The Student Room Group

my appeal letter after getting sacked -pretty joke,changed the names though...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
guys i want to send it now i dont even care-took me ages to write that:o:o
Reply 21
Original post by Disenchanted
I don't know why I read all that but.. I did. I don't think they'll take you seriously, grammar and spell checks are required and you haven't made it sound too professional. It was a funny read though!

i dont want them to take me seriously -dont want the job back as long as it was serious enough Sh** up the company and ppl there.
Here's what I got from that:

You have no real grasp of being able to command proper grammar, which always makes a formal letter seem crap.

You seem pretty arrogant yourself. This is supposed to be a letter of appeal, where you state your case, nothing more. In this, you go on to slag off and insult fellow colleagues. Not a great approach.

You were still in your probationary period, for which I will direct you to this site

Original post by anon34
i dont want the job back just want them to knw what everyone else is doing wrong and how i shouldnt be sacked first

Original post by anon34
but they are all chavs working there thats the only reason i said them

Then why the hell are you bothering? Are you really that ****ing petty?
The whole thing can be summarised as this:

Dear Bryan,

I am writing to you to appeal against the decision to terminate my employment at XXXX.

I experienced poor supervision throughout my fortnight employment, starting with failing to be told where and when to arrive for my first day and such that I was unsure who was in a position to assign tasks to me. I was not taught to do the job properly and when I (unsurprisingly) didn't understand certain tasks, other members of staff were impatient with me.

In one memorable incident, I assumed that the regular cigarette breaks taken by some of my colleagues were scheduled breaks, and as a non-smoker I used these to play games, assuming that would be ok. I was warned it was not, and was apologetic.

The reason I was terminated for is, in my opinion, unreasonable as it is something I had previously been told I was not to do; however, due to the aforementioned uncertainty over who assigned tasks, I did it anyway to the best of my ability. I had not been shown how to properly do this, and because it was slightly sub-standard according to my primary manager, I was unprofessionally told to leave XXXX.

I hope you take the circumstances I have outlined here into consideration and review my termination.

Yours sincerely,

anon34.
Oh, it's not an actual letter, just something to make you feel better. Well, in that case, the trick is to write them whilst fired up (pun :awesome:) and be very sarcastic. For example, here is an excerpt from an e-mail a friend and I sent to a bus company after an awful journey:

"Despite feeling understandably annoyed, we were trying to let the situation rest, but unfortunately this was only the tip of the iceberg for our unsatisfactory journey. Lack of appropriate driver attitude was one thing, but we thought he might at least have basic skills in how to stop the bus; once again, we were disappointed."
The tone sounds really rude.... I would make it more formal, less of "thats not in my contract, remember"
Reply 27
Original post by TheSownRose
Oh, it's not an actual letter, just something to make you feel better. Well, in that case, the trick is to write them whilst fired up (pun :awesome:) and be very sarcastic. For example, here is an excerpt from an e-mail a friend and I sent to a bus company after an awful journey:

"Despite feeling understandably annoyed, we were trying to let the situation rest, but unfortunately this was only the tip of the iceberg for our unsatisfactory journey. Lack of appropriate driver attitude was one thing, but we thought he might at least have basic skills in how to stop the bus; once again, we were disappointed."

thanks it is a letter but i dont care if i dont get the job back just slag off some of the ppl still working there
Reply 28
Original post by Callipygian
The tone sounds really rude.... I would make it more formal, less of "thats not in my contract, remember"

i was a bit stubborn writing it lol
Original post by anon34
thanks it is a letter but i dont care if i dont get the job back just slag off some of the ppl still working there

Tbh, if I was in the main office and we received that letter, we would absolutely piss ourselves laughing at your expense. It makes you look like a petty douche. Keep in mind that you're not the one on top here. You're the one that was fired. You're just adding fuel to the fire here.
Original post by anon34

The tone and content sounds fine to just get things out in the open, just maybe clean up the spelling and grammar. :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Tbh, if I was in the main office and we received that letter, we would absolutely piss ourselves laughing at your expense. It makes you look like a petty douche. Keep in mind that you're not the one on top here. You're the one that was fired. You're just adding fuel to the fire here.

that was my intention
Original post by anon34

that was my intention

To be laughed at like a bitter douche who can't keep hold of a menial minimum wage job?
Reply 33
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
To be laughed at like a bitter douche who can't keep hold of a menial minimum wage job?

YES!!!!
Original post by anon34
YES!!!!

Cool. Continue on with your letter.
I've read the letter and even if it took you ages to write I'm afraid it isn't very good.

By and large it is unprofessional, hostile and not written at all like an appeal against a sacking should be written. Stylistically it should be more formal, have no spelling/grammar errors and be a clear statement of your case, rather than the rather rambling prose you have currently, which seems to consist of moaning and pointing fingers at others. Sure, I can see in there some good points but they are lost in the rest of the letter. They need to stand out more and to do that you have to cut a lot of the superfluous stuff.

The biggest problem by far though, is the tone of the letter. The message it conveys is "I should have this job back because I'm better and smarter than you proles." Stating that you are a humble person doesn't make you one. People aren't dumb - they can read between the lines.

Your responses in the rest of the thread have indicated that you've gone through stages of being very proud of your letter to be being embarrassed about it. You keep changing what you say you intended with writing it. My advice is not to send it at all. Redraft it if you have to, and I'm sorry if you lost your job, but don't send that letter as it stands.
Reply 36
For some reason it doesn't really read like a formal letter. To be honest I think you need to sort out the structure. You frequently do name drop which might be confusing.

Perhaps do one paragraph per person and make the paragraphs longer with less of them. Then there are the things like not capitalising some of the names and frequently having information in brackets. I would make the sentences shorter or add commas. Also put the rest of the quotes in quotation marks.

Content is good. Perhaps a little excessive with the information and needs to be cut down or summarised. You seem to repeat yourself about being humble yet you claim to have fantastic A Level results, feel almost over qualified and mention you have an A grade in A-Level Chemistry.
Original post by anon34
sorry guys have to remove... LOL JK.

ive cut it down to last few paras

When I received the warning I could still observe fellow colleagues taking cig breaks and talking in reception but I stayed in the office and when they did pop in they started to become very commanding, blaming me for things which I had not been taught.E.g jess blamed me for not taking the expense sheet upstairs on the first day- I hadn’t done the expenses, I didn’t know where upstairs was or where to go.Im glad that she had this great expectation of me-but when she continued to blame (almost 5 time you'd think I understood it the first time) and became rude I found it quite offensive.

After a while the other 2 colleagues followed the same blaming and ordering procedure (mainly because of my young age and humble character) but I did everything I was asked to do. In my session with adam he told me that they are not your manager and when you don’t have work you should come and see us. adam is so busy that I hardly ever saw him (comes in late afternoon on one or two occasions) and Lola was always absent (I never saw her for a long time). At the time steph was the only person there and I helped her with folders (I know now she is also partly my manager) when I clearly had no work to do.

In my session with adam I told him that I would like to work in classrooms as well : as part of my timetable, and he told me no your put down as an admin assistant and he showed me the contract paper, but he said he will look into it. I even asked lola this as well. The 3rd part reason Lola gave for sacking me is that there were stuff in classrooms that hadn’t been done properly. This was not part of my job role!

It was not in my timetable and I only went in because I didn’t have any admin work to do and so covering for other people who weren’t in, as a favour. I was also sometimes randomly ordered to go in by my colleagues ( I wasn’t going to argue).When I did attend sessions I hugely helped the clients and Christie is great evidence for this as well as Elila who were there. One time I remember going into a session voluntarily (because I enjoyed helping out) and observed how one colleague was just talking to Christie while I was there helping the client fill in the appl form,find where the phone is to call up jobs and finding jobs for them on the computer-you can even go and ask them-they were very thankful of my help at the end , I can provide you with names.

With Lola who was the only other manager that I began to see a bit more frequently in week 2 I did everything she asked me to a very high standard and she knows this.

Yet one of the things she accuses me of is not drying properly the 6 cups i washed for her. Okay a)this is the only thing that she has stated i haven’t done properly,b)I am not supposed to do classroom work anyway it’s not in my contract remember ,c) I asked her where the biscuits were and she said leave it I’ll do it myself but she still says I didn’t do that task properly and d)1 ml of water at the bottom evaporates (its not going to stay there forever, i know this from previous experience of washing cups and from getting an A in A2 Chemistry). If this last reason sounds weird it’s because the reasons for sacking were weird yet here i am trying my best to defend my case!

Finally, I just want to say when I was sacked I was told quote "just leave”. I have never seen anything like this in my life, it’s not apprentice or a TV show, it’s a serious job- at least they could’ve told me to stay on for the rest of the day and not come in tomorrow or sent me a letter. One last thing that I picked up just so that I think Janem was her name, won’t complain about me not mentioning, is that I had an attitude. Now being a naturally humble person who has been invited for an awards evening at my school I think I have the right to question that claim. When she says attitude does she mean that time when I told jess, a very arrogant and autocratic individual after the 5th round of blaming that she should leave me alone to do my work. I'll admit there was definitely a degree of emphasis in it but you can’t be sensitive to that yet not feel any sensitivity to the fact that I am young, still learning (only 9th day) and trying to tolerate this narrow minded and offensive individual.

I ask that you only consider my case and how I feel when after all this someone tells me "it’s okay were sacking a few of the fjf" and how I’m being blamed for their faults when they have been working there for a solid 5/6 months and should really know better. Janem must also realise that I am more likely to follow a fellow colleague giving me continuous commandments than a manager who I hardly ever see and who left me on day one with them. It’s no wonder that even on that cig break for when I had no work (which I thought was everyone’s generalised break finding out later that it wasn’t) that I did not go ask the managers for any work and resorted to the evil act of playing games.

I still don’t have a coherent idea of the reasons for my sacking, all I got was “It’s a probationary period and we can choose to end your contract whenever.”

I hope you see the serious side to my logic and how for someone who has just left school this creates doubtful opinions of the working system and creates a bad reputation for what is supposed to be a charitable company.

Regards,

Hahaha. Pretty nice work man. Definitely send it and post any reply on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending