The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie

Charles is not a good place to go for a non-Czech speaker.

you in the know?
Reply 41
Original post by KingofSpades
What has your friend told you about Prague?
Has he given you any pros? cons?

You may want to be aware that the GMC are trying to stop what this medical school does at the moment. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11927090
Original post by Jamie
Nowhere there does it say it makes you an F2.

Please elucidate

lol I was responding to the not having to take an exam upon entering the UK and GMC accreditation
Ok, from what I have researched so far, and what I have been told, I would go as far as to say that you are wrong- in stating that there's a test that needs to be sat anyway- and maybe in the GMC accredited bit, too, as within the EU med degrees are transferable, to the extent that they it has become illegal for them even to question your English skills.
From what I have read, the biggest problem seems to be the fact that the Foundation Year 1 is incorporated into the 6 years, so that when you return, you have no option but to apply for year 2, irregardless of how (in)experienced you feel yourself to be.

Really you can/or even have to apply for the second foundation year? In Sweden if one does a medical degree elsewhere it is accepted as long as one completes all of the foundation years in Sweden...
Where did you find info about the foundation yrs in the UK and coming from a non-UK medschool??
Reply 44
Original post by Organ
Messy situation with the EU, freedom of movement is okay for fruit pickers and plumbers - but when doctors and dentists have a legal right to cross borders and pitch up shop problems ensue. At the moment EU doctors have as much right to practice in the UK as Brits and British trained medics - to do otherwise would violate the schengen agreement. However, the GMC are in the process of trying to block off such unregulated movement of doctors - it makes a mockery of medical education in the UK really. Non-EU doctors have to sit the PLAB - I also believe non-EU doctors are now banned from applying for foundation years.

I always used to think non-British doctors needed to sit the PLAB. Oops!
The problem is that medical school is getting more and more popular everywhere...at the same time it's like an inflation of grades and stuff..at least in Sweden...anyone who doesn't know that they want to do medicine when they're 14 almost ain't got no chance...

Have u tried other unis in eastern europe?
If I dont get in to the uk I'm either gonna take another gap year and try again (for the second time) or apply to a medical school in Poland which is similar to the one in prague... the course will be in english and it's traditional so before one gets to the clinical years u can and have time to learn the language
you in the know?

Seven years on this website
You think you're the first person to go? :rolleyes:

Never heard a good thing about the place. Except of course at medlink/medsim who are paid to do so.
Original post by MizzCupcakes
The problem is that medical school is getting more and more popular everywhere...at the same time it's like an inflation of grades and stuff..at least in Sweden...anyone who doesn't know that they want to do medicine when they're 14 almost ain't got no chance...

Have u tried other unis in eastern europe?
If I dont get in to the uk I'm either gonna take another gap year and try again (for the second time) or apply to a medical school in Poland which is similar to the one in prague... the course will be in english and it's traditional so before one gets to the clinical years u can and have time to learn the language

In Eastern (Central if we're not generalizing) Europe grades matter little for admissions. Competition will not increase any time in the foreseeable future. As I said when I messaged you, most seem unpleasant and disreputable. Note the word seem. As it is, I have a year so am researching, as what particularly appeals to me are the language opportunities (I looked into Russian courses in English, as that would have been ideal, had it not been reported that all tests are subject to how drunk the examiner is and whether he harbors like or dislike for you).

http://www.valuemd.com/

Check that forum; got pretty much all non UK/US med schools on there

edit: do you know anything about the Polish ones?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska
According to my interviewer at Newcastle, I thought Newcastle and Oxbridge were equal at MRCP?

Your interviewer was full of poo

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1741-7015-6-5.pdf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/feb/14/highereducation.uk1
In Eastern (Central if we're not generalizing) Europe grades matter little for admissions. Competition will not increase any time in the foreseeable future. As I said when I messaged you, most seem unpleasant and disreputable. Note the word seem. As it is, I have a year so am researching, as what particularly appeals to me are the language opportunities (I looked into Russian courses in English, as that would have been ideal, had it not been reported that all tests are subject to how drunk the examiner is and whether he harbors like or dislike for you).

http://www.valuemd.com/

Check that forum; got pretty much all non UK/US med schools on there

Ok just read that message no what i meant was where did you get info that you can get into second foundation yrs in the UK?? form a uk website not the ones from czech or poland.. I met someone who is studying at a polish meduni and I know a lot of people who know others who study there..the thing is that here in Sweden admissions is pretty much a lottery so it's hard to get in and somehow there is some kind of deal with polish medunis since when I talked to this girl she was like "there are 100 swedes in our course and 20 americans" and I called admissions to check what my chances of getting in was and it's a clear passage so I know all of this...what I would like to know is where u can get info about foundation years in the uk from eu-medschools? I've tried but with no luck when searching...
Reply 50

"Part 1 and 2 performance of Oxford, Cambridge and Newcastle-upon-Tyne graduates was significantly better than average"

Perhaps not.
What has your friend told you about Prague?
Has he given you any pros? cons?

Accommodation is ****
Learning Czech is a bitch
The aforementioned reintegration. This was seconded by a junior doc on my work experience years ago, who said she had played serious catch up - for reasons other than quality of teaching as I say.

I'm acutely aware that I'm only chatting anecdotes, and that's all I can offer you unfortunately. But it's safe to say that Charles is not an easy option by any means.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ok just read that message no what i meant was where did you get info that you can get into second foundation yrs in the UK?? form a uk website not the ones from czech or poland.. I met someone who is studying at a polish meduni and I know a lot of people who know others who study there..the thing is that here in Sweden admissions is pretty much a lottery so it's hard to get in and somehow there is some kind of deal with polish medunis since when I talked to this girl she was like "there are 100 swedes in our course and 20 americans" and I called admissions to check what my chances of getting in was and it's a clear passage so I know all of this...what I would like to know is where u can get info about foundation years in the uk from eu-medschools? I've tried but with no luck when searching...

that forum I linked you to. can't remember the specific thread(s) but it has been repeated quite a few times- someone above commented that it was true, also.
Are you Swedish? Are you already a re applicant? What Polish students have you spoken to, from what unis, and what did they say.
Original post by Blatant Troll
Accommodation is ****
Learning Czech is a bitch
The aforementioned reintegration.

I've read that the attrition rate is around 50-60%
Know anything about this? (Whether it's because candidates who go are generally not as academically strong, they can't stick the language etc...?
Have you heard about the teaching standard?
that forum I linked you to. can't remember the specific thread(s) but it has been repeated quite a few times- someone above commented that it was true, also.
Are you Swedish? Are you already a re applicant? What Polish students have you spoken to, from what unis, and what did they say.

What do u mean by already? The first medical school that I ever really applied to was the four choices to the uk this year...I just didn't know about the early application for the uk so when I looked it up it was already too late... so this is my first application to the uk and my swedish one didn't go so well (for the spring because here courses start in both autumn and spring), but the uk is my first choice anyways..

I've talked to swedish people studying at polish med schools and friends and swedishmedstudent who know people who are studying in Poland. From Gdansk mainly..but all the others as well Poznan Warsaw etc. It's well known here that a lot of Swedish students are studying med school in mainly Poland second is Romania and then Czech I think...
The girl I talked to said it was ok the only difference is that it is traditional and demanding since neither english nor polish is the first language..but otherwise they let u do a lot even before clinical yrs. If u say u can eg sow a wound they let u do it even if ur in your third or fourth yr...Then they have this rule that one has to have work experience out of school in between the yrs. That's how I met her during my work experience in the summer at the hospital She was there doing her four apparently mandatory weeks of experience...
What do u mean by already? The first medical school that I ever really applied to was the four choices to the uk this year...I just didn't know about the early application for the uk so when I looked it up it was already too late... so this is my first application to the uk and my swedish one didn't go so well (for the spring because here courses start in both autumn and spring), but the uk is my first choice anyways..

I've talked to swedish people studying at polish med schools and friends and swedishmedstudent who know people who are studying in Poland. From Gdansk mainly..but all the others as well Poznan Warsaw etc. It's well known here that a lot of Swedish students are studying med school in mainly Poland second is Romania and then Czech I think...
The girl I talked to said it was ok the only difference is that it is traditional and demanding since neither english nor polish is the first language..but otherwise they let u do a lot even before clinical yrs. If u say u can eg sow a wound they let u do it even if ur in your third or fourth yr...Then they have this rule that one has to have work experience out of school in between the yrs. That's how I met her during my work experience in the summer at the hospital She was there doing her four apparently mandatory weeks of experience...

ah ok. Were you rejected from Swedish Med Schools? I've heard that also- do the people you know mention teaching standards, bribes and a poor examination system that doesn't credit hard work??

A man can dream
ah ok. Were you rejected from Swedish Med Schools? I've heard that also- do the people you know mention teaching standards, bribes and a poor examination system that doesn't credit hard work??

Yeah I got rejected from all seven of them xP there are a lot of applicants though and you gotta have top grades in every subject and then extra points. It's a messed up system but even those with the highest grades dont get in since competition is fierce and they litterally make it into a lottery so the person who gets in got there by chance...

Nah she said that it is a good school and u really do have to study hard since u have to know everything by the book and elsewhere! so she was like "dont worry if u dont like the place u aint gonna have time to do anything else than studying most of the time anyways" but bribes dont work if u dont have decent grades.. When I called she said that I could get in because I have top grades in Chem, bio and english it is hard for those who dont have that and have to do better on the admission test and interview.even then it's a maybe. So money is not all, though if u have the grades and the money ur basically in (especially if u know polish as well)
I think it depends on which uni as well..I dunno bout charles but Gdansk, Warsaw and Poznan have a good rep I think... yet again I think I have an advantage since it seems like they have reserved places for swedish students..
Yeah I got rejected from all seven of them xP there are a lot of applicants though and you gotta have top grades in every subject and then extra points. It's a messed up system but even those with the highest grades dont get in since competition is fierce and they litterally make it into a lottery so the person who gets in got there by chance...

Nah she said that it is a good school and u really do have to study hard since u have to know everything by the book and elsewhere! so she was like "dont worry if u dont like the place u aint gonna have time to do anything else than studying most of the time anyways" but bribes dont work if u dont have decent grades.. When I called she said that I could get in because I have top grades in Chem, bio and english it is hard for those who dont have that and have to do better on the admission test and interview.even then it's a maybe. So money is not all, though if u have the grades and the money ur basically in (especially if u know polish as well)
I think it depends on which uni as well..I dunno bout charles but Gdansk, Warsaw and Poznan have a good rep I think... yet again I think I have an advantage since it seems like they have reserved places for swedish students..

Yeh, well I intend to apply to UK unis, Polish and German, depending on my level of German next year. I've read that the ones in Warsaw and Krakow are the best. Do you speak any Polish?
Original post by Beska
"Part 1 and 2 performance of Oxford, Cambridge and Newcastle-upon-Tyne graduates was significantly better than average"

Perhaps not.

You said
"Newcastle and Oxbridge were equal at MRCP?"

Link 1 (2008) says..."Most (83%) Oxbridge graduates passed the first part at their initial attempt, as did 67% from Newcastle"

Far from equal.

Latest

Trending

Trending