The Student Room Group

Why was I given such a high offer?

I had an interview for Arabic (which is a very uncompetitive department) at Manchester and it went so so well. I really clicked with the professor and he said that he would recommend an offer of BBC to admissions, which is their lowest offer. I was so pleased by this, however- he did ensure that I knew that this was a merely a recommendation to the admissions team and it could vary when I offically got my offer through on UCAS (he gave me a place on the spot).

Anyway- it came through this morning and they want ABB! Which makes it along the same lines as one of my top choices. So gutted as I really wanted Manchester as insurance :frown: does anyone have any ideas to why admissions would offer me the highest they could have demanded from me? My grades and predictions were good, I was complimented on my personal statement and my interview went so well.

Also clueless for what I'm going to do next as I don't think I will have a very good insurance that I wouldn't mind going to if everything goes tits up in August.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are the typical requirements for the course? If they're ABB then that's fair enough.

Its more likely though that they're giving you a higher offer to try and prevent you from putting them as your insurance choice - Bangor did this for Psychology this year I think (read it somewhere on here). Sucks though, leaves a lot of people with no fall back option :/
Well if the interview went as well as you say it did then they should be quite lenient with you if you miss your grades.

I had an interview at Manchester too and we were told that the interview wasn't to see who gets the offer but how much they want us and should something go wrong and we miss out on the grades the interview would determine whether they'd still take us.
Reply 3
Maybe someone accidentally hit A on the keyboard instead of C.
Reply 4
Original post by Wookie42
What are the typical requirements for the course? If they're ABB then that's fair enough.

Its more likely though that they're giving you a higher offer to try and prevent you from putting them as your insurance choice - Bangor did this for Psychology this year I think (read it somewhere on here). Sucks though, leaves a lot of people with no fall back option :/

The entry requirements are AAB-BBC, so it's a huge range of offers.

Aaaah, they would actually do that so I couldn't insure them?! Meanies! I think they're very lenient though because the course has been in clearing for the past few years so could I insure them with the hope that if my firm (with the same offer) rejects me for missed grades- they could still accept me?
Reply 5
Original post by Anita B. Studin
Well if the interview went as well as you say it did then they should be quite lenient with you if you miss your grades.

I had an interview at Manchester too and we were told that the interview wasn't to see who gets the offer but how much they want us and should something go wrong and we miss out on the grades the interview would determine whether they'd still take us.

Oh right, that's interesting! Thank you.

I would have just loved the comfort of dropping down to a C in one subject. I don't think I'll have any trouble scoring As in my other two A-levels. I already have a BTEC to Distinction as well..

I might still insure them if this is the case!
Original post by lechaton-x
Oh right, that's interesting! Thank you.

I would have just loved the comfort of dropping down to a C in one subject. I don't think I'll have any trouble scoring As in my other two A-levels. I already have a BTEC to Distinction as well..

I might still insure them if this is the case!

By the way, don't put them as an insurance JUST because I told you they may be lenient. It's up to you if you want to take the risk and put them down as insurance.
Reply 7
Original post by Anita B. Studin
By the way, don't put them as an insurance JUST because I told you they may be lenient. It's up to you if you want to take the risk and put them down as insurance.

The thing is, all of my offers that I feel comfortable going to will be the same grades -.- leaving me in a bit of a pickle! Leeds wants BB but I don't want to go there....so confused!
Reply 8
I had an interview last Wednesday for biomedical sciences there, they offer you your predicted grades.
The thing is, all of my offers that I feel comfortable going to will be the same grades -.- leaving me in a bit of a pickle! Leeds wants BB but I don't want to go there....so confused!

Leeds wouldn't be a bad place to go. I live there-it's nice. :wink:
ABB=not high. What are your predicted grades?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MostCompetitive

ABB is high for some. Don't be ignorant.

A*AB and a Distinction in a BTEC. I know it's not high, but it's the top spectrum of offers they give out- kind of worried that the subject I'm predicted a B in, I might drop down to a C which makes it kind of risky.
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
ABB is high for some. Don't be ignorant.

I would have been happy if it was an AAC offer! I just wanted some flexibility with my worst subject :frown:

I know Leeds is good and all but, I don't know! Nothing is grabbing me about it....I'm hoping I'll change my mind when I go and visit it!
A*AB and a Distinction in a BTEC. I know it's not high, but it's the top spectrum of offers they give out- kind of worried that the subject I'm predicted a B in, I might drop down to a C which makes it kind of risky.

If you drop down to a C then you'll still get an A*AC which is better than ABB isn't it?
If you drop down to a C then you'll still get an A*AC which is better than ABB isn't it?

But it still doesn't meet the offer, which means I won't qualify for a place automatically...it would be at the university's discretion to whether they'd let me in or not...
Reply 16
You have a few months to make sure things don't go tits up! Work your ass off so you get the grades you need. :smile:
Whats wrong with ABB? Most uni offers arent gonna be lower than that.
But it still doesn't meet the offer, which means I won't qualify for a place automatically...it would be at the university's discretion to whether they'd let me in or not...

If you work hard you WILL get in. It is as simple as that. Get to work and you'll reap the rewards.
I had an interview for Arabic (which is a very uncompetitive department) at Manchester and it went so so well. I really clicked with the professor and he said that he would recommend an offer of BBC to admissions, which is their lowest offer. I was so pleased by this, however- he did ensure that I knew that this was a merely a recommendation to the admissions team and it could vary when I offically got my offer through on UCAS (he gave me a place on the spot).

Anyway- it came through this morning and they want ABB! Which makes it along the same lines as one of my top choices. So gutted as I really wanted Manchester as insurance :frown: does anyone have any ideas to why admissions would offer me the highest they could have demanded from me? My grades and predictions were good, I was complimented on my personal statement and my interview went so well.

Also clueless for what I'm going to do next as I don't think I will have a very good insurance that I wouldn't mind going to if everything goes tits up in August.

Because its an easy subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending