The Student Room Group

Want to lose weight before uni so i can look nice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowsforsale
You need to up your protein intake. This will keep you fuller for longer and they contain as much energy as carbs. Obviously you have to watch your calorie intake everyday but don't get too anal about it.

You should start doing weight training too (preferably at the gym) and maybe do the odd session of cardio.

Persistance is key. You have giving yourself a good date to reach, just set regular targets.

How much are you looking to lose? Are you male or female?

I don't think everyone wants to slave away at the gym. Normal exercise is fine usually.

As good as weight training is for losing weight (I miss it) if OP also has exams coming up I doubt they can afford the gym/have that much time for it.
(edited 13 years ago)
You need to up your protein intake. This will keep you fuller for longer and they contain as much energy as carbs. Obviously you have to watch your calorie intake everyday but don't get too anal about it.

You should start doing weight training too (preferably at the gym) and maybe do the odd session of cardio.

Persistance is key. You have giving yourself a good date to reach, just set regular targets.

How much are you looking to lose? Are you male or female?

female.
2 stones by june.
Reply 42
Original post by Loz17
Lets see you do better then....
This information was given to me via a personal trainer.

cool story bro

OP needs to lift weights first and foremost before cardio, and eat a high protein low carb diet, under maintenance calories, and after a few months of this there should be a huge change. just doing cardio and not eating much means you burn muscle and fat, and end up looking like a twig

should only eat carbs in the morning and pre workout, otherwise just lean meats vegetables etc
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Loz17
I don't think everyone wants to slave away at the gym. Normal exercise is fine usually.

As good as weight training is for losing weight (I miss it) if OP also has exams coming up I doubt they can afford the gym/have that much time for it.

I'm sure anyone can find at least 3-4 hours from their study routines(whether that'd be waking up earlier or being more efficient or cutting time from some other activity) to do some exercise at the gym a week. The gym is also liberating between study sessions I find and helps to keep you sane. : /
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bertstare
cool story bro

OP needs to lift weights first and foremost before cardio, and eat a high protein low carb diet, under maintenance calories, and after a few months of this there should be a huge change. just doing cardio and not eating much means you burn muscle and fat, and end up looking like a twig

Wasn't the purpose if my post whatsoever. I'm sure no-one does want to look like a twig. I meant it to be something easy OP can start off with, not a long term solution as the only exercise she should do.
I'm sure anyone can find at least 3-4 hours from their study routines(whether that'd be waking up earlier or being more efficient or cutting time from some other activity) to do some exercise at the gym a week. The gym is also liberating between study sessions I find and helps to keep you sane. : /

That be true.
stfu

OP you need to go to a gym and lift weights, full body routine 3x a week. then eat a calorie deficit... IE eat less calories than your body burns. high protein, low carb. lifting weights + eating high protein maintains muscle mass so that you only burn fat. you dont want to be losing both muscle and fat

What is your opinion of working out seven days a week?
Reply 47
Original post by Loz17
Wasn't the purpose if my post whatsoever. I'm sure no-one does want to look like a twig. I meant it to be something easy OP can start off with, not a long term solution as the only exercise she should do.

there are plenty of begginer weight training programs which arent too taxing. only doing cardio is a total waste of time, im just trying to emphasise that

Original post by Anonymous
What is your opinion of working out seven days a week?

pointless, better to do 3x a week heavy full body routine, for a beginner, and a 5 day muscle group split for someone whos been lifting a while
there are plenty of begginer weight training programs which arent too taxing. only doing cardio is a total waste of time, im just trying to emphasise that

OK :smile:
Reply 49
Get some vegetables in your diet. Drink lots of water, it will reduce the urge to drink bad drinks and it will make you fuller. Plus if you're like me going to Uni just makes you lose wait anyway, but thats prob cuz of a reduce in food and more activity.
pointless, better to do 3x a week heavy full body routine, for a beginner, and a 5 day muscle group split for someone whos been lifting a while

Nice. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by helpneeded-a
I'm a bit chubby I guess..Not too much, but I don't like how i look. Also, as i want to go clubbing in uni, and i dont think people wear jeans in clubs ..I want to look nice in a dress! atm, I'd have my stomach sticking out if i wore one, and chubby thighs which i don't like :frown: I want to lose 2 stones before I go university..:/

This si what i ate so far, this week, its not very good, but i would usually just eat snacks and alot of unhealthy food.
monday :Porridge, chips, banana, oranges, apple, dinner
Tuesday 7th December:
Porridge, oranges, stir fry, banana, coffee, baked patato x 2 and beans with cheese, coke, bread
Wednesday:
Banana, chicken wings, rice and dal, bagel, coffee, oranges, sandwich
Thursday: porridge, rice and lentils (im indian ), pasta and garlic bread.
Friday: porridge, chocolate bar, bacon bun, popcorn and slush (went cinema), then chickpeas… o.o some bread.

today: I woke up at 4.... so, a banana and porridge

I exercise aout 10-30 minutes weekdays and 10- 15 on weekends..
I can't choose what i eat for dinner because my mum makes it. However, i have control over what i eat for breakfast and lunch.

I just want to lose weight, by june for my birthday.
I've started to eat fruit everytime i feel hungry, e.g. for snacks..
I drink more water too, but not enough, so that is something i will have to work on.

This week, i really havn't 'pigged out' as i usually would've done, ut i fear that i won't lose anything out of this...

Anything else i can do? teh chips and chicken wings - i say are an exception as i was very hungry and there are only fast food shops near school! lol next time, i'll just choose fruit

What else can i do to lose weight, can people please share their experiences..

I don't have any time to go gym, due to exams, but have time to go for walks. i iam to eat 6 meals a day, my doctor said that would help me lose weight, i eat the 3 regular ,meals and then i have fruit or water when i feel peckish.

I hate how i look everytime i go to a changing room and look in the mirror, i feel sick everytime i know i'm putting calories on by eating junk food. I don't feel that i will be eating alot and stuffing my face as i used to, because i'm scared i'd be the only chubby one there at uni.

You dont have to go to the gym to do stuff, just go for a 20 - 30 min run everyday and youll soon lose it. Start slow and build up

And obviously you're gonna choose Kent as firm? :P
Original post by Bgreen91
You dont have to go to the gym to do stuff, just go for a 20 - 30 min run everyday and youll soon lose it. Start slow and build up

She can have a run around Parkwood when she gets here then :wink:
Original post by Bgreen91

lol yessssssssss! when i get my march results back and they are good enough for kent i will! but i need to startdoing my work for that :frown:

lol, kent has a good gym right? i havn't seen the sports hall stuff
lol yessssssssss! when i get my march results back and they are good enough for kent i will! but i need to startdoing my work for that :frown:

lol, kent has a good gym right? i havn't seen the sports hall stuff

Get yo' ass on that revision thread :wink2:

Yea the Kent gym looks good. I've been inside but I don't have a membership so I haven;t seen the actual gym facilities. I know they do have a massive range of equipment, and run fitness classes like circuits and yoga fitness etc. Also have many sports societies you can join (will see these at freshers fayre). They also have another sports centre called The Pavillion where they have even more sports facilities.

With the circuits, they sometimes have an ex-marine running it and he works you very hard I've heard :wink:

Read this for more information
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
You could try walking more, instead of getting the bus/a lift walk - I lost quite a bit of weight, but finding the last stone hard, and I find walking more helps but overall I do think going to the gym 3/4 times a week will deffo help you shed the pounds :biggrin:
Reply 56
Well really, just exercise more and eat less :smile:

Make sure that your exercise is actually strenuous, and that it actually feels like its doing something! Try jogging - it takes a few weeks to get into it, but I really couldn't cope without it now! I also find that listening to audio books while jogging stops me getting bored!

Also, cut out some of the junk food from your diet. You dont need to drink fizzy drinks as they just add unnecessary calories to your diet (plus they'll just make you feel bloated!). Also cut out the chips etc. Try to take healthy lunches with you if you're going out so that you don't have to resort to buying unhealthy food like that.

Apart from that, just listen to the advice of everyone else on here! Try not to snack too much, unless its on healthy food. Also I find it really helps to eat really healthy all week but then have a 'treat day' once a week, where I'm allowed an unhealthy pudding or something. That helps keep me healthy for the rest of the week as it means I have something to look forward to!

Hope this helps :smile: I'm trying to lose a bit too, so good luck to both of us :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nerd123
You could try walking more, instead of getting the bus/a lift walk - I lost quite a bit of weight, but finding the last stone hard, and I find walking more helps but overall I do think going to the gym 3/4 times a week will deffo help you shed the pounds :biggrin:

Give me tips !:O, well more tips lol

what exactly did you do
I'm a bit chubby I guess..Not too much, but I don't like how i look. Also, as i want to go clubbing in uni, and i dont think people wear jeans in clubs ..I want to look nice in a dress! atm, I'd have my stomach sticking out if i wore one, and chubby thighs which i don't like :frown: I want to lose 2 stones before I go university..:/

This si what i ate so far, this week, its not very good, but i would usually just eat snacks and alot of unhealthy food.
monday :Porridge, chips, banana, oranges, apple, dinner
Tuesday 7th December:
Porridge, oranges, stir fry, banana, coffee, baked patato x 2 and beans with cheese, coke, bread
Wednesday:
Banana, chicken wings, rice and dal, bagel, coffee, oranges, sandwich
Thursday: porridge, rice and lentils (im indian ), pasta and garlic bread.
Friday: porridge, chocolate bar, bacon bun, popcorn and slush (went cinema), then chickpeas… o.o some bread.

today: I woke up at 4.... so, a banana and porridge

I exercise aout 10-30 minutes weekdays and 10- 15 on weekends..
I can't choose what i eat for dinner because my mum makes it. However, i have control over what i eat for breakfast and lunch.

I just want to lose weight, by june for my birthday.
I've started to eat fruit everytime i feel hungry, e.g. for snacks..
I drink more water too, but not enough, so that is something i will have to work on.

This week, i really havn't 'pigged out' as i usually would've done, ut i fear that i won't lose anything out of this...

Anything else i can do? teh chips and chicken wings - i say are an exception as i was very hungry and there are only fast food shops near school! lol next time, i'll just choose fruit

What else can i do to lose weight, can people please share their experiences..

I don't have any time to go gym, due to exams, but have time to go for walks. i iam to eat 6 meals a day, my doctor said that would help me lose weight, i eat the 3 regular ,meals and then i have fruit or water when i feel peckish.

I hate how i look everytime i go to a changing room and look in the mirror, i feel sick everytime i know i'm putting calories on by eating junk food. I don't feel that i will be eating alot and stuffing my face as i used to, because i'm scared i'd be the only chubby one there at uni.

I was in a similar situation as you around 1 year ago. What I did was following:

* Walk or ride a bike to school. When I walked, I didn't even take the bus even if it just stopped at the bus stop in front of me. I had a free oyester card as usual. The distance was around 2.2km (25min walk or 6-10min ride)

* I hardly ate anything between two meals. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. That was all. In some cases I had some tea at around 4pm and 1 or 2 biscuits, but never more

* I allowed myself maximum one fat-thing a day. May it be a chocolate, burger, chips, cake,... but only if I intended to do at least of 30 min more exercise than usual. This was in most cases just walking for 30min after eating. But I suppose jogging or running for 30min would do as well. But exercise for less than 20min (no matter how intense) won't help you lose weight at all

* Whenever I ate something packed, I first read the calories. Then decided whether it will make me full or not. If it did make me full, I wouldn't mind eating up to 300-500kcal. If it's something like crisps or chocolate, which won't make me full, I wouldn't eat more than 200kcal.

* Doing some stomach exercises every day in the morning and before sleeping. Not in bed, but rather on an exercise mat. If you don't have that I suggest using the carpet or somewhere else, but not straight on the ground.

* Drank fat-free milk

* Used less sugar in tea

* Didn't eat anything after 8pm

And the result is: I got my stomach flat again. I didn't have problems with losing weight, but needed to get my stomach flat, which was quite expanding. So, I finally managed to do so in around 2 months. I wasn't fully committed that's why it took so long.

But the feeling you get afterwards. You feel that all that hard work was worth it. So just do it.
Reply 59
:frown: But i ate grapes, an di wanted to do dancing..

:frown:

Go here:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending