The Student Room Group

"I dont think I can afford it"

Guys

There's this guy whom I have dated a few times. The other day I kinda wanted to show him to my friends so I invited him to have dinner with us in a restaurant. At first he said he would let me know later. The next day I asked him when we were talking online, he said "I dont think I can afford it".

Lol to me, personally, if I couldnt afford a meal when invited, I would make up some other excuses. I would never say I cant afford it. I dont know if this is just me. What do you think? Do you think it makes the other person appear cheap? or it's normal to say smth like that? I dont wanna sound shallow but I was quite disappointed when he said so. :frown:

And also do u think he was just lying coz he didnt want to see me again? He doesnt go to uni and has a job. It's hard to believe that he actually cant afford it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could be paying for something else have you thought about that, I am paying for a trip to lanzarote and have about £20 spare over the next month to pay for it in time. So it could be a situation like this.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Lol to me, personally, if I couldnt afford a meal when invited, I would make up some other excuses. I would never say I cant afford it. I dont know if this is just me. What do you think? Do you think it makes the other person appear cheap? or it's normal to say smth like that? I dont wanna sound shallow but I was quite disappointed when he said so. :frown:

And also do u think he was just lying coz he didnt want to see me again? He doesnt go to uni and has a job. It's hard to believe that he actually cant afford it.

So, you're disappointed that he told you the truth instead of lying to you. :lolwut:

Not everyone can afford to eat out, don't be so insensitive.
Be happy he was honest with you. Usually people complain their partners are hiding stuff from them
Reply 4
If I couldn't afford to go for a meal somewhere, I'd say I couldn't afford it. May as well be honest. I don't think there's anything in it other than what he said.
Reply 5
Why didn't you pay for it?
Reply 6
looool I would have made a story, but still to give him credit for being honest. He might just, just be like all man dreading the inevitable........meeting your gf friends it next thing to meeting her parents
Reply 7
Im always honest and I cant afford it then I cant afford it.
Reply 8
Original post by Blueflare
So, you're disappointed that he told you the truth instead of lying to you. :lolwut:

Not everyone can afford to eat out, don't be so insensitive.

I was just being insecure that he might not wanna see me again so he said that as an excuse :frown:
I duno.... It's just that where I come from, people dont say that kind of thing. Its not like they wanna appear rich, they just dont say that. And I dont think I will invite him to go out like that again because it would be awkward if he said that again :frown: And i didnt know what to say when he said he couldnt afford it. :frown: I just said oh right, its ok then moved on to talk about smth else.
And also when people say that, do they expect you to offer to pay for them though? lol
Reply 9
Original post by Threepigs
Why didn't you pay for it?

Because I was afraid he would say no or it would be an awkward situation dont u agree? Besides, we have only seen each other a few times, we r not bf gf yet. If u said to a girl u couldnt afford a meal with her and her friends, and she said she would pay for u, would u accept it?
Somehow I was afraid that if he accepted to let me pay, it would make him appear "uncool", lol I dont know how to explain this..... and because I like this guy, I was scared to know he would let me pay....i mean, to find out he isnt "nice". Dont get me wrong though, when i was with my ex, I paid for him sometimes, but we were bf gf. This is nothing yet, we are just dating
Reply 10
You are actually making a big deal out of this?
Original post by Anonymous
Guys

There's this guy whom I have dated a few times. The other day I kinda wanted to show him to my friends so I invited him to have dinner with us in a restaurant. At first he said he would let me know later. The next day I asked him when we were talking online, he said "I dont think I can afford it".

What excuse would you make up? :holmes:

Anyway, if you want to eat at places such as The Ivy and Nobu, PM me.
hmm so you'd have preferred a lie? Like saying he had something else planned...

I wonder if you'd then make a thread being disgusted when you found out he had lied and he actually had no plans, it was because he couldn't really afford it, why couldn't he have just told you the truth?

no right thing for him to do I guess..
Original post by unknownking321

Anyway, if you want to eat at places such as The Ivy and Nobu, PM me.

Is that an invitation to everyone? :sexface:
Reply 14
I'd say his real reason is that he is shy and nervous about meeting your friends. And probably feels too embarrassed to tell you that.
He could have been my son.
Reply 16
Original post by mummyperson
He could have been my son.

haha what did u mean by that?
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Is that an invitation to everyone? :sexface:

Possibly. What do you look like? :holmes: You're not going to upload the details of our 'dinner' onto Youtube afterwards, are you? :holmes:

Possibly. What do you look like? :holmes: You're not going to upload the details of our 'dinner' onto Youtube afterwards, are you? :holmes:

Well I have green eyes (shocking that...), brown hair and vampire teeth :tongue:

No, however I would of course discuss the evening at length with my friends...
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Well I have green eyes (shocking that...), brown hair and vampire teeth :tongue:

No, however I would of course discuss the evening at length with my friends...

Sounds like a date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending