The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Dropping out of a course part way through?

I'm doing B204 at the moment and finding it very difficult and boring - I got full financial support and a course grant - if I drop out of the course, do I need to pay the OU anything back? It started in October and ends next June, but I'm really struggling with the course and if I continue I doubt I'd even get a pass grade!

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by aimeelala
I'm doing B204 at the moment and finding it very difficult and boring - I got full financial support and a course grant - if I drop out of the course, do I need to pay the OU anything back? It started in October and ends next June, but I'm really struggling with the course and if I continue I doubt I'd even get a pass grade!

Thanks in advance!

Afternoon,

You won't have to pay anything back :smile:

As I understand it, because it's a level 2 course and you're beyond 21 days since the course start, there is no partial refund. (Page 11, table A at the bottom)

However if you choose to replace the course with another within 18 months, because you're within the first 1/3 of the course, you'll get a 60% discount on your next one. (Page 12, table B)

If you want to try to carry on, you can always contact your tutor for assistance, or call the OU on 0845 300 60 90 for assistance or advice.

If you decide to drop it though, don't sweat it. I dropped T211 and took myself on a completely different route. Dropping it felt a bit crap, but I'm glad I did as I'm really enjoying my chosen alternatives.

Good luck :cool:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Moggs
Afternoon,

You won't have to pay anything back :smile:

As I understand it, because it's a level 2 course and you're beyond 21 days since the course start, there is no partial refund. (Page 11, table A at the bottom)

However if you choose to replace the course with another within 18 months, because you're within the first 1/3 of the course, you'll get a 60% discount on your next one. (Page 12, table B)

If you want to try to carry on, you can always contact your tutor for assistance, or call the OU on 0845 300 60 90 for assistance or advice.

If you decide to drop it though, don't sweat it. I dropped T211 and took myself on a completely different route. Dropping it felt a bit crap, but I'm glad I did as I'm really enjoying my chosen alternatives.

Good luck :cool:

Thanks, that's made me feel better about dropping the course! Relieved I don't have to pay anything back, and it's good that I might get a discount on my next course. :biggrin:
Original post by aimeelala
Thanks, that's made me feel better about dropping the course! Relieved I don't have to pay anything back, and it's good that I might get a discount on my next course. :biggrin:

I've dropped a couple of courses in my time with the OU: I agree with Moggs, it does feel a bit crap at the time, but at least it allows you to do something else more in line with your interests, so don't feel bad about it :smile:
I'm drpping out of A207 after having a massive discussion with my tutor we both decided that it would be for the best, I still need to ring them up about it though. I feel rubbish about it because I was enjoying the content on the course, but I just couldn't express it through the writing in the TMAs.

Is there a way to drop out without phoning up? I always seem to get confused when I ring up.

I'm starting A200 in Febuary and it is lloking like a much better choice for me personally, I just recieved the course books and it sound really interesting. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by twinkle.twinkle
Is there a way to drop out without phoning up? I always seem to get confused when I ring up.

Not that I know of, though the call is pretty straight forward.

What can I help with?
What's your PI?
Would you like to talk to someone to get advice?
What's the reason you're dropping the course?

Then they'll send you a feedback form that's entirely optional.

It'd be good to come up with a short sharp answer to question 4. I spent some time describing why I was dropping it but the woman on the other just paused and said 'ok.. course content not as expected'. It sounded a lot like she was wanting to tick the relevant box rather than any details.
Original post by Moggs
Not that I know of, though the call is pretty straight forward.

What can I help with?
What's your PI?
Would you like to talk to someone to get advice?
What's the reason you're dropping the course?

Then they'll send you a feedback form that's entirely optional.

It'd be good to come up with a short sharp answer to question 4. I spent some time describing why I was dropping it but the woman on the other just paused and said 'ok.. course content not as expected'. It sounded a lot like she was wanting to tick the relevant box rather than any details.

Wow, that seems so inpersonal. I would be a little mad if that happened to me. Are you best off ringing your regional centre or someone else.
Reply 7
Wow, that seems so inpersonal. I would be a little mad if that happened to me. Are you best off ringing your regional centre or someone else.

It sounds a lot worse because of the way I wrote the questions :tongue: I just called them up on the number in the second post. That did the trick.

You can do it by email, but you might have to wait a while for a response. Phone's much more efficient though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending