The Student Room Group

Lying to rectify a previous lie?

Okay, say you told a lie and quite a big one at that. You completely regret it. But it's done; you can't go back and change that fact. Obviously, in an ideal world you'd be able to just simply say, "hands up, I lied. This is the truth...' but say there's no way you can come out with the truth either so just confessing the initial lie to be a lie isn't an option.

And then assume, that you can tell this other lie, equally as big, but one that can completely rectify the previous lie and pummel it into non-existence so essentially setting situation to normal mode again - making it as if lie number one was never even told.

Is it wrong to lie to rectify a previous lie? Opinions?
depends on the situation, people involved, whether anyone was hurt by these lies etc etc.....
Reply 2
Original post by I love shopping
depends on the situation, people involved, whether anyone was hurt by these lies etc etc.....

Hm, na don't think along the lines of the lie being hurtful. To give a made up example for context purposes.. something like, making up a fake relative for whatever reason and then not wanting to constantly keep up that lie so bailing out instead by making them move somewhere abroad.

That's the sort of thing, I mean. So you can see it's nothing to do with hurting feelings or anything. It's just that the second lie sort of elimiates the first lie or atleast makes it irrelevant.
Reply 3
Original post by Preeka
Hm, na don't think along the lines of the lie being hurtful. To give a made up example for context purposes.. something like, making up a fake relative for whatever reason and then not wanting to constantly keep up that lie so bailing out instead by making them move somewhere abroad.

That's the sort of thing, I mean. So you can see it's nothing to do with hurting feelings or anything. It's just that the second lie sort of elimiates the first lie or atleast makes it irrelevant.

just tell us the damn story

and in short the old line of;

one lie turns into 100 lies applies here.
Original post by Preeka

hmm it doesn't sound too bad then. But then why would you tell lies that in the first place??:confused:
Reply 5
Original post by I love shopping
hmm it doesn't sound too bad then. But then why would you tell lies that in the first place??:confused:

That was just an example. Point is, you wouldn't but shyt happens and you find yourself in weird situations.

it started out with the little fish at the end(the first lie) each time you tell another lie it eats eaten by the next size up of fish. Until uou havent got any more fish left and it eats you.

Do you see the problem with lying now?
Reply 7
Original post by Phillipsherman

it started out with the little fish at the end(the first lie) each time you tell another lie it eats eaten by the next size up of fish. Until uou havent got any more fish left and it eats you.

Do you see the problem with lying now?

I do which is why I am reluctant about the whole lying to abolish a previous lie concept. Is it incredibly unlikely for there to only be two fish? The bigger fish that eats the smaller fish and then lives happily ever after without the need for a bigger fish to eat it. Ideally, there'd be no fish (no lie) except can't change that now.
Original post by Preeka
I do which is why I am reluctant about the whole lying to abolish a previous lie concept. Is it incredibly unlikely for there to only be two fish? The bigger fish that eats the smaller fish and then lives happily ever after without the need for a bigger fish to eat it. Ideally, there'd be no fish (no lie) except can't change that now.

IMO it depends entirely on whether you're lying to someone you love or not. If you don't, then you can releive your guilt and you won't feel as bad for doing it. I wouldn't keep lying to a loved one though, guilt would probably eat you up.
Reply 9
the phrase digging yourself a hole comes to mind, if ever the bunch of lies is found out you'll be worse off. However..sometimes it is the only way to handle something, if you really cannot admit to your original lie then obviously you'll have to lie again, just be very careful to keep your story straight and be prepared for things to be worse then if you just admitted your lie in the first place if it all goes wrong.
Reply 10
Usually comes out in the end tbh, not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending