The Student Room Group

Why are teenagers obsessed with black people and black culture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ussumane
Your opinion on them is irrelevant because you are Martian.

Haha.
Reply 21
Man i wish i was black :frown: then i could fry me up some chicken! im just kidding i'm not that racist/prejudiced. But really......that actually happened tho
Original post by Lazuliblue
And it sounds weird when posh words come out of a black person's mouth? I don't think so. What planet are you living on?? :confused: The colour of your skin doesn't determine how a person "should" speak.

"I didn't say it should. But if you didn't grow up in East, South or West London- you shouldn't be speaking slang."

Basically most of these white people haven't lived in London so they are basically trying to be something they're not which annoys me.
Original post by fletchdd02
I wouldn't say every teenager is because i'm definately not. Where do you come from?

MK. Milk and beans, lol. :]
Actually I think, if anything, it's the other way round.. Black girls especially, are highly influenced by white girls in the sense that they all burn the **** out of their hair to get it to look long and soft.. Because lets face it, their hair is naturally affro-y.. Heck, even Beyonce and Rihanna are like that, they are influenced by white media telling them what they should look like, what is pretty, sexy etc

Original post by Little Martian
And it really annoys me when white people use slang because it sounds really weird coming out of their mouth, lol. :K:

So you're saying that only black people are allowed to speak slang..? I think you need to re-think what you're saying tbh, I don't think you know what you're talking about, kid.
(edited 13 years ago)
I didn't say it should. But if you didn't grow up in East, South or West London- you shouldn't be speaking slang.

:rolleyes: People should speak how they want, regardless of where they come from. And I don't see much wrong with being inspired (positively) by other cultures, if it makes one happy.
Original post by LaughingBro
They have a culture? :laugh:

Are you alright? You seem to be laughing at something but I didn't notice anyone saying anything funny. :/
Original post by scott8anthony
There are more important things than who's the most popular kid on the playground.

Okay...You're telling me this because? :confused:
Reply 28
"I didn't say it should. But if you didn't grow up in East, South or West London- you shouldn't be speaking slang."

Basically most of these white people haven't lived in London so they are basically trying to be something they're not which annoys me.

I guess you don't like Eminem then.
Reply 29
I have bare swagger for a white guy, i also spit fire and draw bare shank
Reply 30
It's a london thing. I think it's a bit racist to say it belongs to black culture. It's just that in central london there are a lot of black teenagers so it can give the illusion of being a black thing when in reality that's just how teenagers act in central london. You get this sort of behaviour in all the major cities.
Original post by bramz19
And you shouldn't be imposing standards of vernacular on other people. I use slang a LOT (from South East London by the way), but usually only for jokes around mates. People can speak however they want to, and it isn't your business to say that certain people can't use slang because of geographical divergences.

Yeah but when people are pretending to be something their not it gets annoying. And it would be really weird if a white person from Ireland started speaking in slang.
Original post by Hester_23
Man i wish i was black :frown: then i could fry me up some chicken! im just kidding i'm not that racist/prejudiced. But really......that actually happened tho

Mmm, what happened?
You're moving away from the topic...

White UK teenagers, particulalry in areas of ethnic diversity, are 'obsessed' with black culture owing to the machismo associated with it. History has shown that black people have suffered the most at the hands of white colonialism and thus have had to tough out harder existences. This has made them appear in modern youth culture as being particularly tough and living lives closer to the raw meaning of existence i.e. 'more street.' White teenage boys ape this because they desire to be more masculine, and they see this through embuing black culture. As for teenage girls, I don't feel I know.
Reply 34
Yeah but when people are pretending to be something their not it gets annoying. And it would be really weird if a white person from Ireland started speaking in slang.

Do you think Eminem was trying to be something that he wasn't? Just because he was the first famous white rapper?
(edited 13 years ago)
Lol what about black guys with scottish accents? That **** must make your head explode.
Reply 36
Original post by Pensivedore
Actually I think, if anything, it's the other way round.. Black girls especially, are highly influenced by white girls in the sense that they all burn the **** out of their hair to get it to look long and soft.. Because lets face it, their hair is naturally affro-y.. Heck, even Beyonce and Rihanna are like that, they are influenced by white media telling them what they should look like, what is pretty, sexy etc

So you're saying that only black people are allowed to speak slang..? I think you need to re-think what you're saying tbh, I don't think you know what you're talking about, kid.

not necessarily, girls generally want the opposite of what they've got right? lots of girls with straight hair curl their hair too...
Black people/Brown-Asian people/Latino people are the only ones who should use slang. I mean they're the ones who grow up in inner-cities rather than the posh white kids.
Original post by Fat-Love
It's a london thing. I think it's a bit racist to say it belongs to black culture. It's just that in central london there are a lot of black teenagers so it can give the illusion of being a black thing when in reality that's just how teenagers act in central london. You get this sort of behaviour in all the major cities.

I agree with this. The London teenagers, they're all pretty much like that, black, white, asian, mixed, whatever. They all have the same sort of accents and "swagger", lol, no matter what race.
Original post by No Man
Do you think Eminem was trying to be something that he wasn't? Just because he was the first white rapper?

First white rapper? What are you talking about? Eminem wasnt the first white rapper? Dont be silly. He is the most popular white rapper (and one of the most popular rappers in the world) but he certainly wasnt the first. -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending