The Student Room Group

Aston CHEATED me off my pharmacy offer....HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by gleek#1
Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.
Advice needed, as I'm at a loss.:frown:

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.

its not really cheating, there are no rules regarding offers - if Aston wanted to offer you a place for 24 A* grades even if you were doing 3, then so be it - thats what they want. and if u feel they're unfair, just reject it and go to other uni, what else can i say.

i think i had unfair offer as well, usually Kings require AAA and a B at AS. for me they've offered a place for AAA and a B at an A level and not AS. bearing in mind others got lower offers, it was unfair but thats just the way it is, but the one thing im sure is you can't, other than as an opinion, state theyre cheaters and if you are only expressing your opinion, then just forget about it and go somewhere else.

regarding how to better the situation, im not sure if it is a good idea, double check with one of your teachers, and on their advice write to the uni and explain the situation. if they refure to change the offer, try to do your best and MOST IMPORTANTLY try to do extra activities such as Extended Project, and if you dont get an A in Biology, thei might say - ok, good student, done lots of other activities other than what we required, maybe its worth accepting.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
This isn't really cheating you out of (or off :p:) anything at all. It's not like the offer is in anyway impossible, it just requires you to put in a LOT of hard work- but if you want to, you can do that. Getting up to a high A from a B is entirely doable. Last year, in my AS levels, I did a past paper for my C1 exam, about two months before I was due to sit it, and I got a U. I worked on my maths a lot and I came out with an A, not just in that module but overall. Prove to them that you're good enough, because you are. They wouldn't have given you an offer at all if there wasn't a decent chance of you acheiving it.
Reply 42
WHoever told you about an offer of BBB was lying to you mate. I applied last year and was told at the open day that if i put Aston as firm and got BBB, they would very likely let me in, even though my original offer was of ABB...they said this to everyone in the hall and I remember people on this forum quoting that aswell. Even though I got BBB and put Aston as my firm, I still didnt get in, like many other people. I dont think anyone got in with BBB last year and I wouldnt see why anyone would this year what with the ever increasing competition. I know how you feel mate, I was absolutely gutted on results day and I still am over ten weeks later-had to end up in Bradford studying Pharmacy:mad: You just gotta really push for that AAB...if i could have gone back in time I would have done all or nothing, ie ensured that i got ABB, take all resits as possible to try and meet the condition cuz at least if you dont get in you know you did everything you could to get in. Sitting on TSR and complaining about it sure as hell wont help but doing some more resits and hitting the books hard actually will.
Reply 43
Original post by gleek#1
Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

sorry if i sound rude but thats a load of *******s. they can offer you what they want depending on what they think of you....i had BBB predictions and most of my offers were above that...they arent gonna offer you what you are predicted unless thats their standard offer...be grateful they have offered you
Reply 44
Original post by gleek#1

depends on competition, and there was lots i ended up getting an A in a different subject and they still let me in, i got a B in chem so dont be dishearterened by their offer they just want u too work ard and if u put them as ur firm they l prob let u in in

mY Offer last year was ABB and a A in chemistry which i knew i couldnt get, but i still put it as m firm as on the open day they said u may get in anyway
Reply 45
im in the same boat
i'm kind of annoyed because i'm luky to get a b in biologu
Original post by bbkk15
mY Offer last year was ABB and a A in chemistry which i knew i couldnt get, but i still put it as m firm as on the open day they said u may get in anyway

So did you get in then?
Reply 47
Cheated you of an offer. Come on. I'm doing medicine, I have no offers for it yet, just a straight rejection and another one is likely to come in the next few days. I'm predicted AAA, the courses ask for AAA, I'll be happy if I got a 3A* offer because an offers an offer and if I get an offer like that I'll work my guts off to make sure I get it, just be happy about the fact you got an offer. You can resit AS modules if you have to. Arghhh I don't see why people complain about their offers, think about the person who has to spend a gap year or do another course they don't want because you took their place and think about how lucky you are.
Reply 48
Original post by ali242

Original post by ali242
sorry if i sound rude but thats a load of *******s. they can offer you what they want depending on what they think of you....i had BBB predictions and most of my offers were above that...they arent gonna offer you what you are predicted unless thats their standard offer...be grateful they have offered you

Exactly. Better getting an offer than none at all.
Reply 49
Man up!
Reply 50
i applied to aston on 10th december with predicted a in bio, a in chem nd a in history and i still havent got an offer. be happy u got an offer cuz some people like me would be over the moon if they gt an offer form aston
Reply 51
Original post by riotgrrl
This isn't really cheating you out of (or off :p:) anything at all. It's not like the offer is in anyway impossible, it just requires you to put in a LOT of hard work- but if you want to, you can do that. Getting up to a high A from a B is entirely doable. Last year, in my AS levels, I did a past paper for my C1 exam, about two months before I was due to sit it, and I got a U. I worked on my maths a lot and I came out with an A, not just in that module but overall. Prove to them that you're good enough, because you are. They wouldn't have given you an offer at all if there wasn't a decent chance of you acheiving it.

Same here.
Original post by tubz194
i applied to aston on 10th december with predicted a in bio, a in chem nd a in history and i still havent got an offer. be happy u got an offer cuz some people like me would be over the moon if they gt an offer form aston

you should get an offer, come on AAA is great. what was your PS like? anyway you'l here from them by May. so dw too much.

Where else have you applied too?
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
they are trying to push you, think of it as a test. if you put the work in and manage to get the grade then you're worthy of a place, if you don't then you aren't a good enough standard.

surely this offer is better than them straight off rejecting you

This.
They may offer you a place even if you dont quite get the grades anyway. Some unis do. Cant you resit any as modules.
Reply 54
Original post by lnwn
NOPES, tis 'of' eg. I've been cheated of a chance to prove my grammar is good

Idiot.
Reply 55
Original post by Shake&Bake
So did you get in then?

yehhhh mann ima 2nd yeaarrrr woop woop lol
Original post by gleek#1
Thats all and well in fairy-land but in the real world they have a hidden agenda. I believe that they give higher offers than the predicted grades to make it extra difficult for applicants like me to get in, simply because they need some method for combating the increase in student numbers. I mean last year their offer grades were BBB standard no fuss no complications.

Aston BBB? Trust me, you are misinformed.
There is no hidden agenda here. Yes, high offers are made to control student numbers, which is why the more competitive universities give higher offers. For some reason, they were worried about your ability at Biology and so they want you to work harder. Did you get any Biology questions at interview?
Original post by bbkk15
yehhhh mann ima 2nd yeaarrrr woop woop lol

Thats cool im in 1st year :smile:
I think they've done that to everyone who has an offer...for instance my own offer is As in Chemistry and English and a B in Biology...So don't take it too hard. If you get AAB in the end they'll still accept you regardless of what grade to what subject apart from Chemistry that is.
Reply 59
LOL I find it funny reading that last year Aston made offers of BBB, im currently studying there and can confirm that last year everyone I know who is currently in the first year got offers of AAB and there is no-one on the course who achieved less than AAB, in fact most people got higher.

Work hard and you will do better than you expect. Have faith in yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending