The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

"Informal" Interview...?!?

I got a letter from Southampton uni today saying about a visit day, which includes an "informal interview"
I have no idea what this is going to involve! what do I wear? will it be a group interview? how do they work?

I would reallyy appreciate any advice about this! I feel totally out of my depth and have no idea what to expect from the day :redface:
Reply 1
bump?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
May depend on your course but I think some courses will have a one to one interview but if anything it's more to gauge how interested you are in case you don't meet the offer grades.

There's a fair chance that by being invited to a visit day and informal interview the uni is going to give you an offer.

In terms of what to wear it's unlikely to matter that much. I'd probably suggest something along the lines of smart casual.
Reply 3
Original post by mfaxford
May depend on your course but I think some courses will have a one to one interview but if anything it's more to gauge how interested you are in case you don't meet the offer grades.

There's a fair chance that by being invited to a visit day and informal interview the uni is going to give you an offer.

In terms of what to wear it's unlikely to matter that much. I'd probably suggest something along the lines of smart casual.

Ive read the information about it now, its a "20 minute one on one chat with an academic supervisor".. Im so scared! I dont know how "informal" its going to be..
Reply 4
for computer science two years ago it was basically just 5 minutes one-to-one with a member of staff (incidentally the guy who interviewed me became my tutor). questions were pretty basic "why do you want to come to Soton? Why computer sicence? What sort of career prospects do you have?" etc. nothing technical

in regards to clothing everyone in my group were pretty casual - i.e. jeans and tshirt
I had one at Lancaster. It was just a very casual chat with a member of staff. Pretty much exactly what I did at the open day anyway...
Reply 6
Original post by buyingtheticket
I had one at Lancaster. It was just a very casual chat with a member of staff. Pretty much exactly what I did at the open day anyway...

what did you wear??
Original post by -kit-kat-
what did you wear??

Ummmm...I'm not sure, a hoody and jeans I think.
Reply 8
Original post by -kit-kat-
I got a letter from Southampton uni today saying about a visit day, which includes an "informal interview"
I have no idea what this is going to involve! what do I wear? will it be a group interview? how do they work?

I would reallyy appreciate any advice about this! I feel totally out of my depth and have no idea what to expect from the day :redface:

I had an informal interview at bristol for chemistry, don't know what yours is for but i guess they follow the same principle. Most people just wore smart clothes. Not really smart but smart enough. I.e polo shirt/shirt, smart jumper/sweater, smart trousers/smart jeans. Girls just whatever the girls equivalent is to those? Lol.

The guy who spoke to me was a legend, he just went through my personal statement and asked about the stuff I'd put down, about chemistry and also other stuff which I never thought they would be interested in! Was really relaxed and friendly, and we all had a little tour around afterwards. Also, one of the undergraduates around to answer questions said pretty much all of us that get invited for the informal interview were going to get offers which was reassuring.
Reply 9
Original post by moxeyy
I had an informal interview at bristol for chemistry, don't know what yours is for but i guess they follow the same principle. Most people just wore smart clothes. Not really smart but smart enough. I.e polo shirt/shirt, smart jumper/sweater, smart trousers/smart jeans. Girls just whatever the girls equivalent is to those? Lol.

The guy who spoke to me was a legend, he just went through my personal statement and asked about the stuff I'd put down, about chemistry and also other stuff which I never thought they would be interested in! Was really relaxed and friendly, and we all had a little tour around afterwards. Also, one of the undergraduates around to answer questions said pretty much all of us that get invited for the informal interview were going to get offers which was reassuring.

thanks :smile: my southampton one was like that too - he told me at the start of the interview I would be getting an offer of ABB which was kind of weird :rolleyes:
I've got another interview soon, but it doesnt actually say "informal" >< I have know I idea what to expect!

Well done for your interview/offer though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending