The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

University of Derby Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
TBH not really afaik - it's quite a substantial distance between the sites. Buxton's got got's own set of halls of residence etc.
One of the guys on my course moved up to derby with his girlfriend in september then started on our course in Buxton in January, he commutes every day but he had to catch a bus at 7AM.

I'm not really in a typical situation myself as I'm a mature student with my own flat - I chose Derby cos I was interested in doing a course that was being run at Buxton which is quite near to where I already lived. I could ramble on about problems specific to Buxton, commuting or being a mature student but it wouldn't be relevant to what you'll find. The course I'm on is mostly mature students too so generally what I hear from them is the same sort of mature student - commute to college experience as I'm having.

It'll be different for you in Derby and staying in halls.

I have been to uni before and dropped out - I'd say Derby's good in that there's a lot of help with your study skills - research and academic writing. The lecturers recognise you around campus and call you by name (may just be a Buxton thing cos we're only small), you can get them to read your unfinished manuscript *once* before you hand it in and get some feedback (I assume this is a uni wide policy and not just buxton) - it's worth getting something down a few weeks before hand in and doing this as it'll get you higher marks and your improve your academic writing most people still seem to prefer having a traditional last minute panic though.

You can also get feedback off the tutor after your finished assignment has been marked which is again worth doing.

The assignment feedback policy is different and better than the other place I went and really helpful.

There's constant grumbling about the amount of tuition we're getting for our money - 9hrs timetabled 'facetime' per week for me - but that's not a problem that's specific to Derby, you'll see people all over TSR saying the same things about other places too.

Our opportunities are things like wild camping in Snowdonia last may - had frost all over my tent when I got up in the morning. There's a ski trip coming up (not bothered tbh), some winter outdoor survival in Scotland and some trekking in the Atlas mountains of Morocco.
The camping was £5 and I think the Morocco is about £400 (incl donkey to carry your gear)
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Original post by AutumnRoseee
For me it took them exactly 6 days, they were actually really quick!
They gave me an offer before many unis sent me mails saying they'd recieved my application and were reviewing it :smile: x

Ah okay great, that's awesome. Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 62
How lenient are they?
Original post by Joinedup
TBH not really afaik - it's quite a substantial distance between the sites. Buxton's got got's own set of halls of residence etc.
One of the guys on my course moved up to derby with his girlfriend in september then started on our course in Buxton in January, he commutes every day but he had to catch a bus at 7AM.

I'm not really in a typical situation myself as I'm a mature student with my own flat - I chose Derby cos I was interested in doing a course that was being run at Buxton which is quite near to where I already lived. I could ramble on about problems specific to Buxton, commuting or being a mature student but it wouldn't be relevant to what you'll find. The course I'm on is mostly mature students too so generally what I hear from them is the same sort of mature student - commute to college experience as I'm having.

It'll be different for you in Derby and staying in halls.

I have been to uni before and dropped out - I'd say Derby's good in that there's a lot of help with your study skills - research and academic writing. The lecturers recognise you around campus and call you by name (may just be a Buxton thing cos we're only small), you can get them to read your unfinished manuscript *once* before you hand it in and get some feedback (I assume this is a uni wide policy and not just buxton) - it's worth getting something down a few weeks before hand in and doing this as it'll get you higher marks and your improve your academic writing most people still seem to prefer having a traditional last minute panic though.

You can also get feedback off the tutor after your finished assignment has been marked which is again worth doing.

The assignment feedback policy is different and better than the other place I went and really helpful.

There's constant grumbling about the amount of tuition we're getting for our money - 9hrs timetabled 'facetime' per week for me - but that's not a problem that's specific to Derby, you'll see people all over TSR saying the same things about other places too.

Our opportunities are things like wild camping in Snowdonia last may - had frost all over my tent when I got up in the morning. There's a ski trip coming up (not bothered tbh), some winter outdoor survival in Scotland and some trekking in the Atlas mountains of Morocco.
The camping was £5 and I think the Morocco is about £400 (incl donkey to carry your gear)

Thanks for the information I found it really helpful! :smile: x
Reply 64
Unconditional offer for Sound Light and live event Technology :smile: It's my top choice I recon so i guess I'll be seeing you all in September :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by mrcog
Unconditional offer for Sound Light and live event Technology :smile: It's my top choice I recon so i guess I'll be seeing you all in September :biggrin:

Congrats - hope you enjoy the course.
got my offer the day after i sent my application :eek: was very happy with that :biggrin: was wondering if anyone had any pics of the accommodation and just general ones of the campus, i was going to go on the open day but it was er the day after my 18th :colondollar:
thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by reynoldssye
got my offer the day after i sent my application :eek: was very happy with that :biggrin: was wondering if anyone had any pics of the accommodation and just general ones of the campus, i was going to go on the open day but it was er the day after my 18th :colondollar:

There's another open day coming up on Feb 5th if that's any use...

Failing that there's a video tour of the accom on the website http://www.derby.ac.uk/video/halls-of-residence

for some reason the broadband isn't wireless (least at the buxton site) so you need get a wire - probably from a pound shop or something.
Reply 68
Original post by reynoldssye

Wow that's so quick! When was this, before or after christmas?
Interview on the 16th of Feb for Diagnostic Radiography. :smile:
UCAS updated for me on Christmas Eve :smile:
Reply 70
I still havent heard anything from derby,although ive had conditional offers from my other four choices.My predicted grades are a bit higher than the entry requirements,but I like it there I think it seems like a nice uni and if I dont meet my predicted grades in my january exams I would quite like to put it as my inssurance choice.
edit-I have an offer now yay
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kizzz!
Wow that's so quick! When was this, before or after christmas?

it was before sent it off on the 2nd of november and when i checked my email the next morning there it was! stopped me panicking about getting no offers anyway :biggrin: what are you looking to study?
There's another open day coming up on Feb 5th if that's any use...

Failing that there's a video tour of the accom on the website http://www.derby.ac.uk/video/halls-of-residence

for some reason the broadband isn't wireless (least at the buxton site) so you need get a wire - probably from a pound shop or something.

thanks a lot :biggrin: definitely going to go this time if i can drag someone along, getting people to get up to catch a train at 7 in the morning on a saturday is harder than i thought :s-smilie:
Hi all! I've all but firmed Derby for Psych :biggrin:

As a mature student I was just wondering if there were any major issues with things like commuting/parking on campus and whether anyone could give me a rough idea of what to expect from 1st year timetable (contact hours)? I'm hoping to move to Mickleover in May/June, which I didn't think would be too far distance-wise, but an insight into typical traffic (A38 mostly!) would be great so I can plan whether I can drop kiddies off at school and make it for a 9am lecture or whether I need to consider a breakfast club for them? Do I need to buy/apply for a parking permit or is it just the pay and display?

Thanks in advance :redface:
Reply 74
Informally the lecturers are understanding about parents getting in late or getting off early if you explain the situation to them beforehand.

parking at KR - I think you can get a pass if you're dropping kids off on your way in http://www.derby.ac.uk/travelandtransport/derby/car-parking/application-forms but I'd just give the liason office a ring (I'm not at KR so I don't really know)
It's going to be difficult to predict what you'll be doing travel wise till the timetable is produced - which doesn't happen till October

My timetabled contact hours fwiw averaged 10/week ; 8 one semester and 12 the other (with practicals) different course, so may not have any relevance for you.
The liason office might be able to get you some answers.

See also this page...
http://www.derby.ac.uk/student-wellbeing/prospective-students/students-with-caring-responsibilities/child-care

good luck.
Informally the lecturers are understanding about parents getting in late or getting off early if you explain the situation to them beforehand.

parking at KR - I think you can get a pass if you're dropping kids off on your way in http://www.derby.ac.uk/travelandtransport/derby/car-parking/application-forms but I'd just give the liason office a ring (I'm not at KR so I don't really know)
It's going to be difficult to predict what you'll be doing travel wise till the timetable is produced - which doesn't happen till October

My timetabled contact hours fwiw averaged 10/week ; 8 one semester and 12 the other (with practicals) different course, so may not have any relevance for you.
The liason office might be able to get you some answers.

See also this page...
http://www.derby.ac.uk/student-wellbeing/prospective-students/students-with-caring-responsibilities/child-care

good luck.

Thank you for all of this :biggrin: That's fab! :yep:
Reply 76
Original post by CharlieT247
Thank you for all of this :biggrin: That's fab! :yep:

You're welcome - hope it works out for you.

do give the liaison office a ring before you start.
Derby :heart: it's mature students and they'll help you with a lot of your non academic problems - ferinstance they talked me through the student finance form in about 5 minutes.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've applied to study countryside management at the buxton campus. Still not heard back but hopeful and going to the openday in feb. Just wondering if anyone knew what buxton is like and how is it for mature students? Also what is the accomodation like, I have kids and am used to a more mature social life. Looking forward to exploring the climbing opertunities.

Previously studied with the o.u and worked in conservation and events for a few years. Hoping this will help me get a place.
Education Studies unconditional offer :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by CharlieT247
Hi all! I've all but firmed Derby for Psych :biggrin:

As a mature student I was just wondering if there were any major issues with things like commuting/parking on campus and whether anyone could give me a rough idea of what to expect from 1st year timetable (contact hours)? I'm hoping to move to Mickleover in May/June, which I didn't think would be too far distance-wise, but an insight into typical traffic (A38 mostly!) would be great so I can plan whether I can drop kiddies off at school and make it for a 9am lecture or whether I need to consider a breakfast club for them? Do I need to buy/apply for a parking permit or is it just the pay and display?

Thanks in advance :redface:

Hi! :smile:
Mickleover's not bad at all distance wise, but I'd really try to avoid the A38 at all costs when it's even remotely near rush hour or busy times, it really is horrendous :frown: I've been waiting for 40 minutes without moving before at 8:45!!!!! Made me very late :frown: so I'd definitely try to avoid it, it's really not good at all! Worse traffic on there than on the M1 at the same time, from personal experience anyway!

1st year I have 12 contact hours a week, times can be from 9am to 9pm, what course you are doing also determines which buildings you'll be at. You can't park at Markeaton Street or Britannia Mill, but if you buy a permit for Kedleston Road you can always get the free shuttle bus to the other sites, but bear in mind it only comes once every 20 minutes.
hope this helps :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest