The Student Room Group

2 Degree's... at the same time.

Heyy. I'm currently a sixth form student and hope to be going to university this september.
I want to study science at uni, and I've narrowed down the subjects i want to do to neurology, human biology, biochemistry and chemistry.
The uni i want to study at is keele, and it has a duel hons system which allows you to study a half degree in two subjects sorta.
I'm really stuck for which two to choose, because they all seem so interesting! not to mention the benefits getting 2 good degree's would hold for when i come to apply for post-graduate medicine.
So my question is, would it be possible to study two degree's at the same time? what would the workload be like compared to A level, what are my chances of getting good results in both, and most importantly, will i have to pay double costs?

Any help/advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated :smile:
thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neo-apollo

So my question is, would it be possible to study two degree's at the same time?

I very much doubt it.

what would the workload be like compared to A level,

Just horrendous.

what are my chances of getting good results in both

Pretty much zero.

and most importantly, will i have to pay double costs?

Almost certainly.

In short, terrible idea, hence why pretty much no one does it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
There would probably be massive logistical problems, but some people do it.
Reply 3
Tbh I don't think it would be impossible. I've got a very intense course and I seem to spend most of my time playing cricket and on TSR lol.

Hmm... probs could be done.
Reply 4
Original post by Fusion

thanks for the feedback, what sort of logistical problems?
Heyy. I'm currently a sixth form student and hope to be going to university this september.
I want to study science at uni, and I've narrowed down the subjects i want to do to neurology, human biology, biochemistry and chemistry.
The uni i want to study at is keele, and it has a duel hons system which allows you to study a half degree in two subjects sorta.
I'm really stuck for which two to choose, because they all seem so interesting! not to mention the benefits getting 2 good degree's would hold for when i come to apply for post-graduate medicine.
So my question is, would it be possible to study two degree's at the same time? what would the workload be like compared to A level, what are my chances of getting good results in both, and most importantly, will i have to pay double costs?

Any help/advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated :smile:
thanks.

1. Neurology is a medical speciality which requires an undergraduate medical training. Do you mean neuroscience?

2. It's graduate medicine, not postgraduate.
Reply 6
Original post by DJkG.1
Tbh I don't think it would be impossible. I've got a very intense course and I seem to spend most of my time playing cricket and on TSR lol.

Hmm... probs could be done.

I spend most of my time revising and studying so...
Reply 7
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
1. Neurology is a medical speciality which requires an undergraduate medical training. Do you mean neuroscience?

2. It's graduate medicine, not postgraduate.

My bad. yes i meant neuroscience, i was just talking to my friend about how doing a degree in neuroscience would help specializing into neurology in medicine. and also, my bad again... I meant a post graduate route into medicine. some med schools only accept students who already have a degree in science.
Reply 8
thanks for the feedback, what sort of logistical problems?

Timetables. What if an important practical clashes with an exam etc...
I meant a post graduate route into medicine. some med schools only accept students who already have a degree in science.

No. That's graduate entry. It's not 'postgraduate medicine'.
No sensible university would let you be enrolled on more than one degree course at a time. Whether you study your arse off doesn't matter - a degree is intended to be FULL TIME, that is 40 hours per week. A university won't let you do this twice over. The exception is certain additional OU modules but even then you are supposed to have this signed off by your bricks'n'mortar university.

And 'degree's' doesn't have an apostrophe.
Reply 11
im confused about whether you mean 2 degrees at the same time, or a dual honours? (e.g. economics and maths)
if it's the second one, lot's of people do it
people even go for 3 at a time - PPE etc.
so i'm guessing the workload wouldn't be spectacularly increased
It you worked flat out, and were very talented, you'd just manage to graduate with a 2.2. You wouldn't be able to do any societies or have a part time job though. 21 year old students of Chemistry and Biology spend hours into the night studying, crying, pulling all nighters, just to pass their degree. There aren't enough hours in the day to do twice the work.

Your graduate medicine application would look much stronger with a first in ONE degree, plus strong work experience.
Reply 13
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
No. That's graduate entry. It's not 'postgraduate medicine'.

If all you're going to do is nit pick at this thread then get the hell offa it.
Original post by Fusion

Out of interest, do you know anyone who has? I know people at the postgrad level (eg a PhD with a PGcert on the side) but I've never come across it at undergraduate. I'd be interested to know what the circumstances were, since I imagine they would have to be utterly exceptional.
Reply 15
Original post by screenager2004
It you worked flat out, and were very talented, you'd just manage to graduate with a 2.2. You wouldn't be able to do any societies or have a part time job though. 21 year old students of Chemistry and Biology spend hours into the night studying, crying, pulling all nighters, just to pass their degree. There aren't enough hours in the day to do twice the work.

Your graduate medicine application would look much stronger with a first in ONE degree, plus strong work experience.

guess that settles it then. thank you :smile:
which 2 do i pick though... hmmm...
Reply 16
You would not be allowed to do it, no university worth it's salt would take you on. First logistically there is no way you could fit your timetable around it. If you have a strong intrest in several subjects just do a combined honours or a natural sciences degree.

But in short it is not possible to do two degrees at the same time, it wouldn't be worth it either there'd be no real benefits. As well as the fact that even if you managed to somehow fit the time needed to do 2 degrees (which is pretty much impossible) you wouldn't actually have time to sleep.
Reply 17
Original post by theths
im confused about whether you mean 2 degrees at the same time, or a dual honours? (e.g. economics and maths)
if it's the second one, lot's of people do it
people even go for 3 at a time - PPE etc.
so i'm guessing the workload wouldn't be spectacularly increased

I meant 2 dual honours. at the same time.
guess that settles it then. thank you :smile:
which 2 do i pick though... hmmm...

You're going to waste sooo much money.
Reply 19
I meant 2 dual honours. at the same time.

wut, so...4 subjects?

Latest

Trending

Trending