The Student Room Group

Cinema Snacks expensive

how many of you go to the pictures and instead of buying snacks and drinks there you bring your own, maybe hidden in a handbag?

this is because of the prices they are asking. an example is a box of popcorn is £4.80say. where-as in home+bargain you can get twice as much popcorn for 80p. a drink for 30p. sweets for £2.00

Any ideas welcome.:cool:

Scroll to see replies

Screw the snacks, adult tickets are almost £10, WTF. The cinema in general has become ridiculously expensive.
I'm more terrified of the fat content in the popcorn than the price, but it's the cinema experience, I guess!
I don't do that, I just put up with the extortionate prices unfortunately.

Especially cineworld's pick 'n' mix :mad: biggest rip off on the planet, they weigh the sweets and charge you as if it's a bag of gold :dry:
I don't even go to the cinema anymore, but when i did it was always a quick stop in the nearest supermarket before to stock up.

although i did buy ice blasts at the cinema.
Reply 5
I completely agree, whenever I go to the cinema with my mates we always pop to poundland or tesco metro for snacks as the prices in the cinema are just extortionate!
Who ever said about the cost of tickets - get orange wednesdays 2 for 1 and split the cost with a friend or treat somebody.
Reply 6
i bring my own. its expensive enough to go to the cinema without buying sweets as well. i occasionally get a drink from there if i havent had chance to get one beforehand but usually i just bring my own.
Reply 7
why do you need to eat while watching a film? pop into subway first if you're hungry
Reply 8
They are only that high due to food and drink sales being the largest contributor to cinema profits.

This thread has been done before.
I bring a drink in my bag (£2ish for a 500ml bottle of Coke **** off!?) but I do have to buy pic'n'mix when I'm there! Sometimes I just bring in some chocolate or fruit I've bought... I feel weird being in the cinema and not eating anything. I have a Cineworld card so at least the ticket is 'free' for me when I go. I've been busy with uni so far but I used to just go see everything!
Reply 10
I use to work in a cinema and you don't get what you pay for. I think it's extortionate! So over priced! You could bring in whatever you'd liked into the screens at my old one as long as it wasn't fast food like KFC or Burger King because of the smell. Not sure what the policy is for others (or if my old one has changed for that matter) but that's how it worked at mine.

I never buy anything when I go to the cinema. The tickets alone cost an arm and a leg!
Original post by Wildebeest
I'm more terrified of the fat content in the popcorn than the price, but it's the cinema experience, I guess!

Oh dear.

Assume your one of the people who doesnt eat certain foods as they give you cancer too.
And did you know that grass is green and ice is cold?
Also, gravity exists!
Reply 13
Original post by Bektas
Screw the snacks, adult tickets are almost £10, WTF. The cinema in general has become ridiculously expensive.

It's expensive in London. Back at home it's still quite cheap for me though (in Hull).
Reply 14
Sadly, people are willing to pay. It is a rip off, something like £2.70 for a hotdog in one cinema at home.
Reply 15
Me and my friend usually buy a tub of Ben and Jerrys immediately before we go into the cinema. (Hopefully it will be on offer somewhere!)
By the time we are sat down in the cinema it's softened nicely :smile: and we have a tradition of taking Cadbury's Caramel Nibbles. YUM.
I've never been to a cinema that doesn't allow food in - the one I work at only has a no hot food policy because of the smell. Alcohol is also obviously not allowed in unless you buy it from us, but that's because of the glass bottles.

Food is the big profit maker for cinema chains - almost all the money from ticket sales goes to film companies for the first couple of weeks.
They are a rip off, for sure. I never tend to buy snacks at the cinema though - I get a drink or something beforehand and take it in inside my bag.

I am heading to the university cinema tonight. Not quite as comfortable and it takes a month or so for the films to be shown, but at £2 a ticket, you can't complain. Plus, they don't sell snacks etc so there is no problem with bringing your own. The only rule is no hot food or alcohol. :smile:
Reply 18
I always do that, and you can normally find good offers on cinema tickets such as Orange Wednesdays and Tesco clubcard vouchers so it's mainly the food price that annoys me..
I work in a cinema and believe me it kills me when I have to ask people for the money for the snacks which they have brought. Ive complained like my colleagues about the prices but the bosses wont listen, I mean I work there but I wont buy any of the stuff and we dont get discount on the food just hot drinks which are 50p. So much for a cheap night out! Long gone are those days especially if you are taking out a family or something!

Quick Reply

Latest