The Student Room Group

Julian Assange to be charged with espionage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337554/WikiLeaks-founder-Julian-Assange-charged-spying-US.html?ITO=1490

Daily Mail but I heard it just now on sky news.

Spying? Really? Come on this is just a joke.

Just shows the US could not find anything else to charge him with

Scroll to see replies

:facepalm2:

US.
Reply 2
When he campaigns against Political Correctness, then I'll believe he's really interested in free speech. But he's just a part of that Lefty machine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337554/WikiLeaks-founder-Julian-Assange-charged-spying-US.html#ixzz17lF6gh6P

Best comment on the Daily Mail in history
Reply 3
the whole case against is BS
Reply 4
"Daytime telly: Assange is forced to spend his days watching shows such as Loose Women"

LOL hahahahahah :rofl2:
I really hope he's not extradited to America. With the hysteria being whipped up over there I don't think he'd be guaranteed a fair trial.
Reply 6
Any other sources? I don't trust the daily mail.
Remember that thing that guarantees freedom of speech? What was it? Some amendment thing, name escapes me. Ah not that it matters.
Reply 8
Original post by Law123mus
Any other sources? I don't trust the daily mail.

Can't find another apart from the Metro when I google. I just heard it on a Sky News bulletin.
Reply 9
Original post by Ladipidoo
"Daytime telly: Assange is forced to spend his days watching shows such as Loose Women"

LOL hahahahahah :rofl2:

I believe that that is classed as cruel and usual punishment.

Original post by Seanisonfire
Remember that thing that guarantees freedom of speech? What was it? Some amendment thing, name escapes me. Ah not that it matters.

Sorry that's USA only, UK has no right of freedom of speech at all. Even where there is, ie USA, there are caveats. I think that at first Julian was in the right, however, some of the new information is not in the public interest.

On a side note we have seen the first fire in the online potential of war with the botnet attacks on institutions.
Reply 10
There will be a huge backlash against this, it would be wise for America to refrain from doing this.
Original post by Diaz89
There will be a huge backlash against this, it would be wise for America to refrain from doing this.

America wouldn't know the wise thing to do if it **** on its bed.
Reply 12
If there's proof that he's illegally hacked into documents and is now releasing them, surely he should be charged with something?

If you hacked into government documents illegally you would expect to get charged with something surely? (or am I missing something? I have a feeling I am.)

I like what he's done though, would be a shame to see him go to prison.
Reply 13
Original post by + polarity -
America wouldn't know the wise thing to do if it **** on its bed.

trusay
Reply 14
Original post by markrush
Sorry that's USA only, UK has no right of freedom of speech at all. Even where there is, ie USA, there are caveats. I think that at first Julian was in the right, however, some of the new information is not in the public interest.

The UK has Article 10 of the European Convention of Human Rights, but, in these circumstances, I'd think that freedom of expression would be extremely limited.

ARTICLE 10

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. this right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or the rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.
Reply 15
Original post by Jingers
The UK has Article 10 of the European Convention of Human Rights, but, in these circumstances, I'd think that freedom of expression would be extremely limited.

ARTICLE 10

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. this right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or the rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Agreed, but the courts do not carry it to the interpretation that it guarantees free speech.
Pretty bad a** thing to be charged with though!
'What are you in for?'
'Er...petty crime. You?'
'Espionage :cool:'

But in all seriousness, the US are just digging for things they can charge him with. As far as I'm aware, he hasn't realeased any particularly damaging information yet and although he probably shouldn't have released the documents, I don't think he should go to prison.
The Daily Mail might be doing their overexaggrated sensationalism thing though, I can't fully trust their reporting.

On a side note we have seen the first fire in the online potential of war with the botnet attacks on institutions.

He is being punished by the US. And what caveats are these? Freedom of speech until they disagree? Why even bother writing it down then? And he should be arrested because it wasn't in the public interest? Who are the public interest police?
Reply 18
Does this mean he'll be releasing the codes? I really want to know what's in that file! I don't even care if he gets shot!
Original post by Aj12
When he campaigns against Political Correctness, then I'll believe he's really interested in free speech. But he's just a part of that Lefty machine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337554/WikiLeaks-founder-Julian-Assange-charged-spying-US.html#ixzz17lF6gh6P

Best comment on the Daily Mail in history

:biggrin: Why does it not surprise me that you read The Daily Fail.

Here, I'm sure you'll enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending