The Student Room Group

Want to lose weight before uni so i can look nice.

I'm a bit chubby I guess..Not too much, but I don't like how i look. Also, as i want to go clubbing in uni, and i dont think people wear jeans in clubs ..I want to look nice in a dress! atm, I'd have my stomach sticking out if i wore one, and chubby thighs which i don't like :frown: I want to lose 2 stones before I go university..:/

This si what i ate so far, this week, its not very good, but i would usually just eat snacks and alot of unhealthy food.
monday :Porridge, chips, banana, oranges, apple, dinner
Tuesday 7th December:
Porridge, oranges, stir fry, banana, coffee, baked patato x 2 and beans with cheese, coke, bread
Wednesday:
Banana, chicken wings, rice and dal, bagel, coffee, oranges, sandwich
Thursday: porridge, rice and lentils (im indian ), pasta and garlic bread.
Friday: porridge, chocolate bar, bacon bun, popcorn and slush (went cinema), then chickpeas… o.o some bread.

today: I woke up at 4.... so, a banana and porridge

I exercise aout 10-30 minutes weekdays and 10- 15 on weekends..
I can't choose what i eat for dinner because my mum makes it. However, i have control over what i eat for breakfast and lunch.

I just want to lose weight, by june for my birthday.
I've started to eat fruit everytime i feel hungry, e.g. for snacks..
I drink more water too, but not enough, so that is something i will have to work on.

This week, i really havn't 'pigged out' as i usually would've done, ut i fear that i won't lose anything out of this...

Anything else i can do? teh chips and chicken wings - i say are an exception as i was very hungry and there are only fast food shops near school! lol next time, i'll just choose fruit

What else can i do to lose weight, can people please share their experiences..

I don't have any time to go gym, due to exams, but have time to go for walks. i iam to eat 6 meals a day, my doctor said that would help me lose weight, i eat the 3 regular ,meals and then i have fruit or water when i feel peckish.

I hate how i look everytime i go to a changing room and look in the mirror, i feel sick everytime i know i'm putting calories on by eating junk food. I don't feel that i will be eating alot and stuffing my face as i used to, because i'm scared i'd be the only chubby one there at uni.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tell your mum you'd like to get healthier and make sure she makes healthy food (lean meats etc) and gives you smaller portions.
Personally I find it easier to cut out foods (such as chocolate) entirely when I want to lose weight, others say that you should have a small amount rather than none at all because none at all makes you crave and then you are more likely to binge.
Don't let yourself think that "healthy eating" has to be boring. There are loads of lovely things that you can eat that are healthy, it's not all carrot sticks and apples.
A banana for breakfast is good, as is porridge, (though perhaps not both unless you will be doing a lot of exercise).
Eat some fruit about half way between breakfast and lunch.
For lunch just use common sense. Don't put a pound of butter in a sandwich, don't go crazy with the cheese etc. If you like marmite, I find that really useful- the taste is lush and it puts me off buying a muffin or whatever because after the marmite flavour I don't feel like it.

Other than that, walk as much as you can, get off the bus a stop early or whatever. You don't need to go to a gym to lose weight, it's just how some people prefer to exercise. Personally I find them mind-numbing so I play team sports and cycle.
It's likely that you will get hungry whilst on your healthy eating plan, so make sure you always have a snack on you, whether it be a cereal bar (not the best choice, but an easy low-in kcal snack, despite the sugar) or a piece of fruit. Crackers are ACE for this sort of thing I find.
And g'luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Captain92
Tell your mum you'd like to get healthier and make sure she makes healthy food (lean meats etc) and gives you smaller portions.
Personally I find it easier to cut out foods (such as chocolate) entirely when I want to lose weight, others say that you should have a small amount rather than none at all because none at all makes you crave and then you are more likely to binge.
Don't let yourself think that "healthy eating" has to be boring. There are loads of lovely things that you can eat that are healthy, it's not all carrot sticks and apples.
A banana for breakfast is good, as is porridge, (though perhaps not both unless you will be doing a lot of exercise).
Eat some fruit about half way between breakfast and lunch.
For lunch just use common sense. Don't put a pound of butter in a sandwich, don't go crazy with the cheese etc. If you like marmite, I find that really useful- the taste is lush and it puts me off buying a muffin or whatever because after the marmite flavour I don't feel like it.

Other than that, walk as much as you can, get off the bus a stop early or whatever. You don't need to go to a gym to lose weight, it's just how some people prefer to exercise. Personally I find them mind-numbing so I play team sports and cycle.
It's likely that you will get hungry whilst on your healthy eating plan, so make sure you always have a snack on you, whether it be a cereal bar (not the best choice, but an easy low-in kcal snack, despite the sugar) or a piece of fruit. Crackers are ACE for this sort of thing I find.
And g'luck! :smile:

Thank you :smile:! I'm hoping i do lose weight in addition to passing my As resits lol But i'm just scared neither of those will happen!
Reply 3
Recently a experiment about food and health was completed. It was the largest of its kind in history and recommended that portion size is practically irrelevant. The issue is what you eat, not how much you eat.

For example, you can eat tonnes of healthy food and it won't matter, but if you eat the wrong food, even a small amount will get you.

In short, eat lots of fruit and veg, lean meats, cold pasta, etc and don't calorie count -_-

That aside, exercise is always the most important thing. I personally have taken up doing 30 minutes on a cycle machine whilst watching the Daily Politics :tongue: I find it best to mix exercise with something else such as watching TV.
Reply 4
Original post by helpneeded-a
Thank you :smile:! I'm hoping i do lose weight in addition to passing my As resits lol But i'm just scared neither of those will happen!

Think positively!
There are 3500calories in one pound of fat (and 2.2lbs to a kg)
If you burn 500kcals a day, you'll lose 1lb a week :smile:
Walking for an hour burns around 200kcals.
You can get savvy with all the calories in food if you wish to, and try to keep just under/around 1500kcals a day, but you can still get results just by eating healthily and not knowing exactly how many grams of fat are in a chip or whatever.
The BBC and NHS most likely have some good advice and web links for advice about this sort of thing :smile:
A better and easier solution would be to not care so much about what you look like.
Reply 6
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
A better and easier solution would be to not care so much about what you look like.

If it#s depressing me, i think me caring and doing something about it shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 7

stfu

OP you need to go to a gym and lift weights, full body routine 3x a week. then eat a calorie deficit... IE eat less calories than your body burns. high protein, low carb. lifting weights + eating high protein maintains muscle mass so that you only burn fat. you dont want to be losing both muscle and fat
Original post by Teaddict
Recently a experiment about food and health was completed. It was the largest of its kind in history and recommended that portion size is practically irrelevant. The issue is what you eat, not how much you eat.

For example, you can eat tonnes of healthy food and it won't matter, but if you eat the wrong food, even a small amount will get you.

Do you have a source? Sounds like utter bollcks to me.
Reply 9
Original post by Double Agent
Do you have a source? Sounds like utter bollcks to me.

Sure give me a minute to find it.

If it#s depressing me, i think me caring and doing something about it shouldn't be a problem.

Vanity.
Vanity.

But, i can't be vain..I need to be good looking inorder for me to be vain! i am acually overweight lol so...

Do you go to kent?
(edited 13 years ago)

But, i can't be vain..I need to be good looking inorder for me to be vain! i am acually overweight lol so...

In this sense, you appear to be aiming as much as you can to be pride-worthy of how you look.
Reply 13
I'm a bit chubby I guess..Not too much, but I don't like how i look. Also, as i want to go clubbing in uni, and i dont think people wear jeans in clubs ..I want to look nice in a dress! atm, I'd have my stomach sticking out if i wore one, and chubby thighs which i don't like :frown: I want to lose 2 stones before I go university..:/

This si what i ate so far, this week, its not very good, but i would usually just eat snacks and alot of unhealthy food.
monday :Porridge, chips, banana, oranges, apple, dinner
Tuesday 7th December:
Porridge, oranges, stir fry, banana, coffee, baked patato x 2 and beans with cheese, coke, bread
Wednesday:
Banana, chicken wings, rice and dal, bagel, coffee, oranges, sandwich
Thursday: porridge, rice and lentils (im indian ), pasta and garlic bread.
Friday: porridge, chocolate bar, bacon bun, popcorn and slush (went cinema), then chickpeas… o.o some bread.

today: I woke up at 4.... so, a banana and porridge

I exercise aout 10-30 minutes weekdays and 10- 15 on weekends..
I can't choose what i eat for dinner because my mum makes it. However, i have control over what i eat for breakfast and lunch.

I just want to lose weight, by june for my birthday.
I've started to eat fruit everytime i feel hungry, e.g. for snacks..
I drink more water too, but not enough, so that is something i will have to work on.

This week, i really havn't 'pigged out' as i usually would've done, ut i fear that i won't lose anything out of this...

Anything else i can do? teh chips and chicken wings - i say are an exception as i was very hungry and there are only fast food shops near school! lol next time, i'll just choose fruit

What else can i do to lose weight, can people please share their experiences..

I don't have any time to go gym, due to exams, but have time to go for walks. i iam to eat 6 meals a day, my doctor said that would help me lose weight, i eat the 3 regular ,meals and then i have fruit or water when i feel peckish.

I hate how i look everytime i go to a changing room and look in the mirror, i feel sick everytime i know i'm putting calories on by eating junk food. I don't feel that i will be eating alot and stuffing my face as i used to, because i'm scared i'd be the only chubby one there at uni.

When having your evening meals just go for a smaller portion. e.g. just have pasta without garlic bread as all you are doing is adding extra carbs to your meal. And when having a jacket potato just have one :smile:
When i went from school to college i decided to loose weight and the best advice is to stick to 3 normal sized meals per day and don't snack. If you NEED to eat then choose fruit or a healthy option like raisins and nuts. To begin with it might be very difficult but after a couple of weeks you stomache will have shrunk and you will feel less hungry less often:biggrin:
good luck xxx
Reply 14
Hmm I cannot seem to find it right now.

I read it on the Telegraph online a week or two ago. It said that scientists had discovered that how much you eat isn't the issue, its what you eat.
It's ok to be chubby, and chubby girls are :love:

Don't lose weight, just wear better clothes :yes:
In addiction to the advice given above, make sure you do at least 30 minutes of exercise (so that you are out of breath) 3-5 times each week, but also make sure its spread out so you have time to recover inbetween. Aim for mainly cardio and NEVER eat before exercising, only after!
Reply 17
Vanity.

What's wrong with trying to improve yourself?
Reply 18
Original post by Loz17
In addiction to the advice given above, make sure you do at least 30 minutes of exercise (so that you are out of breath) 3-5 times each week, but also make sure its spread out so you have time to recover inbetween. Aim for mainly cardio and NEVER eat before exercising, only after!

wrong

ITT terrible advice
Original post by Loz17

:frown: But i ate grapes, an di wanted to do dancing..

:frown:

Quick Reply