The Student Room Group

French Films

I don't often (make that never) post on the student room, but i thought this might be the best place to ask for some recommendations on where to begin with french cinema. I speak reasonable french; i've read lots of novels and i love the poetry (Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Cros, Mallarme, Eluard, Valery, Appolinaire - they're all awesome...) But french cinema is meant to be brilliant and i would love to start watching some classic french films. I've checked amazon lists and stuff but i'd just like an idea of good films and directors to start with. Googling 100 best french films isnt really that helpful, i need a concrete idea of great french films by great french directors. I'd appreciated some suggestions! Merci beaucoup.

Scroll to see replies

La Gloire de mon père is one of my favourites.
Reply 2
Le Mepris, dir. Jean-Luc Godard is one of my faves. Also check out Truffaut - Les 400 coups (amazing) and Jules et Jim. Start with the nouvelle vague classics! I have hundreds of recs actually - Cyrano de Bergerac with Depardieu is a personal fave as well as Les Enfants du Paradis and Belle du Jour (2 classics), but start with these...
You've probably come across this many times before but on the off-chance you haven't, you should definitely watch Amelie.

If you think you can stomach it I'd also suggest Irreversible, but I don't think this is like many of the other French films you'll see, very good though.
The obvz fav is Amelie <3 =p If you like that you might like 'A la folie, pas du tout' which also has Audrey Tautou in it. François Truffaut films are good (Le dernier Métro, Les 400 coups, Jules et Jim ...). Paris Je t'aime, Coco Avant Chanel, Les Choristes.
Original post by candide
I don't often (make that never) post on the student room, but i thought this might be the best place to ask for some recommendations on where to begin with french cinema. I speak reasonable french; i've read lots of novels and i love the poetry (Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Cros, Mallarme, Eluard, Valery, Appolinaire - they're all awesome...) But french cinema is meant to be brilliant and i would love to start watching some classic french films. I've checked amazon lists and stuff but i'd just like an idea of good films and directors to start with. Googling 100 best french films isnt really that helpful, i need a concrete idea of great french films by great french directors. I'd appreciated some suggestions! Merci beaucoup.

As many people have suggested here, it's worth starting with some stuff from the "Nouvelle Vague" - this is the term given to something of a revival in French cinema from the late 50s and throughout much of the 60s, dominated by original approaches and, quite honestly, some really innovative and impressive pieces. I'd recommend a lot of Truffaut's work, but would also like to add Agnès Varda's "Cléo de 5 à 7". It appears to be a bit like cinematic Marmite - ie. you either love it or hate it - but it's probably worth looking at as it is really unique and has inspired a lot of debate. This last film is also available on YouTube - look here for the playlist.

As for more modern films, I'm also a massive fan of "Les Choristes" (there's a trailer here).

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
My faves:

Paris
L'Auberge Espagnole
Russian Dolls (Sequal to L'Auberge Espagnole)
Welcome
The First Day of the Rest of Your Life
I've Loved You So Long
Reply 7
Mesrine-Part I et II
Fantastique!!
Great directing, very unique, and the acting is perfect. I reckon it fits in the crime thriller genre best.
Reply 8
Original post by candide

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (OSS 117: Le Caire nid d'espions). I don't speak French, but it had subtitles. It wasn't a great movie, but it was rather witty and charming, lol.
Reply 9
Delicatessen, Hors de Prix, 8 Femmes.. There's probably a lot more I can think of given more time.
Reply 10
A Prophet
Ameilie
A Bout de Souffle. A really beautiful film.
Reply 12
Original post by Languages Nutter
As for more modern films, I'm also a massive fan of "Les Choristes" (there's a trailer here).

Hope this helps!

^ THIS!!! so totally this!

also Amelie, like everyone else said,
another one of hers: Un long dimanche de fiançailles,

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is enjoyable :p: I found it very funny
Reply 13
Just start with Godard and Truffaut, explore the rest of the French New Wave, and work your way forward from there.
Reply 14
I really like Les Choristes, Hors de Prix, Jeux d'enfants, le Gloire de Mon Pere. Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis is hilarious. They're maybe not the kind of thing you're thinking of though?

Oh, and 'La Faute à Fidel/Blame it on Fidel' is on BBC4 in half an hour.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
ma vie en rose

amazing, especially if you like edith piaf (:
also "bonjour tristesse"

and i fully support whoever recommended Amelie and Les Choristes:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by midpikyrozziy
You've probably come across this many times before but on the off-chance you haven't, you should definitely watch Amelie.

If you think you can stomach it I'd also suggest Irreversible, but I don't think this is like many of the other French films you'll see, very good though.

The best part of Irreversible is at the start (or end, depending on which way you look at it) when the rapist gets his head caved in with a fire extinguisher :biggrin:

Sorry for spoiling the start (or ending) for anybody who hasn't seen it.
I love La Haine.

Interesting ones to have a look at would be Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources
Dinner de cons lol or Les Choristes

Or if you like action, any french film made by Luc Besson
Reply 19
Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources are supposed to be really good as is la vie en rose and le grande illusion
i love les choristes + coco avant channel
the class is worth watching too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending