The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Course choice/level help - OU

Hi, I am working towards the international studies BA/BSc, my first module is u116 starting in february.
i'll need 350 points in total so im guessing I could do two level 1's, two level 2's and three level 3's... but on the suggested routes it shows two examples with only one level 1 and three level 2's...

Would doing more level 2's and 3's give me a better grade or would the grade be the same if points were split equally amoung the levels.

If I were to do two levels ones would it be adviseable to do them at the same time i.e. both starting february or do you reckon that doing one and waiting until next october to do the next would be best... Im not sure on deadlines for these modules if any?

When I click into my module it says this: Your request to reserve place noted on 25 November 2010; on hold as further information is required.
is this bcause they are awaiting the finance to be approved and for the completed registration or has something gone wrong?

And one more question I have sent in all the finance stuff so am just waiting to hear back, if I were to apply for another course would I have to first wait to hear back about the finance or could i just apply now and hopefully it will just get linked to my other finance application.

Sorry about all the questions but am mega confused.

Thanks in advance,

Elektra
Original post by elektra.
Hi, I am working towards the international studies BA/BSc, my first module is u116 starting in february.
i'll need 350 points in total so im guessing I could do two level 1's, two level 2's and three level 3's... but on the suggested routes it shows two examples with only one level 1 and three level 2's...

Would doing more level 2's and 3's give me a better grade or would the grade be the same if points were split equally amoung the levels.

Doing more level 2s and/or 3s won't give you a better grade per se, but, because your degree classification is determined by grades achieved at levels 2 and 3 (with level 3 grades carrying the most weight), you might give yourself a better chance of achieving a higher classification if you do an extra level 2 or 3 instead of an extra level 1 module. For example, say you did your two level 3 modules and got a disappointing grade for one of them: you could do an additional level 3 module to give yourself a chance of compensating for the poor grade on the other one. Not sure if that makes sense - it's reading very garbled to me although I know what I'm trying to say :biggrin:

How prescriptive is the IS degree pathway in terms of the number of compulsory modules?

If I were to do two levels ones would it be adviseable to do them at the same time i.e. both starting february or do you reckon that doing one and waiting until next october to do the next would be best... Im not sure on deadlines for these modules if any?

It depends on how much time you have available for study and your timescale for achieving your degree really.

When I click into my module it says this: Your request to reserve place noted on 25 November 2010; on hold as further information is required.
is this bcause they are awaiting the finance to be approved and for the completed registration or has something gone wrong?

Have you submitted all the forms/info for your registration/finance application? If so then the message means they are still processing your application, but if you're worried then do give them a ring: I've always found the OU advisers very helpful on the phone.

And one more question I have sent in all the finance stuff so am just waiting to hear back, if I were to apply for another course would I have to first wait to hear back about the finance or could i just apply now and hopefully it will just get linked to my other finance application.

You should be able to apply now and the finance will be covered but if in doubt, call them and you can sort out the registration over the phone. That's what I'd do :smile:

Sorry about all the questions but am mega confused.

Hope you get it all sorted and good luck!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Have you done 10 points already? An honours degree is usually 360 points total.
Reply 3

Hiya, i'm also starting U116 in Feb.

It'll be my First OU Module... Come join our Facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/home.php?sk=group_136988146352799

Katie
Reply 4
Thankyou very much for all your help, think im going to do this course on its own rather than two at once until I know what to expect... kind've want to do the degree within 3 years so Im just hoping Ill be ok doing a new module every 6 months... think Ill be best doing mainly 2' and 3's like you said for point reasons.... the modules also seem more interesting at the higher levels.

Im going to call them tomorrow I think just to make sure everythings going through ok just for reassurance, Im pretty sure i've done everythings thats needed to be done just the deadline I think which is worrying me a bit..

Thanks again for all your help

Elektra
Reply 5
Thankyou very much for all your help, think im going to do this course on its own rather than two at once until I know what to expect... kind've want to do the degree within 3 years so Im just hoping Ill be ok doing a new module every 6 months... think Ill be best doing mainly 2' and 3's like you said for point reasons.... the modules also seem more interesting at the higher levels

Good call. Better an extra few months than getting overwhelmed early. I'm sure you're capable, but it is notably easier after getting to grips with the way things work. Nothing to stress about then as everything becomes obvious, including having a much better idea of how much to take on.

Welcome aboard.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey, I've just registered to start U116 in February too so just wanted to say hi. Is this everyone's first OU course?

Harriet
Reply 7
Original post by Harriet-Rose
Hey, I've just registered to start U116 in February too so just wanted to say hi. Is this everyone's first OU course?

Harriet

Hey Harriet!!
U116 will be my first Module, I'm working towards Bsc Environmental studies.
Is it your first??
Where are you from?

If you're on Facebook, you can feel free to join our study group... The link is in this thread a few posts up. There's about 11 of us so far... all starting in Feb :smile:

Katie
Oh cool, yeah it's my first too. I'm working towards BA/BSc International Studies. I'm from Portsmouth - how about you?

Thanks, I'll join the group now :smile:

Harriet
Reply 9
Oh cool, yeah it's my first too. I'm working towards BA/BSc International Studies. I'm from Portsmouth - how about you?

Thanks, I'll join the group now :smile:

Harriet

I'm studying towards international studies as well. Except my first course is DD101 ;p

what are your intentions after you finish this degree?
Original post by LW5x01
I'm studying towards international studies as well. Except my first course is DD101 ;p

what are your intentions after you finish this degree?

Ah OK fair enough, I found it quite hard to choose between U116 and DD101!

Planning to work for an NGO, preferably in the international development or child welfare fields. I work in marketing at the moment so it makes sense to use that experience. Alternatively, in-country logistics or volunteer co-ordination appeals to me. How about you?
Reply 11
Ah OK fair enough, I found it quite hard to choose between U116 and DD101!

Planning to work for an NGO, preferably in the international development or child welfare fields. I work in marketing at the moment so it makes sense to use that experience. Alternatively, in-country logistics or volunteer co-ordination appeals to me. How about you?

Well my dream is pretty known among IR students...

UN, Nato, EU, the government, think tanks, research....etc :biggrin:

I want to work for the government at the end..maybe as an independent consultant, or something like that.

But all that is before my masters :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest