The Student Room Group

Want to lose weight before uni so i can look nice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
It's ok to be chubby, and chubby girls are :love:

Don't lose weight, just wear better clothes :yes:

But, I don't like being chubby lol :frown: I've been chubby for 17 years.. I want me to look nice when i turn 18!
Original post by helpneeded-a
:frown: But i ate grapes, an di wanted to do dancing..

:frown:

Dancing is cardio most of the time. So long as it wasnt too many grapes it should be ok but eating after exercise is much more effective when burning fat.

Can I ask what style of dancing?
Reply 22
when you say 10-30 minutes of exercise etc.

what do you actually mean by this?

Because I know a lot of people who just go to the gym - walk a bit on the treadmill and say they've done half an hour or whatever of exercise

the exercise you need to be doing should be strenuous and actually make you sweat, tired etc.

to lose weight you need to be using more energy then you're taking in and also burning fat reserves while also eating healthily

the foods you are eating seem fine
Original post by bertstare
wrong

ITT terrible advice

Lets see you do better then....
This information was given to me via a personal trainer.
Original post by Loz17
Dancing is cardio most of the time. So long as it wasnt too many grapes it should be ok but eating after exercise is much more effective when burning fat.

Can I ask what style of dancing?

When I say dancing....
I kinda mean me just jumping around the room to music doing whatever :P
Reply 25
Cut down on junk food is the main thing and try to eat cleaner foods. My advice is do as much exercise as possible until you can't do anymore, if you lift weights then do as many sets until failure... same with cardio.
Reply 26
Original post by Teaddict
Hmm I cannot seem to find it right now.

I read it on the Telegraph online a week or two ago. It said that scientists had discovered that how much you eat isn't the issue, its what you eat.

Surely that is common sense? The point is that healthy food contains fewer calories in the first place. You'd have a hard time getting obese if all you ate was cucumber, due to the fact that it's over 95% water.
Weight gain IS intrinsically linked the calorie intake, however, due to the fact that calories are simply a measure of energy. If you eat 2000kcals in a day, and you burn only 1500kcals during that day, there is an excess of 500kcals. There are 9kcals in a gram of fat. Hence weight gain.
There has however been some research into the type of food that you eat. Something to do with the body being able to turn excess protein into fat, but not carbohydrate, or possibly the other way around.
Also scientists believe that the body will burn calories from protein BEFORE those from fat, hence why it is usually the fat that is left over.

Apologies a) if this sounds ranty, it isn't meant to, and b) if I have misunderstood/ repeated anything you have already said and/or implied. :smile:
When I say dancing....
I kinda mean me just jumping around the room to music doing whatever :P

Do you feel out of breath after though?
Ah OP, you're the same as me. I only want to lose half a stone though, so I'll start after the festive pig out. :biggrin:
Reply 29
go on fitness thread
Give up sugar in your porridge and coffee. Give up fizzy drinks only drink fizzy water if you feel like something fizzy. Give up bread. Exercise more. Take up bollywood dancing or something . Eat more fruit. Good luck
Original post by Loz17
Do you feel out of breath after though?

I just jumped and ran around teh living room for 4 minutes- with no stopping. I feel out of breath! lool
Original post by mummyperson
Give up sugar in your porridge and coffee. Give up fizzy drinks only drink fizzy water if you feel like something fizzy. Give up bread. Exercise more. Take up bollywood dancing or something . Eat more fruit. Good luck

Don't take sugar in porridge, well havn't since i started tring to eat healthy
I just jumped and ran around teh living room for 4 minutes- with no stopping. I feel out of breath! lool

Do that for another 26 mins and thats todays exercise sorted :wink2:
Reply 34
Original post by Captain92
Surely that is common sense? The point is that healthy food contains fewer calories in the first place. You'd have a hard time getting obese if all you ate was cucumber, due to the fact that it's over 95% water.
Weight gain IS intrinsically linked the calorie intake, however, due to the fact that calories are simply a measure of energy. If you eat 2000kcals in a day, and you burn only 1500kcals during that day, there is an excess of 500kcals. There are 9kcals in a gram of fat. Hence weight gain.
There has however been some research into the type of food that you eat. Something to do with the body being able to turn excess protein into fat, but not carbohydrate, or possibly the other way around.
Also scientists believe that the body will burn calories from protein BEFORE those from fat, hence why it is usually the fat that is left over.

Apologies a) if this sounds ranty, it isn't meant to, and b) if I have misunderstood/ repeated anything you have already said and/or implied. :smile:

The article also said that calorie counting is unnecessary.
There is also articles on the Telegraph about high protein diets being the best thing to keep weight off.
Original post by Teaddict
Recently a experiment about food and health was completed. It was the largest of its kind in history and recommended that portion size is practically irrelevant. The issue is what you eat, not how much you eat.

For example, you can eat tonnes of healthy food and it won't matter, but if you eat the wrong food, even a small amount will get you.

In short, eat lots of fruit and veg, lean meats, cold pasta, etc and don't calorie count -_-

That aside, exercise is always the most important thing. I personally have taken up doing 30 minutes on a cycle machine whilst watching the Daily Politics :tongue: I find it best to mix exercise with something else such as watching TV.

Do you have a source for that? Im not saying you are wrong i just want to know its true before i tell other people
Reply 36
Give up sugar in tea/coffee?

That is taking the piss. One level tea spoon fun of sugar in a cup of tea doesn't matter at all. Just because someone is losing weight doesn't mean they have to live of a life void of sugar and treats.
Reply 37
Original post by Phillipsherman
Do you have a source for that? Im not saying you are wrong i just want to know its true before i tell other people

I did but I can't seem to find it. I tried searching google but it wasn't helpful.

I read it in November on the Telegraph website.
Reply 38
I agree with another poster and watch TV or something whilst doing exercise... I try to do 20-30 minutes a day on the crosstrainer and I find it mind-numbingly boring without the TV.
You need to up your protein intake. This will keep you fuller for longer and they contain as much energy as carbs. Obviously you have to watch your calorie intake everyday but don't get too anal about it.

You should start doing weight training too (preferably at the gym) and maybe do the odd session of cardio.

Persistance is key. You have giving yourself a good date to reach, just set regular targets.

How much are you looking to lose? Are you male or female?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending