The Student Room Group

People who missed their uni offer but got in anyway...

Do any of you feel like you shouldn't be there? I missed my firm offer but for some reason I was let in anyway, and I always wonder why :erm: I sometimes feel like the place could've gone to somebody more deserving or that I'm not up to the standard of those around me :o:

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I think they let you in for a reason. Just because sme people have good grades, or higher grades than you in A-lvels, doesn't mean the place should've gone to them.
You could've showed passion in personal statement?
Reply 2
Original post by helpneeded-a
I think they let you in for a reason. Just because sme people have good grades, or higher grades than you in A-lvels, doesn't mean the place should've gone to them.
You could've showed passion in personal statement?

Maybe. I guess grades aren't the only thing :smile: I'm just having one of those 'why does anybody want me' moments I think :sad:
Original post by ily_em
Maybe. I guess grades aren't the only thing :smile: I'm just having one of those 'why does anybody want me' moments I think :sad:

aww stop it, it wont help you. You should feel guilty if you're thinking of dropping the course. Otherwise think of Barney (from How I met yourmother..) "When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead!" ey? If it doesn't work talk it out with a friend :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MizzCupcakes
aww stop it, it wont help you. You should feel guilty if you're thinking of dropping the course. Otherwise think of Barney (from How I met yourmother..) "When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead!" ey? If it doesn't work talk it out with a friend :smile:

OK. I am :awesome:

:ninja:
Original post by ily_em

:smile: Lol..I saw your grades too, I think it's pretty evident why they let you in. Not everyone can get Six A-levels at A's and B's!
Original post by ily_em

I'm exactly like this I always have those moments, Im so unconfident and unsure of myself :frown:
Reply 7
i missed out by 2 marks :frown:- worse, they said yes & took it back after level results
Reply 8
Original post by helpneeded-a
:smile: Lol..I saw your grades too, I think it's pretty evident why they let you in. Not everyone can get Six A-levels at A's and B's!

One was critical thinking, the other extended project. I got ABBB in reality
Original post by ily_em
Do any of you feel like you shouldn't be there? I missed my firm offer but for some reason I was let in anyway, and I always wonder why :erm: I sometimes feel like the place could've gone to somebody more deserving or that I'm not up to the standard of those around me :o:

What do you think?

It's not exactly the same situation, because I applied through Clearing so wasn't allowed in anyway ... but I didn't really meet their standard entry requirements, so obviously had something else about me that made them accept.

However, I know what you mean; I spent my entire first year thinking I didn't know what was going on as well as anyone else, and someone continually saying, "I can't believe they wouldn't let my friend in in favour of these morons!" (actually talking about other people, and I don't think she knew my own situation ... but still not pleasant to hear) didn't help.

However, half of them failed to progress to the second year where I did, so feeling all right now.
Yeah my cousin is the same he missed his offer by a whole grade and was let in anyway enven though he applied for MMaths and he didn't get the grade required for FM.
I say he is lucky, very lucky but his PS prove to be his worth.
I think it was only my third year of Oxford that I actually realised and believed that I deserved to be there as much as anyone else who had actually got the grades. I started realising it in second year but think it was only with my dissertation that I decided I had bloody well earned the place (so maybe end of second year then)...

This plagued me all of first year, especially when someone said to my face that I didn't deserve to be there. I'd recommend anyone feeling like this to try and speak to whoever made the decision to take them in anyway and ask them why. When I finally cracked and blurted out to my tutor that I didn't know why the hell I was there and felt I shouldn't be there, he was shocked and upset that I felt like that. He also seemed very surprised that I'd missed the grades! So clearly whilst I'd spent the whole year thinking that I had to earn my keep or prove to him that he'd made the right decision, he'd forgotten pretty soon after making that decision :facepalm: When I reminded him I'd got a B in French, he said:

"Oh, well that's just French isn't it?! The reason we took you anyway, TLG, is you're highly intelligent..."

It took me another whole academic year to actually come anywhere near close to believing him, but just having that reassurance was really nice. I wish now that when I'd first started feeling like this or when that other person had been giving me **** that I'd gone to him then! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I think it was only my third year of Oxford that I actually realised and believed that I deserved to be there as much as anyone else who had actually got the grades. I started realising it in second year but think it was only with my dissertation that I decided I had bloody well earned the place (so maybe end of second year then)...

This plagued me all of first year, especially when someone said to my face that I didn't deserve to be there. I'd recommend anyone feeling like this to try and speak to whoever made the decision to take them in anyway and ask them why. When I finally cracked and blurted out to my tutor that I didn't know why the hell I was there and felt I shouldn't be there, he was shocked and upset that I felt like that. He also seemed very surprised that I'd missed the grades! So clearly whilst I'd spent the whole year thinking that I had to earn my keep or prove to him that he'd made the right decision, he'd forgotten pretty soon after making that decision :facepalm: When I reminded him I'd got a B in French, he said:

"Oh, well that's just French isn't it?! The reason we took you anyway, TLG, is you're highly intelligent..."

It took me another whole academic year to actually come anywhere near close to believing him, but just having that reassurance was really nice. I wish now that when I'd first started feeling like this or when that other person had been giving me **** that I'd gone to him then! :smile:

Please rate some other members before rating this user again :sad: damn TSR!

I'm feeling better now :smile: I guess it's still way to early for anybody to say whether I deserve to be here or not.
Original post by ily_em
Please rate some other members before rating this user again :sad: damn TSR!

I'm feeling better now :smile: I guess it's still way to early for anybody to say whether I deserve to be here or not.

Well at the end of the day, it's no one's place to tell you whether you deserve to be there or not, other than the academics/admin staff involved. If you missed your grades, they weren't obliged to take you: you broke your part of the deal. For them to take you anyway, they must have thought you were worth taking :smile: Who are your peers to tell you whether you deserved to be taken or not? It's not like they know anything about the decision making process! :nah:

The other thing to remember is that you're probably just projecting your insecurities and uncertainty onto other people. Has anyone actually said or done anything to make you feel like you shouldn't be there? Equally, anyone who does say something might be projecting insecurities onto you. My tutorial partner (the one who said I didn't deserve to be there) didn't get ideal AS grades and felt he wouldn't get in if he applied on those. So he took a gap year and applied post-A2 to have a shot at Oxford, because he felt he wouldn't based on his AS grades. Obviously he got in that time but would he if he had applied the year before? :dontknow: He didn't get high marks on his Music A2 either. Whereas I have the confidence knowing that I was good enough to take without the grades and whooped his ass at Music A2 :yes:

I was a headache and a half for my tutor due to various factors but I don't think he regrets the decision to take me at all :nah:
Reply 14
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well at the end of the day, it's no one's place to tell you whether you deserve to be there or not, other than the academics/admin staff involved. If you missed your grades, they weren't obliged to take you: you broke your part of the deal. For them to take you anyway, they must have thought you were worth taking :smile: Who are your peers to tell you whether you deserved to be taken or not? It's not like they know anything about the decision making process! :nah:

The other thing to remember is that you're probably just projecting your insecurities and uncertainty onto other people. Has anyone actually said or done anything to make you feel like you shouldn't be there? Equally, anyone who does say something might be projecting insecurities onto you. My tutorial partner (the one who said I didn't deserve to be there) didn't get ideal AS grades and felt he wouldn't get in if he applied on those. So he took a gap year and applied post-A2 to have a shot at Oxford, because he felt he wouldn't based on his AS grades. Obviously he got in that time but would he if he had applied the year before? :dontknow: He didn't get high marks on his Music A2 either. Whereas I have the confidence knowing that I was good enough to take without the grades and whooped his ass at Music A2 :yes:

I was a headache and a half for my tutor due to various factors but I don't think he regrets the decision to take me at all :nah:

I don't think anybody know :ninja: Nobody has said anything, sorry if I gave that impression! It's just me feeling sorry for myself, I know I shouldn't be thinking like this :smile:
Original post by ily_em
I don't think anybody know :ninja: Nobody has said anything, sorry if I gave that impression! It's just me feeling sorry for myself, I know I shouldn't be thinking like this :smile:

I didn't think anyone had, just checking though!

It's far too easy to feel like this, so don't beat yourself up about that! Equally don't beat yourself up about getting in without the grades! Clearly there was some reasoning behind it! If anything, you should feel good that you did so (even though I completely get why it's hard to feel like that) :hugs:

One dickhead aside, I actually found that people respected me more for having got in without the grades :smile:
Reply 16
I sometimes feel like this, but it makes me want to work even harder (Sometimes...haha) to show that I deserve to be there.
I was meant to get BBBc but got BCCc!
Reply 17
(edited 13 years ago)
Not at all!

I was I think 4 grades under my offer, and 5 grades under the typical entry requirements. I'd say this is down to a few eprsonal problems I had to deal with during my A-Level exams, but Nottingham didn't know about this.

Now that I'm here, I'm on track for a 1st, and am loving every minute of the work, I'm coping well with it, and I just can't get enough of everything I can do through the Students' Union :biggrin:
Original post by DarkWhite
Not at all!

I was I think 4 grades under my offer, and 5 grades under the typical entry requirements. I'd say this is down to a few eprsonal problems I had to deal with during my A-Level exams, but Nottingham didn't know about this.

Now that I'm here, I'm on track for a 1st, and am loving every minute of the work, I'm coping well with it, and I just can't get enough of everything I can do through the Students' Union :biggrin:

But did it ever cross your mind, or did you always believe you deserved to be there just as much?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending