The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by KingofSpades
It being in a foreign country, whose language must be learned, is the only thing about it that appeals to more more than study here.
What worms does it open when returning? I was under the impression that university was irrelevant? Enforcing this opinion is the number of Indian and Eastern European doctors in the UK

As far as I know, no universities out of Britain are GMC accredited. Bearing that in mind, there are even more hoops you need to jump through before getting a foundation year place. I don't know what these hoops are, however, but I believe there is a test you need to sit etc.
Original post by Beska
As far as I know, no universities out of Britain are GMC accredited. Bearing that in mind, there are even more hoops you need to jump through before getting a foundation year place. I don't know what these hoops are, however, but I believe there is a test you need to sit etc.

Ok, from what I have researched so far, and what I have been told, I would go as far as to say that you are wrong- in stating that there's a test that needs to be sat anyway- and maybe in the GMC accredited bit, too, as within the EU med degrees are transferable, to the extent that they it has become illegal for them even to question your English skills.
From what I have read, the biggest problem seems to be the fact that the Foundation Year 1 is incorporated into the 6 years, so that when you return, you have no option but to apply for year 2, irregardless of how (in)experienced you feel yourself to be.
Reply 22
Ok, from what I have researched so far, and what I have been told, I would go as far as to say that you are wrong- in stating that there's a test that needs to be sat anyway- and maybe in the GMC accredited bit, too, as within the EU med degrees are transferable, to the extent that they it has become illegal for them even to question your English skills.
From what I have read, the biggest problem seems to be the fact that the Foundation Year 1 is incorporated into the 6 years, so that when you return, you have no option but to apply for year 2, irregardless of how (in)experienced you feel yourself to be.

I don't even know where to start with this post.

1. I am not talking about English skills. I am talking about GMC-accredited degrees that allow a graduate straight progression into F1.

2. F1 isn't incorporated into the 6 years. What?

Do you own stocks in the Prague medical school or what?
Original post by Beska
I don't even know where to start with this post.

1. I am not talking about English skills. I am talking about GMC-accredited degrees that allow a graduate straight progression into F1.

2. F1 isn't incorporated into the 6 years. What?

Do you own stocks in the Prague medical school or what?

maybe :cool:

but seriously- no

F1 is incorporated into the 6 years. That much I have found out.
And they are GMC accredited, in that you can, as commonly happens, transfer back without hassle- according to EU law.

Anyway- this is just what I have picked up from reading other posts and snippets of information, and I would appreciate it if you could disprove them and thus clear up what misinterpretations I may have.

(there is no stark nationalism in what I have written, and the only tie I have to the uni is that I heard its name last week)
Reply 24
maybe :cool:

but seriously- no

F1 is incorporated into the 6 years. That much I have found out.
And they are GMC accredited, in that you can, as commonly happens, transfer back without hassle- according to EU law.

Anyway- this is just what I have picked up from reading other posts and snippets of information, and I would appreciate it if you could disprove them and thus clear up what misinterpretations I may have.

(there is no stark nationalism in what I have written, and the only tie I have to the uni is that I heard its name last week)

What 6 years are you talking about? F1 is not incorporated into anything. There is a competitive application process after medical school.

Link me the source that says it is GMC accredited?
Original post by Beska
What 6 years are you talking about? F1 is not incorporated into anything. There is a competitive application process after medical school.

Link me the source that says it is GMC accredited?

I'm talking about the Prague degree and the majority of EU continental med degrees that last 6 years. Straight to F2. Again, from what I have read.

looking for source now, may be 5
I think he's on about Charles. An acquaintance there tried to explain it to me in the summer, and from what I can remember they've essentially completed FY1 by the time they've left (though ideally someone in the know needs to second that).

e: Though whether they're ready for FY2 is another matter entirely. It's not that they're trained to a lesser standard, but rather they've trained in a system with an inherently different setup and with different expectations to our own. The transition is a difficult one, so I gather :sadnod:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
I'm talking about the Prague degree and the majority of EU continental med degrees that last 6 years. Straight to F2. Again, from what I have read.

Is it possible to go straight to F2?

Can you speak fluent Czech? :p:
Original post by Beska

You believe wrong.
If its a european uni medical degree its worth the same as a British uni

Straight to F2 if you can prove F1 competencies.

But its no different than a non intercalalted medical degree in british uni (5 years) + F1.
Reply 30
Original post by Jamie
You believe wrong.

Fair does!

I'm wrong, forget what I said. However, saying that, there is still a lot of barriers to successfully completing a degree in Prague.

e: Are there any barriers for British citizens applying from Prague etc. to F1?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Beska

Messy situation with the EU, freedom of movement is okay for fruit pickers and plumbers - but when doctors and dentists have a legal right to cross borders and pitch up shop problems ensue. At the moment EU doctors have as much right to practice in the UK as Brits and British trained medics - to do otherwise would violate the schengen agreement. However, the GMC are in the process of trying to block off such unregulated movement of doctors - it makes a mockery of medical education in the UK really. Non-EU doctors have to sit the PLAB - I also believe non-EU doctors are now banned from applying for foundation years.
Original post by ryan118244
So prestige of a medical school won't affect your medical career?

Prestige? no.

But it has been shown that oxbridge students tend to do better in postgraduate exams.
Certainly MRCP
Original post by Beska
Is it possible to go straight to F2?

Can you speak fluent Czech? :p:

http://www.gmc-uk.org/search.asp?client=gmc_frontend&site=gmc_collection&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=gmc_frontend&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=accreditation+&partialfields=&btnG=Google+Search&num=10&getfields=description&start=0&-as_sitesearch=http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns&filter=0&txtKeywords=accreditation+&cboSection=&cboUserType=

It's somewhere under there.

"'In connection with accreditation, the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of the Republic of Poland, which is the supervising authority of the University, has approved this program in writing stating that graduates shall obtain a "Dyplom Lekarza" (Academic Medical Diploma) to entitle them to apply for internship/residency in facilities "in Poland or elsewhere." Students will have the ability to go about United Europe as a Doctor with this credential once Poland joind United Europe.'
(This was clearly written before Poland joined the EU)."

"Your certificate from the regional medical chamber with which you are registered which confirms that the training leading to the award of your medical degree complies with the standards laid down in Article 23 the European Medical Directive 93/16/EEC. "

That's one regarding Poland and the EU; it is the same for all EU countries.

I can speak, as can the majority of students who go out there, approximately 0 Czech.
Reply 34
Original post by Jamie
You believe wrong.

A Swiss wouldn't be - but a Polish one would - stupid situation from what I can see.
Original post by Beska
However, saying that, there is still a lot of barriers to successfully completing a degree in Prague.

Absolutely.

Would be far more inclined to piss off to the Carribean if it got to that stage.

Charles is not a good place to go for a non-Czech speaker.
Original post by Organ
A Swiss wouldn't be - but a Polish one would - stupid situation from what I can see.

The Swiss don't really leave their country...
Reply 37
Original post by Jamie
Prestige? no.

But it has been shown that oxbridge students tend to do better in postgraduate exams.
Certainly MRCP

According to my interviewer at Newcastle, I thought Newcastle and Oxbridge were equal at MRCP?
Original post by Blatant Troll
I think he's on about Charles. An acquaintance there tried to explain it to me in the summer, and from what I can remember they've essentially completed FY1 by the time they've left (though ideally someone in the know needs to second that).

e: Though whether they're ready for FY2 is another matter entirely. It's not that they're trained to a lesser standard, but rather they've trained in a system with an inherently different setup and with different expectations to our own. The transition is a difficult one, so I gather :sadnod:

What has your friend told you about Prague?
Has he given you any pros? cons?
http://www.gmc-uk.org/search.asp?client=gmc_frontend&site=gmc_collection&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=gmc_frontend&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=accreditation+&partialfields=&btnG=Google+Search&num=10&getfields=description&start=0&-as_sitesearch=http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns&filter=0&txtKeywords=accreditation+&cboSection=&cboUserType=

It's somewhere under there.

"'In connection with accreditation, the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of the Republic of Poland, which is the supervising authority of the University, has approved this program in writing stating that graduates shall obtain a "Dyplom Lekarza" (Academic Medical Diploma) to entitle them to apply for internship/residency in facilities "in Poland or elsewhere." Students will have the ability to go about United Europe as a Doctor with this credential once Poland joind United Europe.'
(This was clearly written before Poland joined the EU)."

"Your certificate from the regional medical chamber with which you are registered which confirms that the training leading to the award of your medical degree complies with the standards laid down in Article 23 the European Medical Directive 93/16/EEC. "

That's one regarding Poland and the EU; it is the same for all EU countries.

I can speak, as can the majority of students who go out there, approximately 0 Czech.

Nowhere there does it say it makes you an F2.

Please elucidate

Latest