicely about the various plans and suitable phones and he just started at me. He was like "what do you want, huh, ok i'll make it £25 a month and all 1000 minutes", and now take it. He was highly intimidating but I kept my cool and said thank you for your time and left calmly. I don't let ANYONE walk over me.

boycott phones4u
Reply 11
Phones4U's customer services are silly. Although, most of their policy is quite cool. I mean, My B;ackBerry trackpad broke so I took it back and got a brand new one (but that took like three weeks).

I'd suggest you take it back, go to the counter and talk. Don't let them start with a sentence saying 'sorry. but...' because that usually means 'no we can't be asked'.

TSR IS ON YOUR SIDE!
Anyone who wastes £400 on a phone deserves all they get :smile:
Reply 13
£400 for a phone?!! Back in the days, my first phone cost me £10.49 and it lasted me 3 years, a solid phone that would get the job done. Now you guys pay 40 times a value of a phone and complain about it!

I mean that £400 display prototype you have in your hand must be as good as a second hand HTC Mozart on ebay and they usually go for £250 or thereabouts. What a saving your dad could have made... Oh well.
£400 for a WINDOWS phone??

Take the piece of crap back, spend another hundred and get an iPhone 4.

There someone had to tell you that.
Original post by aleathiel
£400 for a WINDOWS phone??

Take the piece of crap back, spend another hundred and get an iPhone 4.

There someone had to tell you that.

Window Phone 7 is far more responsive than IOS and the music software is far better :fyi:

@OP you bought it NEW and they sold it to you NEW, it hasn't been sold to anyone else.
Reply 16
Take it back. It's not really a question is it, it's been used so go get a replacement.
I have had the same from phones4u too
Reply 17
Bang them up, roll in with the mandem.
Reply 18
Why would you spend £400 on a phone? I'm probably going to sound like a Luddite, but all a phone needs to be able to do is text and call people. Facebook access is an added bonus but hardly necessary.

But yeah, in terms of actual advice, go into the store and try and get an exchange.
hahaha, please say there were some rude pics on there.

Quick Reply