The Student Room Group

Giving blood and getting a piercing in the same day...too much?

For a while now I've wanted my cartilage pierced but before I get it done I would like to give blood because I wont be able to for a while after getting a piercing done.

I have a phobia of needles (but giving blood is a good thing to do so definitely want to) so I'm debating getting both done in the same day just to get all the needle stuff over and done with...

Is this recommendable? Or do you think it more likely that I'll faint or something?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your chances of fainting will depend greatly on the severity of your phobia.
I have a phobia of needles myself, but only for having blood drawn/injections - they don't bother me with piercings.

If you're the same then I think you'll be fine. However, if you know piercings trigger your phobia too, then I'd say maybe give blood one day and go back the next day/weekend for a piercing.
Reply 2
I don't know about doing both on the same day being too much but I can say this; no-one likes having a needle stuck in their arm/face, but it helps not to watch. I can easily have injections (had to have 5+ before going to India for a month) but I would never want to watch the needle go in...
Reply 3
Original post by greeneyedgirl
For a while now I've wanted my cartilage pierced but before I get it done I would like to give blood because I wont be able to for a while after getting a piercing done.

I have a phobia of needles (but giving blood is a good thing to do so definitely want to) so I'm debating getting both done in the same day just to get all the needle stuff over and done with...

Is this recommendable? Or do you think it more likely that I'll faint or something?

We can't really tell you if you're likely to faint, it depends on how strongly you react to seeing them. When I got my ears done you can't see them do it so that's nothing to worry about really, you just have the sensation you can't seeing it being done. You don't have to look at the needle when giving blood. I don't have a problem with needles but I dont make a point of looking at them doing it. It might be easier for you to give blood first and see how you're feeling about it all afterwards, and depending on whether you're up for it go for your piercing too.

Good for you for wanting to give blood though! :smile:
Original post by Renni131

Original post by Renni131
Your chances of fainting will depend greatly on the severity of your phobia.
I have a phobia of needles myself, but only for having blood drawn/injections - they don't bother me with piercings.

If you're the same then I think you'll be fine. However, if you know piercings trigger your phobia too, then I'd say maybe give blood one day and go back the next day/weekend for a piercing.

It depends on how they do the piercing, I'm not sure if the place I'm going to uses a gun or a needle...if it's a needle I'll get creeped out!

Original post by Josh398
I don't know about doing both on the same day being too much but I can say this; no-one likes having a needle stuck in their arm/face, but it helps not to watch. I can easily have injections (had to have 5+ before going to India for a month) but I would never want to watch the needle go in...

I can't even look at a picture of a needle without feeling sick :s-smilie: When I went with a friend to get his ear pierced I felt sick even though I was sat in the waiting room just because I knew there were needles in the vicinity...
Reply 5
It depends on how they do the piercing, I'm not sure if the place I'm going to uses a gun or a needle...if it's a needle I'll get creeped out!

Any good place should use a needle. Ear piercing guns can damage the tissue because of the blunt force behind them.
If your phobia is bad enough that the thought creeps you out then I'd say it's best not to get it done in one day!

But hey, just see how you feel after giving blood and if you feel ok/didn't pass out at the donation then you can always go for it :smile:
Reply 6
giving blood lol people who donate blood disgust me
Reply 7
Original post by Jacktri
giving blood lol people who donate blood disgust me

Why? Beacuse we're prepared to give up some time and a bit of blood to potentially save someones life? Yeah real disgusting.
If you have a phobia of needles, you shouldn't really give blood..

I can't even look at a picture of a needle without feeling sick :s-smilie: When I went with a friend to get his ear pierced I felt sick even though I was sat in the waiting room just because I knew there were needles in the vicinity...

i just realised it's been mentioned before but...
Do not get anything pierced with a gun, they're so unhygienic and damaging to your body and they can't be sterilised properly.

it just depends on how you feel after giving blood.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rugbyladosc

Original post by rugbyladosc
If you have a phobia of needles, you shouldn't really give blood..

I'd expect someone with a phobia of needles to have given blood for me...
I wouldn't worry, I have a severe needle phobia and overcame it giving blood :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by TVC15
Why? Beacuse we're prepared to give up some time and a bit of blood to potentially save someones life? Yeah real disgusting.

yes people who lose blood deserve to die for not taking care of themselves
Reply 13

Hmm well I can't talk about giving blood, but with piercings;

Don't get it done in a place that uses guns to pierce. They're only designed to pierce lobes anyway, but have drawbacks. They aren't always sterilised properly. They pierce with the earring stud, which is more blunt than a needle, causing extra tissue trauma.

The piercer should show you the needle before she uses it (in the unopened packet) to show you it's a fresh one. You won't be able to see your ear being pierced unless you're for some reason facing a mirror. You'll feel hotness when it goes in to your ear, it won't really feel like a needle as such.

If you think you'll feel faint for any reason, drink a sugary drink before you go in.
All in all it's not a bad experience. I like having piercings done... :mmm:
Original post by aliluvschoc

Original post by aliluvschoc
The piercer should show you the needle before she uses it (in the unopened packet) to show you it's a fresh one. You won't be able to see your ear being pierced unless you're for some reason facing a mirror. You'll feel hotness when it goes in to your ear, it won't really feel like a needle as such.

I'm taking a friend with me just so she can be the one to look at the needle, if I have to look at it there is an EXTREMELY high chance I will faint!
Reply 15
Original post by Jacktri
yes people who lose blood deserve to die for not taking care of themselves

Right! Of course! So silly of me to think that someone who's been viciously attacked or perhaps someone involved in a car accident deserve to live!

You're the scum of the earth.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm taking a friend with me just so she can be the one to look at the needle, if I have to look at it there is an EXTREMELY high chance I will faint!

Just try to remember to breathe and slowly! Suggest to your friend to chat to you about what her plans are over the holidays, what you're doing, what you're up to next weekend, something to try and keep your mind off of it. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by TVC15
Right! Of course! So silly of me to think that someone who's been viciously attacked or perhap someone involved in a car accident deserve to live!

You're the scum of the earth.

ok i'm going to force myself to lose blood to get some free blood from the nhs and keep doing it just to abuse the fact people can get blood
Reply 18
Original post by Jacktri
ok i'm going to force myself to lose blood to get some free blood from the nhs and keep doing it just to abuse the fact people can get blood

You need to seek help. There is something seriously wrong with you.
Reply 19
Original post by TVC15
You need to seek help. There is something seriously wrong with you.

says someone who wants to cut themselves and lose blood on purpose you emo

Quick Reply