The Student Room Group

Alcohol after metronidazole

On Wednesday, I was prescribed, for a gum infection, a course of 3 200mg doses of metronidazole for 3 days. I took the last tablet at 10am this morning. My dentist said that I should be able to drink on Saturday, and by this I presumed he meant the evening.

However, most of the information I found online states that it is best to wait 48 hours after the last dose before drinking, though in most cases this supposes a 7-day course. Does the length of the course affect the advised waiting time? I imagine it doesn't.

Has anyone had any adverse reactions to drinking, say, 10-12 hours after taking a last dose? I am hosting a dinner this evening, and the inability to drink would not only affect what's in my glass, but also whether or not I can have sloe gin sorbet, wine-based gravy, and brandy Christmas pudding ie a significant proportion of the meal.

Thank you.
Original post by Edenr
On Wednesday, I was prescribed, for a gum infection, a course of 3 200mg doses of metronidazole for 3 days. I took the last tablet at 10am this morning. My dentist said that I should be able to drink on Saturday, and by this I presumed he meant the evening.

However, most of the information I found online states that it is best to wait 48 hours after the last dose before drinking, though in most cases this supposes a 7-day course. Does the length of the course affect the advised waiting time? I imagine it doesn't.

Has anyone had any adverse reactions to drinking, say, 10-12 hours after taking a last dose? I am hosting a dinner this evening, and the inability to drink would not only affect what's in my glass, but also whether or not I can have sloe gin sorbet, wine-based gravy, and brandy Christmas pudding ie a significant proportion of the meal.

Thank you.

Do not drink alcohol or you'll be vomiting like a trooper.
A little alcohol in sauce however will make no difference
Reply 2
Original post by Jamie
Do not drink alcohol or you'll be vomiting like a trooper.
A little alcohol in sauce however will make no difference

Would you recommend I wait 48 hours before drinking?
Original post by Edenr
Would you recommend I wait 48 hours before drinking?

yup
Any in the system and you'll be tres sick.
Reply 4
Just an update: a glass of wine, shot of rum, two shots of unknown spirit, a glass of brandy and a glass of whisky (consumed approximately 12 hours after finishing the course) produced no unpleasantness.

I shall see how I am in the morning. I suffered no side-effects whilst on the medication, so maybe that was an indicator that consuming alcohol after finishing the course would be unlikely to affect me either. I guess I'm just lucky.
Reply 5
yesterday i was prescribed metronidazole for 5 days i have only took 2 yesterday and two today my last one was about a hour and a half ago i was wondering if it would b ok to hav a drink or 2 tonite if i could hav a reply asap it would b great?thank u
Reply 6
Nooooo , it can react very badly with alcohol- nausea, vomiting, increased heart rate. You need to wait until it's out of your system. You also need to take the medicine properly or you might as well not bother- if you don't take the doses when you're meant to it can kill off the weak bacteria (or fungi) and leave the resistant stronger ones, which will be a bugger to get rid of.
I finished my course on wednesday, drank yesterday and I am fine, i was sick after but i tend to puke after drinking sometimes lol so nothing major but i did feel my herat beat abit fast but not sure if that was me being paranoid.
I have been prescribed a four day course of metronidazole, I started my tablets on Wednesday, when can i start drinking alcohol
Original post by Edenr

Thank you.

your dentist misinformed you .avoid alcohol when on metronidazole
Original post by quasa
your dentist misinformed you .avoid alcohol when on metronidazole

I'm sure the eight year wait for this advice was well worth it for the OP :tongue:
Original post by moonkatt
I'm sure the eight year wait for this advice was well worth it for the OP :tongue:

blimey, did not see the date :lol: (going to alert a mod to close the thread as it was being promoted despite being 8 years old)

Latest