The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by yahyahyah
he can give advice out all he likes

i know some girls at newnham and they don't like it - all were pooled and would much rather have gone to a diff college. girton is practically the same as homerton and the people i know there say it's a hassle. let people give their own opinions on these topics and then the applicants can decide for themselves based on the information given. you don't have some sort of authority on what people think of these places.

we'd all like to say every college is great but at the end of the day...

Here here!
Reply 41
Original post by Craghyrax
I don't disagree with this last bit. But I also have found that how people experience colleges is highly subjective. At each college you get people who hate it and people who love it, and people who are indifferent. Everybody develops their own idea of what colleges are like based on their own experiences, rumours that they hear from friends, and the subjective experiences of their friends. This is obviously a very one sided account of what a college is like. From different sources I have heard X college is amazing! And X college is awful!

It is quite damaging to impose your ideas about colleges on other people The reasons for people liking or disliking particular colleges are also not common to everybody. For instance not having a 24hr JCR and college library was a real pain for me. But that didn't bother other people in my college at all.

If you are going to tell people who are not at Cambridge about colleges you should make an effort to give them a neutral opinion, not just make blanket statements based on crude stereotypes. Its really unhelpful and can put people off of applying to places they may have loved. The best thing is to help people work out which factors they should think about and look out for when reading college websites so they can make an informed decision based on their own personal preferences and needs.

The advice of the person I criticised has often in this forum been to make very negative sweeping generalisations about things, which I think is unhelpful and can mislead people who don't have any source of information. My responsibility as a moderator is to ensure that people in this forum are getting help and useful constructive information. I am not censoring his opinion and I haven't used my power as a moderator to punish him. I could have, for instance, removed his post or tried to give him warnings. Instead I disagreed with him simply as another user in the forum, allowing people who read to be able to comment.
I don't think you'd know this about that user's posting history unless you're his dupe, which isn't that improbable given that you have only 14 posts on this forum and already you've made a comment opining that somebody 'should be in the red', which is not typical for new users.

1. No it isn't, that's life. You take account of the information at hand and make a decision. When we read articles in the paper etc of course they are biased, we then use our own sense of judgement to make a decision.

2. 'Source of information'? Who comes on TSR to use it as a 'source of information'? As far as I'm aware people come on here to have a banter about anything and everything. If they want a 'source of information' they'll go to Wikipedia.

3. Punish? For what? Having an opinion on some of the colleges? Heaven forbid. You seem to be forgetting that people have their own sense of judgement - I have read so many biased threads and posts on TSR - I don't get in a huff about it. I just make my own decisions/opinions and accept that other people have theirs.

Some of the posts and replies to threads (not mine) on TSR I have read have been full of swear words, abuse and vulgar suggestions. Why don't you go and have a go at them instead? Seems like your moderating duties are based on your opinions rather than the rules.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by yahyahyah
poor bant

man it's fun wasting a bit of time on the internet after term.

I can't say that being rude and insulting to people features very highly on my list of favourite holiday pursuits, but knock yourself out. (Within the site rules of course)
Original post by dd4483

2. 'Source of information'? Who comes on TSR to use it as a 'source of information'? As far as I'm aware people come on here to have a banter about anything and everything. If they want a 'source of information' they'll go to Wikipedia.
Loads of people do, and that is the goal of the site for the Universities section.
dd4483

Some of the posts and replies to threads (not mine) on TSR I have read have been full of swear words, abuse and vulgar suggestions. Why don't you go and have a go at them instead? Seems like your moderating duties are based on your opinions rather than the rules.

I do when I see them, but not every single post and thread on the site is read by moderators.

As mentioned before, I moderate according to the rules and I post using my own opinions and views same as any other user. I was not taking an action of moderation when I criticised your views. I was simply contributing my own view and disagreeing with yours. That is no more problematic than it is for you to have an opinion about colleges and to share them. I simply opposed those because I think they are unhelpful, as mentioned above.
Reply 43
Original post by mya369
And yeah, top grades aren't enough. I learnt this last year when I applied.

Out of interest, what did you apply for? And did you get rejected pre-interview?
Reply 44
Original post by dd4483
Here here!

"Hear, hear." by the way. I'll be back here come January 6th. Tarah.
Reply 45
Original post by qua
Out of interest, what did you apply for? And did you get rejected pre-interview?

Biological Nat sci. No, I was pooled and re-interviewed by a different college, then rejected.
I also have found that how people experience colleges is highly subjective. At each college you get people who hate it and people who love it, and people who are indifferent.

Yeah of course, but once people know the actual 'facts' about the college, they rely on subjective opinions about the 'general atmousphere' to make decisions. I would imagine they do not rely on simply one opinion, and also if an opinion strikes dissonance with their previous knowledge of the particular college, then I think they would be skeptical of it.

Since an average applicant will be open to a number of differing subjective views, as well as their own experience, formed by visits and knowledge of the facilities of the particular college, differing subjective views will be helpful in forming an overall decision. Considering other people's personal experiences and opinions is, after all, an important source in the construction of one's own world-views.

Hence, I disagree with your following statements (the two immediately below):

This is obviously a very one sided account of what a college is like.

It is quite damaging to impose your ideas about colleges on other people

___

The reasons for people liking or disliking particular colleges are also not common to everybody.

Concerning the above statement, I would hope people exercise a degree of critical thinking in their assessment of people's personal opinions in order to assess their specific relevance. Generally, people give one or two reasons justifying their like or dislike a particular college. The example of the poster's opinion of Girton is the justification of the college being far away from the city centre. In what way is that not a legitimating factor in forming an opinion?

In short, people typically only take heed of opinions when they are justified with some kind of reasoning. In those cases, the PARTICULAR reasons will be assessed in their importance to the individual making the decision.

If you are going to tell people who are not at Cambridge about colleges you should make an effort to give them a neutral opinion, not just make blanket statements based on crude stereotypes.

Again, I think you're being too lenient upon the applicant (or insulting, depending on how you look at it).

So far I haven't read many factually incorrect or misleading information about colleges. Also from experience, I haven't encountered anyone who feels like they have been 'misled' in to applying to a particular college. Such a decision should be shaped through the applicants own efforts to find accurate information, and RELIABLE opinions.

My responsibility as a moderator is to ensure that people in this forum are getting help and useful constructive information.

Fair enough, but conversely, over-moderation can lead to a LACK of helpful personal feelings and experiences, which might be helpful to pursue.

...Sorry for being overly formal and critical. I am in essay mode and feeling very skeptical.
Reply 47
Original post by T-o dore
Yeah of course, but once people know the actual 'facts' about the college, they rely on subjective opinions about the 'general atmousphere' to make decisions. I would imagine they do not rely on simply one opinion, and also if an opinion strikes dissonance with their previous knowledge of the particular college, then I think they would be skeptical of it.

Since an average applicant will be open to a number of differing subjective views, as well as their own experience, formed by visits and knowledge of the facilities of the particular college, differing subjective views will be helpful in forming an overall decision. Considering other people's personal experiences and opinions is, after all, an important source in the construction of one's own world-views.

Hence, I disagree with your following statements (the two immediately below):

___

Concerning the above statement, I would hope people exercise a degree of critical thinking in their assessment of people's personal opinions in order to assess their specific relevance. Generally, people give one or two reasons justifying their like or dislike a particular college. The example of the poster's opinion of Girton is the justification of the college being far away from the city centre. In what way is that not a legitimating factor in forming an opinion?

In short, people typically only take heed of opinions when they are justified with some kind of reasoning. In those cases, the PARTICULAR reasons will be assessed in their importance to the individual making the decision.

Again, I think you're being too lenient upon the applicant (or insulting, depending on how you look at it).

So far I haven't read many factually incorrect or misleading information about colleges. Also from experience, I haven't encountered anyone who feels like they have been 'misled' in to applying to a particular college. Such a decision should be shaped through the applicants own efforts to find accurate information, and RELIABLE opinions.

Fair enough, but conversely, over-moderation can lead to a LACK of helpful personal feelings and experiences, which might be helpful to pursue.

...Sorry for being overly formal and critical. I am in essay mode and feeling very skeptical.

awesome response

suck on that, mod
Original post by T-o dore
<sensible post re giving opinions on colleges>

hear hear! 100%.
Original post by chaz1992
I have to say around 90% of engineers there were Chinese.

I had an interview with Dr Guy Williams and Dr Liping Xu first. Both really nice people to talk to, I felt confident, comfortable and happy during that interview.

I then had the interview I messed up on with Dr Bill O'Neill and Dr Jie Li. Dr Bill O'Neill did the physics questions before walking out and coming back in and Dr Jie Li did the maths questions. I worked out the answer to the questions on the train ride home. When the day was over I left Downing and say Dr Jie Li having a cigarette in the corner of the entrace to Downing College :biggrin:

OMG I had the same people interviewing me last year in that order, (got rejected) but I had a similar experience with Neill and Li, Li was the biggest ****er ever, in fact I think I may have let him know...
Reply 50
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
OMG I had the same people interviewing me last year in that order, (got rejected) but I had a similar experience with Neill and Li, Li was the biggest ****er ever, in fact I think I may have let him know...

Did they ask you similar questions or completely different ones?

The interview with Bill O'Neill was a nightmare for me :s

But it doesn't seem to have gone good for most people.
(edited 13 years ago)

Someone ended up calling Neill a 'dickhead' after their interview :eek:. I guess he was stubborn as he would rather get on with his work- playing with lasers. He did his degree at University of Essex in 1985. I guess he just wishes he was as smart as the interviewees when he was applying for uni.

Neill seemed really pissed off at me for some unknown reason, all the others were nice. I don't know how much of it was the usual 'Good cop bad cop' routine though.
Reply 52
if its any comfort for all who got rejected, i got rejected too :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by Digit_Five
Neill seemed really pissed off at me for some unknown reason, all the others were nice. I don't know how much of it was the usual 'Good cop bad cop' routine though.

He started off the interview really nice and after that it just went downhill until he left. When was your Downing interview?
I got a rejection from Pembroke, but i was more annoyed that I did essays for them and the day I was sending them off I got my rejection. so they just wasted my time basically :angry:
He started off the interview really nice and after that it just went downhill until he left. When was your Downing interview?

7th, you? I really don't feel like I did well enough though, but I will have to wait and see.
Reply 56
Original post by Digit_Five
7th, you? I really don't feel like I did well enough though, but I will have to wait and see.

7th as well :redface:

What time?

I had guy williams first and bill oneill an hour before the test.
(edited 13 years ago)

Someone ended up calling Neill a 'dickhead' after their interview :eek:. I guess he was stubborn as he would rather get on with his work- playing with lasers. He did his degree at University of Essex in 1985. I guess he just wishes he was as smart as the interviewees when he was applying for uni.

The questions were pretty much all maths, with the odd physics application like buoyancy of an object.
7th as well :redface:

What time?

I had guy williams at 11 and bill oneill at 11:55.

Haha, mine were the same time just the other way round, small world :P
Reply 59
I think I may have seen you. Were you the chinese kid who I asked where O2 was as I read O1 as O2 :eek: ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending