The Student Room Group

Gays in the army - do it like the Spartans?

I've just recently found out that homosexuality was very much advocated in Ancient Greece and that the Spartans practised homosexual acts even if they weren't gay (it was more male-boding)

Now I was thinking, why has this changed? Back then the men were real men, hardened warriors and were man enough to engage in coitus with a man and still be regarded a straight man who just helped lift the spirits of his friends.

Surely they were better warriors because of it? shall we take a lesson from them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sure, do you want it up the ass? Bromance FTW :ahee:
Reply 2
Original post by aws
I've just recently found out that homosexuality was very much advocated in Ancient Greece and that the Spartans practised homosexual acts even if they weren't gay (it was more male-boding)

Now I was thinking, why has this changed? Back then the men were real men, hardened warriors and were man enough to engage in coitus with a man and still be regarded a straight man who just helped lift the spirits of his friends.

Because that is before the Bible comes in... that bloody book
Reply 3
aws
OP
Original post by ussumane
Sure, do you want it up the ass? Bromance FTW :ahee:

I don't want to be in the army but I should expand.

The Spartans were more what we would call bi-sexual. They married women, but also had male friends who they bonded with.

I mean being raised from 6 onwards for 10-20 years with men only and homosexuality was approved of.

Look how amazing they were.
Reply 4
aws
OP
Original post by manthew

you're right. The Babylons too were a-ok with gays.
Reply 5
Original post by aws
I don't want to be in the army but I should expand.

The Spartans were more what we would call bi-sexual. They married women, but also had male friends who they bonded with.

I mean being raised from 6 onwards for 10-20 years with men only and homosexuality was approved of.

Look how amazing they were.

Awhile I like the way you think, I'm not ready to "bond" with a male. And don't think I will ever be :s-smilie:

Have some +rep anyways :h:(reached limit, will give you some tomorrow :ninja:)
Reply 6
Original post by aws

Surely they were better warriors because of it? shall we take a lesson from them?

I found this on google answers and thought he or she explained it very well :smile:

The Spartans weren't gay in the sense that we think of it. It was not uncommon in many Greek City States, and in Sparta in particular, for an adult male or warrior to have a younger "companion". The relationship was not just sexual, though it did involve that. It was a mentoring relationship, with the older man expected to provide a role model and see to the younger man's education in how to be a good citizen. Certainly, with the odd situation of fairly late marriages with Spartan men, that there were probably a fair number of gay relationships. The ancient Greeks tended to look at homosexuality differently than we do today. One school of thought is that since women were so inferior, it was impossible for a man to truly love a woman. Thus the only "true love" a man could have would be for another man. But given the fact that marriages were still the norm, it's unlikely that homosexuality was the rule rather than the exception in sexual relationships.
On a side note, look up the Theban Sacred Band. This was a group of elite warriors, 150 pairs of men. The idea behind the Band was that a soldier would fight better if his lover was at his side. Again, this was an unusual arrangement even for the times.
Source - click here.
Reply 7
aws
OP
Original post by Pop_tart
I found this on google answers and thought he or she explained it very well :smile:

The Spartans weren't gay in the sense that we think of it. It was not uncommon in many Greek City States, and in Sparta in particular, for an adult male or warrior to have a younger "companion". The relationship was not just sexual, though it did involve that. It was a mentoring relationship, with the older man expected to provide a role model and see to the younger man's education in how to be a good citizen. Certainly, with the odd situation of fairly late marriages with Spartan men, that there were probably a fair number of gay relationships. The ancient Greeks tended to look at homosexuality differently than we do today. One school of thought is that since women were so inferior, it was impossible for a man to truly love a woman. Thus the only "true love" a man could have would be for another man. But given the fact that marriages were still the norm, it's unlikely that homosexuality was the rule rather than the exception in sexual relationships.
On a side note, look up the Theban Sacred Band. This was a group of elite warriors, 150 pairs of men. The idea behind the Band was that a soldier would fight better if his lover was at his side. Again, this was an unusual arrangement even for the times.
Source - click here.

thanks for providing that :smile:
Reply 8
aws
OP
Original post by ussumane
Awhile I like the way you think, I'm not ready to "bond" with a male. And don't think I will ever be :s-smilie:

Have some +rep anyways :h:(reached limit, will give you some tomorrow :ninja:)

thanks buddy
Original post by aws

+rep by the way.

It's extremely ifficult to explain why and how cultural opinions change. Obviously the Greeks and Romans had a completely different view of homosexuality, and I think that the rise of Christianity was somewhat responsible for the change in opinion of homosexuality, but we can't say for sure how significant a contribution this made.
(edited 13 years ago)
Haha you big bunch of gays, if you want to bum each other in the trenches join the french army, I mean seriously wtf? I'm not a homophobe but gays have no place in the british army! that's just wrong.

Edit: Haha I take it's gay people negging me here or girls who believe I am being unfair. Oh well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
The British Army does not need to copy the Spartans. For a start, we are more successful than they've ever been.
Reply 12
aws
OP
they did. but not in revenge I don't think based on what I've read

it was common place for females to have a female lover.

how things have moved
Reply 13
Lol this thread is so gay.
Reply 14
Original post by mirin?
The British Army does not need to copy the Spartans. For a start, we are more successful than they've ever been.

Are you seriously comparing ancient warfare and modern warfare? I'm sure if the Spartans had access to the technological advancements the British Army uses today then they would be just as successful if not more.
Reply 15
Original post by TheQuickestSilver
Haha you big bunch of gays, if you want to bum each other in the trenches join the french army, I mean seriously wtf? I'm not a homophobe but gays have no place in the british army! that's just wrong.

Contradiction surely. Your attitude is disgusting.
Coitus? Who speaks like that? Are you called Sheldon?
Somebody forward this thread to John McCain. He'd have a few words to say.
Original post by TheQuickestSilver
I'm not a homophobe but gays have no place in the british army! that's just wrong.

Ah the old "I'm not a homophobe but [Insert homophobic comment here]" :holmes:

Anyway you're about 10 years too late I'm afraid.
Reply 19
Original post by manthew

I don't think the bible has to do with it, because Shakespeare was bi apparently, as well as a lot of other people living in that era.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending