The Student Room Group

Part-time workers when do you ask for reference to your employer?

When and how did you do it?
Reply 1
How did you do it?
Either when you are leaving. Ask someone who you have worked for (and hopefully impressed) if they would be a referee for you, and take an email address and phone number for them, so that you can contact them when you are actually asked for a reference.

Or, once you have left. Contact your previous company and ask for a reference.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Either when you are leaving. Ask someone who you have worked for (and hopefully impressed) if they would be a referee for you, and take an email address and phone number for them, so that you can contact them when you are actually asked for a reference.

Or, once you have left. Contact your previous company and ask for a reference.

Thanks for your response.:smile:
What if they don't want to? I mean how can I proof to a new employer that I worked there? Also, what if they accept my request for reference and talk bad about me? An a last question, wouldn't the old employer upset at you because you leave work? Would they be willing to be as reference? If I only work during the probation period and then I leave, could I ask them for reference? And something else, could I add working on probation period as experience on a cv?
Sorry for the many answers,
Thank you,
:wink:
Original post by SoulfulBoy

What if they don't want to?

Then they don't have to, that's why you ask first.

I mean how can I proof to a new employer that I worked there?

Pay statements? An employer is unlikely to ask for 'proof'. They interview you, if you can't discuss the work, you probably haven't worked there, if you can, you probably have.

Also, what if they accept my request for reference and talk bad about me?

They are obliged to be truthful in a reference. So if you have been late, been subject to any disciplinary action, been fired etc then they are obliged to say so - so don't ask them for a reference.

An a last question, wouldn't the old employer upset at you because you leave work? Would they be willing to be as reference?

They might be upset, it depends on the circumstances. It's a grown up world you're in - if you're messing them around, they won't be happy, if it's just a natural career progression, they might be very happy for you. If you've been a good worker, they might be happy to give you a good reference.

If I only work during the probation period and then I leave, could I ask them for reference?

You could do, but hiring people is expensive, time consuming and risky for an employer. Leaving immediately after your probationary period probably won't be very popular. That doesn't mean they won't give you a reference, but you know how good they think your work has been. They will probably mention that you left immediately after your probationary period, which is a fact they are allowed to mention - that won't look good unless you have a reason like moving away to uni.

And something else, could I add working on probation period as experience on a cv?

Yes.
Reply 5
Then they don't have to, that's why you ask first.

Pay statements? An employer is unlikely to ask for 'proof'. They interview you, if you can't discuss the work, you probably haven't worked there, if you can, you probably have.

They are obliged to be truthful in a reference. So if you have been late, been subject to any disciplinary action, been fired etc then they are obliged to say so - so don't ask them for a reference.

They might be upset, it depends on the circumstances. It's a grown up world you're in - if you're messing them around, they won't be happy, if it's just a natural career progression, they might be very happy for you. If you've been a good worker, they might be happy to give you a good reference.

You could do, but hiring people is expensive, time consuming and risky for an employer. Leaving immediately after your probationary period probably won't be very popular. That doesn't mean they won't give you a reference, but you know how good they think your work has been. They will probably mention that you left immediately after your probationary period, which is a fact they are allowed to mention - that won't look good unless you have a reason like moving away to uni.

Yes.

Thank you so much, lovely user.:colondollar:
I'm planning to leave my work. I'm still in a probation period, will I get paid the time I worked there?
Thank you so much, lovely user.:colondollar:
I'm planning to leave my work. I'm still in a probation period, will I get paid the time I worked there?

Yes. You've done the work, so you will get paid.
Reply 7

Thank you so much. :colondollar: I will have to invite you to some drinks...:wink:
Reply 8

I'm in my probation period and I leave it today. Should I call them explaining it or just call them and tell I'm not gonna come?:smile:
I'm in my probation period and I leave it today. Should I call them explaining it or just call them and tell I'm not gonna come?:smile:

What did it say in your contract about leaving? You should really tell them face to face, and then give them a letter. You may not want to continue to work there, but you probably want a reference from them. In which case, you should make your departure as easy as possible for them. Sounds like it is too late now though. Don't expect a reference if you just walked out and didn't come back.
Reply 10
What did it say in your contract about leaving? You should really tell them face to face, and then give them a letter. You may not want to continue to work there, but you probably want a reference from them. In which case, you should make your departure as easy as possible for them. Sounds like it is too late now though. Don't expect a reference if you just walked out and didn't come back.

They refused to make me contract after the probation period. They sent me an email telling me the position and pounds per hour and that I would work 1 month on probation and I answered that yes. Anyway, they were not very considerate and I have my doubts that they would. They lack organisation, thye don't tell me things that I should know regarding my job, they make contradictory orders and the lack of equipment stops me from doing my job more efficiently.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending