The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone slept in the IC ?

Are you allowed since its 24 hours ? Not saying I would want to bring a duvet and a pillow mind :wink: I'm actually considering pulling an overnighter around exam time because I can't concentrate in my accommodation, plus I live right over on the other side of the city and it takes me a long time to walk up to uni.

I'm sure some of you guys have :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't yet but I can imagine quite a few people have
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I don't think you are allowed to sleep there although it does have showers. I would imagine some people have but you're better off going to bed if you can't concentrate and then getting up early to work.
Reply 3
I've seen people sleeping on the sofas
If you are caught sleeping they have to remove you. If you are in the IC for over 48 hours they will also come and find out where you are! I think its for your own welfare really :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by -honeybee-
I don't think you are allowed to sleep there although it does have showers. I would imagine some people have but you're better off going to bed if you can't concentrate and then getting up early to work.

The showers are there for people who cycle in
Reply 6
Original post by mollymustard
If you are caught sleeping they have to remove you. If you are in the IC for over 48 hours they will also come and find out where you are! I think its for your own welfare really :smile:

Is that what the announcements for people to come to the front desk are? I've always wondered how they know that certain people are in the IC when they call them. It makes sense if they call everyone who's been in there over a certain amount of time!
Original post by Conorrr
The showers are there for people who cycle in

That makes much more sense lol.

And they will know if your in the IC because you swipe your card when you go in!
Reply 8

lol I wonder if many people do actually stay there for more than 48 hours.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Is that what the announcements for people to come to the front desk are? I've always wondered how they know that certain people are in the IC when they call them. It makes sense if they call everyone who's been in there over a certain amount of time!

I think it could be - and it also happens when somebody accidently leaves a book, usb stick etc behind.

But yes, they do track how much you use the IC and MOLE as well. Tutors can actually access the records I have been told. Might be myth though...?
Reply 10
My mate did it, he took some cushions from the sofas, went right to the bottom of the stairwell (the one that links 4-6th floor). Apparently theres a spot under the stairs thats 'epic of napping'. Security found him though haha
im sorry but whats an IC?
I think it could be - and it also happens when somebody accidently leaves a book, usb stick etc behind.

But yes, they do track how much you use the IC and MOLE as well. Tutors can actually access the records I have been told. Might be myth though...?

Do you know why they would want to know how much we use MOLE?? (I get the IC but this seems a bit pointless?)
Do you know why they would want to know how much we use MOLE?? (I get the IC but this seems a bit pointless?)

I think they mainly use it in first year to double check you are attending things and paying attention - not dissapearing into oblivion in the first few months. Also if somebody doesn't log into MOLE they might not be getting the hang of resources properly!

I agree though, I'd hope the tutors would have better things to do with their time!
I think they mainly use it in first year to double check you are attending things and paying attention - not dissapearing into oblivion in the first few months. Also if somebody doesn't log into MOLE they might not be getting the hang of resources properly!

I agree though, I'd hope the tutors would have better things to do with their time!

But if the tutors are checking MOLE to make sure you're getting the hang of things and not disappearing into the oblivion and thus also probably trying to help when there's reason to believe things aren't going too well, then isn't that a quite good use of their time (and also one of the things they're supposed to do)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Isn't that what personal tutor meetings are for though? And you could go on MOLE but still have a problem/not attend.
Reply 16
I've still not met my personal tutor but then again it seems like a lot of people doing Sociology haven't because we're not forced to.

I spent all night at the IC the other day trying to finish an essay and saw plenty of people who had fallen asleep at their computers :P Never me though...yet...
Isn't that what personal tutor meetings are for though? And you could go on MOLE but still have a problem/not attend.

I've met my tutor about 6 times since I started Uni and each of those were because I asked them directly for help. They don't approach you and see if you are okay! So they can check up on whether or not people are using resources properly. I can't see it as such a bad thing!
I've met my tutor about 6 times since I started Uni and each of those were because I asked them directly for help. They don't approach you and see if you are okay! So they can check up on whether or not people are using resources properly. I can't see it as such a bad thing!

It must be different in each department then. I don't think it's a bad thing per se, I just don't see it as effective.
The IC is so quiet right now, it's bliss! Empty seats and PCs all around. I can imagine some people attempting to pull all nighters and just falling asleep at their desk - I saw someone with his head down using a big book for a pillow not long ago, bless him.

They probably don't want people to be living here, and lets face it that wouldn't be that much fun, so it's quite nice that they do check up on you to make sure you're ok...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending