The Student Room Group

Why do girls do this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GGSTRT
I've always wondered why girls do this; It could be just the girl is not physically attracted to the boy. it's not fair but this is life lol

Why, has that happen to you? :biggrin: I guess that one of the bad things bout us lot:/. Thats not to say guys are 'angels' tho loool.
Reply 21
Original post by oh-sugarrr
Why, has that happen to you? :biggrin: I guess that one of the bad things bout us lot:/. Thats not to say guys are 'angels' tho loool.

lol unfortunately yes it has, virtually every time i have 'tried it' though you could say it was half-hearted attempts, texting someome to say you like them is not the way to go as i have learned :redface:
and true say yes we boys are not angels lol :/
Reply 22
Original post by GGSTRT
lol unfortunately yes it has, virtually every time i have 'tried it' though you could say it was half-hearted attempts, texting someome to say you like them is not the way to go as i have learned :redface:
and true say yes we boys are not angels lol :/

Aw, their loss, so screw them :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by oh-sugarrr
Aw, their loss, so screw them :biggrin:

lool well plenty more fish in the sea eh and its not imprtant to have a relationship now though it would be nice, we should just have fun
Reply 24
Because if they have got that close but just stayed friends then there's no chemistry there. A girl can't logic herself in to a relationship, you have to feel an attraction.
Because a guy may have all the things you're looking for, but you just don't want to be with him. I have guy friends who I know must be amazing boyfriends, but I'm not interested in forcing myself to like a friend because I think he'd be a good boyfriend. There has to be that extra something that means they stop being a friend and start being more.
If anything goes wrong between their relationship, it could jeopardise their friendship foreverrrrrrrrrrr.
Men do this too btw.
It's not the girls fault if she doesn't like the guy. She isn't obligated to go out with somebody just because they like her.
Love is a freaking minefield..
Reply 28
Original post by IlexBlue
The scenario is, a guy likes a girl. Really likes her. They're usually really good friends, but the girl is completely oblivious. Eventually, the guy comes out and tells her.

He sounds wet already.

Girl says she doesn't feel the same way (for some wishy-washy reason), so she and the guy stay friends. The girl will go out with countless other guys, but it never works out, and she complains to the guy that there are no decent guys out there and she will never find anyone, and asks "why aren't more guys like you?" But never goes out with guy. Guy pounds head against a brick wall.

Despite the fact that this guy would probably treat her really well, knows her well already and is probably a good match for her, she will never go out with this guy.

Why does this happen?

Because the girl isn't attracted to the guy in question. What other explanation could there be?
I'm just going to state now, I AM a girl, and I am aware that not every single girl in the whole world does this, before I get people squawking "I don't do that STOP GENERALISING" but it's something I have noticed happening very frequently, and I'm curious about it.

There's been more than enough threads in H&R on this over the past God knows how long, so most of you will get what I'm talking about. The scenario is, a guy likes a girl. Really likes her. They're usually really good friends, but the girl is completely oblivious. Eventually, the guy comes out and tells her. Girl says she doesn't feel the same way (for some wishy-washy reason), so she and the guy stay friends. The girl will go out with countless other guys, but it never works out, and she complains to the guy that there are no decent guys out there and she will never find anyone, and asks "why aren't more guys like you?" But never goes out with guy. Guy pounds head against a brick wall.

Despite the fact that this guy would probably treat her really well, knows her well already and is probably a good match for her, she will never go out with this guy.

Why does this happen? Girls, why do you never consider 'the best friend' type of guy? I can't answer my own question because I've not been in this situation before. Are you put off by a trait of theirs? Is there just no attraction? Even if you've not experienced it, you can theorise. This happens so often, and you see it IRL and even on TV all the time. I think this quote summarises it well:

A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired.

The reason for this is because there's a difference between thinking that someone is a great guy and actually being attracted to them. Someone could be perfect in every way but if there's no spark then of course you're not going to go out with them.

My best friend is male and I think he's a great person, always there for me, we have a laugh etc. And he once had a crush on me but I never went out with him because I just wasn't attracted to him.

Amazing guy does not equal girl being attracted to him. It's as simple as that.

And in terms of your analogy, someone with a perfect resume might lack that extra spark, therefore making them an unsuitable candidate.
I'm just going to state now, I AM a girl, and I am aware that not every single girl in the whole world does this, before I get people squawking "I don't do that STOP GENERALISING" but it's something I have noticed happening very frequently, and I'm curious about it.

There's been more than enough threads in H&R on this over the past God knows how long, so most of you will get what I'm talking about. The scenario is, a guy likes a girl. Really likes her. They're usually really good friends, but the girl is completely oblivious. Eventually, the guy comes out and tells her. Girl says she doesn't feel the same way (for some wishy-washy reason), so she and the guy stay friends. The girl will go out with countless other guys, but it never works out, and she complains to the guy that there are no decent guys out there and she will never find anyone, and asks "why aren't more guys like you?" But never goes out with guy. Guy pounds head against a brick wall.

Why does this happen? Girls, why do you never consider 'the best friend' type of guy? I can't answer my own question because I've not been in this situation before. Are you put off by a trait of theirs? Is there just no attraction? Even if you've not experienced it, you can theorise. This happens so often, and you see it IRL and even on TV all the time. I think this quote summarises it well:

A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much. She sees him strictly as a friend. This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way. This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants. But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic. And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you. In fact, we will never hire you. But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired.

They want someone with some of the qualities of the friend, but who is also attractive.
Original post by L i b

Because the girl isn't attracted to the guy in question. What other explanation could there be?

snap.
This is known as the Friendzone

"It's just…you're like my best friend, and I would hate for something you desperately want to change that.
I mean, sure, we could go on some dates, maybe mess around a little and finally validate the six years you've spent languishing in this platonic nightmare,
but then what? How could we ever go back to the way we were,
where I take advantage of your clear attraction to me so I can have someone at my beck and call?
That part of our friendship means so much to me."
Reply 33
Original post by ash92:)
Lol OP. i agree, girls make things sooo complicated. why is it that they go for the flirty guys and then wonder why they get cheated on? like they say, nice guys finsh last...

Because flirting demonstrates sexual interest. If someone doesn't display sexual interest towards you - whether out of a normal lack of attraction or simply because he happens to be a coward - then you're not going to reciprocate. It doesn't help that the sort of friend-zone types are usually wet in other ways too: often not having any self-confidence, decisiveness or ability to speak their mind. Who is going to fancy someone like that?
Maybe it's something to do with sexual attraction? :dontknow:

Just saying coz I have the most wonderful guy as a best friend. He's sensitive, kind, a great listener, a great laugh, similar interests, etc. We were "college married" at uni and I could happily get married to him properly and have a nice life together... if I didn't have to do anything physical with him beyond hugging. He's a lovely guy and great husband material (I'm not the only one to think so) but there's just no sexual chemistry :nah:

I am positive this exact same metaphor has already been used by some guy a few weeks ago. Are you schizophrenic, or do you just like repeating what other people have already said?
Reply 36
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
I am positive this exact same metaphor has already been used by some guy a few weeks ago. Are you schizophrenic, or do you just like repeating what other people have already said?

Uh... neither? I found it on a website, and I thought it was relevant. Hence why I called it a quote.
Uh... neither? I found it on a website, and I thought it was relevant. Hence why I called it a quote.

Oh, sorry, I missed that last sentence >_<

I think L I B has it though. If a guy doesn't show you any sexual interest, you disregard him as a potential boyfriend. It then becomes incredibly difficult to 'reawaken' any potential interest you could have had at the start. I would've thought it's biological or something.
When women complain that there are no decent boys out there, what they mean is that there are no decent AND sexually attractive candidates.

It's the guys fault.

He's been friendzoned. lol... It's how women innately think/reason. They naturally favour bad boys over nice guys. It's cliche, but still true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending