The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey people, what phone do you recommend for an Android newcomer (I do like the OS, but currently have an iPhone 3G)? I was thinking of the Galaxy S but I'm not sure what's best. :smile:

Original post by G8D
Galaxy S/Nexus S are the best phones currently (or soon to be) on the market.
But the Desire/Desire HD are also good contenders, and they look ****ing amazing.

Could you recommend the best deal on the Galaxy S? I'm not bothered about minutes tbh, just having a fair few texts and a good amount of internet data. My prefered networks are O2/Tesco Mobile... and I don't mind whether I get contract or PAYG, whatever works out cheaper over about 2 years. :smile:

Thanks. ;D
Reply 2742
What do you guys think of the android os?
Might get an android phone:smile:
Original post by ethiokid

Original post by ethiokid
What do you guys think of the android os?
Might get an android phone:smile:

It's just soo much freedom and I've only had the phone for a few day, I've not even rooted it yet. If you want someone to hold your hand then get IOS if you like the freedom to truly customise your phone to exactly what you want then Android all the way.
Reply 2744
Original post by bigmo7
I don't actually think I've had a worse day with my phone than today :sigh: Had to revert back to RFS for the file system to update the kernel and I ended up not being able to get rid of it! Thankfully I managed it now though....

On that point I wonder if the Nexus S will have RFS as it's file system or maybe Samsung cottoned on to the fact that it just fails :rolleyes:

Assuming you have a Galaxy S you can do the lagfix and disbale RFS and make them all Ext 4
Reply 2745
Original post by addylad
Hey people, what phone do you recommend for an Android newcomer (I do like the OS, but currently have an iPhone 3G)? I was thinking of the Galaxy S but I'm not sure what's best. :smile:

Defo an amazing phone! :sogood:

Original post by mcp2
Assuming you have a Galaxy S you can do the lagfix and disbale RFS and make them all Ext 4

I'm on ext2 atm, not bothered with 4 cos apparently 2 is the best all round? I like it anyway, it's a lot faster than the stock kernel and filesystem. But still you shouldn't have to change it, Samsung made a pretty big mistake having it as rfs tbf.
Reply 2746
Original post by addylad
Could you recommend the best deal on the Galaxy S? I'm not bothered about minutes tbh, just having a fair few texts and a good amount of internet data. My prefered networks are O2/Tesco Mobile... and I don't mind whether I get contract or PAYG, whatever works out cheaper over about 2 years. :smile:

Thanks. ;D

Depends tbh, I got the £10 a month contract Tesco contract and bought the phone separately and overall it works out at around £22,50 per month which I'm more than happy with.
Guys what apps should I defo have for my phone?
Original post by adrenaline1989

Original post by adrenaline1989
Guys what apps should I defo have for my phone?

Angry birds, OS monitor and battery status.
I love abduction, even purchased it lol
Reply 2750
I didn't realise quite how much Titanium backup is a lifesaver :sogood:

There's quite a few Gingerbread themes already for the SGS...looks pretty sexual :sexface:
Original post by bigmo7

Original post by bigmo7
I didn't realise quite how much Titanium backup is a lifesaver :sogood:

There's quite a few Gingerbread themes already for the SGS...looks pretty sexual :sexface:

Why is it a life saver?
Reply 2752
Original post by yoyo462001
Why is it a life saver?

I was flashing my kernel and it wiped all my programmes (I never learn) and the save data, I managed to reinstall them all pretty easily through it. I had to flash the fw twice last night as well so it kept all my programs through that too...probably the most useful program I've got on the phone atm. Just gotta make sure not to restore stuff like system data after a flash cos it can cause all sorts of problems :colondollar:
Original post by bigmo7
I was flashing my kernel and it wiped all my programmes (I never learn) and the save data, I managed to reinstall them all pretty easily through it. I had to flash the fw twice last night as well so it kept all my programs through that too...probably the most useful program I've got on the phone atm. Just gotta make sure not to restore stuff like system data after a flash cos it can cause all sorts of problems :colondollar:

Titanium is the *******s.
I think there is a setting somewhere (maybe on the paid version only) where it will automatically restore stuff.

Anyway, I paid for it to support the developer. The paid one loads quicker and it has a few more features. The free one is awesome enough.

Another couple of contact apps I've installed:
Group SMS -- SMS groups that you created in Gmail. Very handy when you wanna SMS the whole football team for a meet. Android should have this is standard-- why let you create groups but not use them?
Contacto's - useful for non-HTC phones that won't let you send contact details via SMS. Does exactly what it says but again, stupid Android should have this as standard.

Handscent is pretty good, very customisable, although I find it misses the odd notification. I dont know why. If you're happy with the stock Android message service (like me), then SMS Popup is a good addition. It let's you tinker with notification settings (lights, reminders, length of vibration, privacy etc)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2754
Original post by silent ninja
Titanium is the *******s.
I think there is a setting somewhere (maybe on the paid version only) where it will automatically restore stuff.

Anyway, I paid for it to support the developer. The paid one loads quicker and it has a few more features. The free one is awesome enough.

I'm thinking about paying for it too for the auto restore feature, it's a pain to have to restore 60 apps let alone 100's....especially now that there seems to be a new ROM leaked every other day...
Engadget have reviewed the Nexus S.
So overall impression is: best Android phone out there but a little underwhelming (considering the hype toward Gingerbread and upcoming dual core phones).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2756
Original post by silent ninja
Engadget have reviewed the Nexus S.
So overall impression is: best Android phone out there but a little underwhelming (considering the hype toward Gingerbread and upcoming dual core phones).

Tbf though Gingerbread wasn't that big a step up from Froyo...

Honeycomb is where it's at at :cool:
To be honest it doesn't really push the boundaries of the mobile phone space. I was waiting for it, but I'm so impressed with my desire hd that it wouldn't be worthpaying extra for the nexus s. Gingerbread will hopefully come to CM soon.
Reply 2758
The Nexus S is actually pretty expensive though, hm. Really not a fan of a 24 month contract, probably works out far cheaper for SimOnly + buy the phone outright, but don't have that kind of money outright.
Reply 2759
Original post by yoyo462001
To be honest it doesn't really push the boundaries of the mobile phone space. I was waiting for it, but I'm so impressed with my desire hd that it wouldn't be worthpaying extra for the nexus s. Gingerbread will hopefully come to CM soon.

Have you kept stock fw or have you started playing around with it yet?

Btw on a different note, hows hunting for a placement going?

Latest

Trending

Trending