The Student Room Group

Aberdeen or Edinburgh?

I currently have offers from both Heriot-watt(edinburgh) and Robert Gordon(aberdeen) and I am undecided which I want to use for my back up option, edinburgh seems the nicer city and is closer to home, but is just outside of the city and the campus seems quiet.
Robert Gordon offers a closer city campus, and a placement year which would be great for my CV and I have a friend who is also applying there so it would be comforting to have a familiar face.
Both offer the course I want to do but Heriot watt just offers a 6 week placement.
Its a tricky one.
(im also applying at liverpool & leicester)

Scroll to see replies

With the Robert Gordon University, you have Aberdeen city centre at your doorstep. With Heriot-Watt, you're in a self-sufficient campus which is isolated from the city of Edinburgh. Getting to the city requires a thirty minute train ride.
Reply 2
Heriot Watt isn't really in Edinburgh proper, by the way. It's on a purpose built industrial park next to the M8, and even going a direct route in the car (instead of taking the bus and thus going all over the place) it's still not that easy a place to get to.

It's still within the city limits but it's a bit of a stretch.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I've heard some awful things about Aberedeen! Edinburagh seems so much more... classy? Saying that, the placement year would be AWESOME.

Check out 'whatuni.com' it has lots of reviews and stuff.. Helped me out alot with choosing!
Original post by dannimcq
I've heard some awful things about Aberedeen! Edinburagh seems so much more... classy? Saying that, the placement year would be AWESOME.

What 'awful' things? :curious:

Edinburgh becomes an incredibly dull city after two days. Glasgow's the best city in Scotland by quite some distance. Edinburgh's a tourist city, whereas Aberdeen's more of a 'real' city. Edinburgh's not bad for a daytrip, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to stay there for over two days.
Reply 5
go to edinburgh! i know someone else on the swan path who goes there. so it must be worthy.
Edinburgh's a nice city, but Heriot-Watt isn't really in Edinburgh. Aberdeen is also nice, just not as nice, and quieter. More like Cambridge, just slightly uglier.

However, base it on uni, not city.
Original post by TheSownRose
However, base it on uni, not city.

You should always take the city and the general environment into consideration. Why study somewhere you won't be happy at?...
Original post by RamocitoMorales
With the Robert Gordon University, you have Aberdeen city centre at your doorstep. With Heriot-Watt, you're in a self-sufficient campus which is isolated from the city of Edinburgh. Getting to the city requires a thirty minute train ride.

You mean bus ride.

It's really not that bad. HWU has a lovely campus and there are two main buses which take you to the city centre (and a first, the 45, but it's not that regular and I never take it). You have a train station approx 700 m south of the campus with trains going to Glasgow (Central Station in 1h15min) and Edinburgh. You'll get used to the 30 - 40 min (depending on which bus you take) ride to the city centre.
(edited 13 years ago)
You should always take the city and the general environment into consideration. Why study somewhere you won't be happy at?...

Maybe a mixture of the two; if he had a strong preference for Heriot-Watt, knowing it's quite a way out isn't a good sole reason to change his mind.

However, I would say it's easier to make your own fun than study in a uni you dislike, or forever wish you were in a different one.
Original post by TheSownRose
Maybe a mixture of the two; if he had a strong preference for Heriot-Watt, knowing it's quite a way out isn't a good sole reason to change his mind.

Yes. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Heriot Watt actually used to be on Queen Street until the 1980s, I think. At that point, they abandoned being in the heart of Edinburgh and moved out to Nowhereville next to Sighthill and Gogarburn.

Edinburgh becomes an incredibly dull city after two days.

I have lived there for all of my 23 years, and Edinburgh hasn't really got boring yet. There are always things to see and do, and the nightlife etc. is excellent.

Aberdeen? Bland and grey; miles from anywhere; almost nothing to see and do; and full of gazillionaire oil tycoon yuppies who live in the surrounding countryside and aren't even originally local anyway.

Glasgow's the best city in Scotland by quite some distance.

I don't think stand-up comedy is a suitable career for you.

Edinburgh's a tourist city, whereas Aberdeen's more of a 'real' city. Edinburgh's not bad for a daytrip, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to stay there for over two days.

Can I ask... why?? :lolwut:
Reply 12
Having grown up in Edinburgh, and then did my degree in Aberdeen, I think I might be qualified to ask this question.
I didn't go to RGU, but I know that not all of their classes are in town, there's a campus a bit out of town called Garthdee, so you might have the 'out of town' thing with both universities. Heriott-Watt is a lovely campus, and I have friends there who really like it, and they live in the city. I agree with BeyondAndAbove, you'll get used to the commute if you chose to live in the city.
I find that Edinburgh and Aberdeen kinda match up in terms of what they offer on a 'what you need to live' basis (such as shops, local transport, typical leisure activities, living space).
I would say there is more cultural events in Edinburgh, and far more venues and galleries so if that's your bag, pick Edinburgh. Edinburgh also has more nightclubs and you can get to Glasgow quickly for further entertainment! There is a lot of parks in Edinburgh as well, one thing that has struck me as difference, Aberdeen just doesn't seem to be anywhere near as green as Edinburgh. But then, Edinburgh is unusual in that respect. Aberdeen has a better beach though.
Aberdeen is more your average working city with shops, typical leisure activities (cinema, restaurants etc) but a lot less of the culture and definately less gigs (although a lot comedians manage to make their way here). Aberdeen is out of the way, takes 2.5 hours on the train to get to the central belt (Edinburgh/Glasgow and inbetween, where most people in Scotland live), and at least 3 hours on the bus, so it can feel isolated sometimes. Also the city that gets the most snow through the year apart from Inverness, I'm guessing. Rental price in Aberdeen is perhaps surprisingly high (I'd budget at least £300 a month, and £350 is more likely), because of the oil industry. If finance is an issue, bear that in mind. I think Edinburgh could be a bit cheaper, but I'm not sure, never had to rent here.
Lastly, weather wise they're probably similar but Aberdeen is probably a bit colder, and the winter in Aberdeen can seem neverending with the little amount of daylight, especially as that's when you'll be there for classes, but if you head home then not so much in the summer which is amazingly light.
So that's my kind of potted city guides. Pair that up with what you are thinking of the universities, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Given that you are trying to pick a back-up option out of them, you might not even end up at either!
Also, don't forget that Aberdeen is the wealthiest city in Scotland.
edinburgh has a lot more that what's there for tourists!
Also, don't forget that Aberdeen is the wealthiest city in Scotland.

i'm sure you won't let us. :rolleyes:
Reply 16

Edinburgh becomes an incredibly dull city after two days. Glasgow's the best city in Scotland by quite some distance. Edinburgh's a tourist city, whereas Aberdeen's more of a 'real' city. Edinburgh's not bad for a daytrip, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to stay there for over two days.

Apparently (now I don't KNOW because I haven't been there) its really grey, dull and boring and the people there don't take nicely to newcomers .. Take a looks at the reviews on whatuni.com !

I find this very ironic given at the start of 2010 you hated Aberdeen, didn't want to go there at all and now you're singing its praises because they're one of the few places who did accept you. This is not to mention the fact that the UCAS and Scottish university forums have heard all about your efforts to attempt to get into Glasgow and Edinburgh over the past 2 or 3 application cycles.... everything you say really does need to be taken with a massive piece of salt.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by dannimcq
Apparently (now I don't KNOW because I haven't been there) its really grey, dull and boring and the people there don't take nicely to newcomers .. Take a looks at the reviews on whatuni.com !

Original post by oxymoronic
I find this very ironic given at the start of 2010 you hated Aberdeen, didn't want to go there at all and now you're singing its praises because they're one of the few places who did accept you. This is not to mention the fact that the UCAS and Scottish university forums have heard all about your efforts to attempt to get into Glasgow and Edinburgh over the past 2 or 3 application cycles.... everything you say really does need to be taken with a massive piece of salt.

prepare to get eaten.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ch0llima
Aberdeen? Bland and grey; miles from anywhere; almost nothing to see and do; and full of gazillionaire oil tycoon yuppies who live in the surrounding countryside and aren't even originally local anyway.

If you say so...

Quick Reply

Latest