The Student Room Group

Vaccinations before starting med school?

Hi, I was wondering when I should get the vaccinations that med schools say you need to study there, eg. TB, hepatitis. Do I need to get them now, when I get my results or is it sorted out at uni when you start? Thanks.
Reply 1
It varies - some want you to have completed them all by the time you arrive in September and others are happy to get them all done once you're there. Have a look at this wiki page - it has links to the specific requirements of each medical school (though admittedly, some links may be out of date now)
Reply 2
Nottingham, Newcastle and Sheffield have all told me that they will send you to Occupational Health when you get there to get them done. Newcastle says something like "they'd prefer" you to start Hep B before you go, but it's not a requirement. Being as you have to pay £90 for Hep B, I think I'd rather wait and get it for free.
Reply 3
You don't always have to pay for Hep B - I didn't have to at my GP
Also tell your GP that you're a medical student and they normally waive the fees.

My hospital required me to get it before I started volunteering so it's all done for me :smile:
Original post by winter_mute

Also tell your GP that you're a medical student and they normally waive the fees.

My hospital required me to get it before I started volunteering so it's all done for me :smile:

Not 'normally' unfortunately. Current advice to GP practices is to charge prospective medical students and people requiring it for OH purposes.
Reply 6
Thanks guys, this is a lot of help :smile:
Original post by Revd. Mike
Not 'normally' unfortunately. Current advice to GP practices is to charge prospective medical students and people requiring it for OH purposes.

Well 3 separate GP's (two in my hometown and one in London) agreed to do it for free. I must have lucked out!

I almost had to have Varicella too because I'm not sure if I had it but I tested positive for the antibodies so :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by Hygeia
You don't always have to pay for Hep B - I didn't have to at my GP

Mine laugh at me when I mention that I've applied for Nottingham, "Why don't you wait until you enrol so you don't have to pay?". :puppyeyes:

Well 3 separate GP's (two in my hometown and one in London) agreed to do it for free. I must have lucked out!

I almost had to have Varicella too because I'm not sure if I had it but I tested positive for the antibodies so :s-smilie:

That was lucky! I was the last person at my GP practice to get it, after that they said they were making people pay for it.
Occupational Health at my hospital did my course for free. I figured anyone getting work exp in a medical setting would have had to do this already? Though, I suppose shadowing is different to long-term, hands-on work.
Reply 11
Original post by Happy Insomniac
Occupational Health at my hospital did my course for free. I figured anyone getting work exp in a medical setting would have had to do this already? Though, I suppose shadowing is different to long-term, hands-on work.

I never had any vaccinations for my long-term voluntary work? :dontknow:
Reply 12

Original post by Beska

That's odd. Maybe it's just a policy in my specific trust? Or it could be related to the activities you engage in; do you have clinical/physical contact with patients (washing, toileting, obs, blood glucose monitoring, venepuncture, etc)? I must confess ignorance on what volunteers do on wards. We don't seem to have any in my trust.
(edited 13 years ago)
With regards to the Hep B, at least in my area if you told them "you were hoping to go travelling over the summer" they'd give you the Hep A and B combined which is free, unlike the hep B on its own :s-smilie:

That was lucky! I was the last person at my GP practice to get it, after that they said they were making people pay for it.

Same :smile:
Reply 16
That's odd. Maybe it's just a policy in my specific trust? Or it could be related to the activities you engage in; do you have clinical/physical contact with patients (washing, toileting, obs, blood glucose monitoring, venepuncture, etc)? I must confess ignorance on what volunteers do on wards. We don't seem to have any in my trust.

My job description says my work is significantly more hands-on than what it actually is. :p: I am basically a receptionist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending